Friday OT #1 - I Had Some Time Alone

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
What all is different about your day-to-day routine right now? Are you wearing different clothes (like, I have only changed from one pair of pajama pants to another all week)? Are you working or learning in a different place? Are you doing anything different to remember this COVID-19 outbreak time?

I feel like this is one of those 9/11, JFK assassination, Challenger explosion types of moments - 25 years from now, teachers are going to be having kids ask adults where they were during this time when the whole world is basically stopped. (For most, the answer is, "at home.") I am working from home one week, in office the next, and alternating - but I'm keeping a journal on a Google Doc so that I can give it to my grandkids one day to take to school.

What are you all doing?

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Working from home, so been working in sweatpants or PJs rather than business casual.

Otherwise, adjusting to the social distancing.

Reactions: Angie

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Working at home when I can, but sometimes I have to go to work sites to get stuff done. Luckily it is pretty easy to distance when there.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Working from home, so been working in sweatpants or PJs rather than business casual.

Otherwise, adjusting to the social distancing.

I'm fairly introverted, so the not seeing people isn't super-hard on me... but my 5-yr-old
son NEEDS people. So this has not been his happiest time.

• Friendly
Reactions: NWICY

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I'm fairly introverted, so the not seeing people isn't super-hard on me... but my 5-yr-old

I tend to be more introverted as well, so I like my me time, but to have it be ALL the time is an adjustment.

Which is kind of nice that we have the technology with texting/apps, etc. Still been able to maintain contact with family, friends, small group, etc

Reactions: Angie and MeanDean

Colorado

Aug 29, 2008
Colorado
I'm working more hours which needs to change. The convenience of having your laptop and work phone within easy reach is a problem. I just need to create new habits.

My wife is still going into an office despite a ban on public gatherings of 10 or more people.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor

Most of the time, my 5 year old throws a fit about going to school. Yesterday afternoon, he lost it and demanded to go back to school.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Im on vacay, everything was "normal" when we left, not so much when we got back. Go back to work Monday. Pigs gotta eat.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
My life doesn't look drastically different, other than not going into bars/restaurants or being in a group of more than 10.

I've been going to work every day, but it's a very un-crowded work place. Stop at the gas station or grocery store, and have continued to interact with a handful of friends in person, but always in the "less than 10" amount.

Once I have good reason to suspect infection or contact, I'll reduce myself to in the house or work.

Reactions: SCyclone

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I go out to either Hy-Vee or Walmart each morning and just walk around and observing what is in peoples carts and what people are buying most.

I did see a lady that had over 60 pot pies in here cart at Hy-Vee yesterday. My wife drove around to her daycare families and friends of ours just to roll down the window and wave hi!

My HS senior son just plays X-Box. I got up at 4 am just as he was going to bed.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Not a great deal of change since I'm retired.

Super super aware of personal distance.

Learned to punch the condo elevator buttons with my middle finger knuckle instead of my finger tips.

Washing my hands literally EVERY time I walk back into my unit.

Was planning to come back to IA via a circular route via the East Coast to include a couple of events - that have obviously been cancelled now. Departure date was to be 22 April. Right now it looks like more like a direct route marathon drive (NO MOTEL ROOMS, thank you very much). Probably more like 1 May. Grab a few winks along the way with 2 drivers that's doable. If the 'hot weather better' theory is verified that means better to stay here longer anyway.

Have lots of appointments in IA starting the second week in May so unless those are cancelled I need to be back by then. If not I'll probably be posting on the "Needing Help" thread for someone to mow the grass

All in all I've got it very good and know it.

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie and NWICY

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Spouse and I are wfh plus 1.5 toddler.

Pros: just rolling out of bed and going.
Changing from one pair of yoga pants to another
Extra time with toddler
Still having a job and feel secure it will stay.

Cons: surprise video calls and they ask you to put on video.
Spouse tended to work too late before at work.......now work is always here. Last night he went till at least midnight.
Toddler + conference calls

Son is very social so I do think hes going to miss his friends and teachers and I'm not sure how to help that.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Reading the OP, it made me realize that I will NEVER think of going to NY in my life again. We were supposed to go to NY this year because the stars aligned and ISU and our local spring breaks aligned. Cancelled out because things were getting shut down and didn't want to get stranded.

There was one other time that I was supposed to go to NY and it was for work. A little less than 20 years ago. September 10th 2001 I was to fly out but something came up that the bosses bumped me back.

Screw that town.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'm used to time to myself and don't go out much and really don't like eating out so overall this is fine by me and am hopeful this hits home for people how living simple can be healthy.

I just hate the circumstances.

Got directed to quarantine from the Dr. the other day due to a fever (have been fine since, no fever or symptoms) so not even going outside is weird...this gloomy weather doesn't help either.

I live in an apartment and would really like to just get stuff from my car, check my mail etc. but am super paranoid.

• Friendly

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
You would think I have this down since I was a stay-at-home-mom for 15years. Even after I went back to work, I only work T-Th 7:45-12:15. Hubby has worked at home for the past 2+ years so we are used to having him home. We did claim this week as spring break so come Monday we will have a bit more structure. But I have had no motivation to put on jeans and am living in exercise clothes and lounge wear. Even showering every other day is being pushed out a day further.

I will say I am not going to set up a whole homeschool curriculum. I have kids ranging from 1st grade to 11th grade. Our school is not doing anything online. We will have a structured day but will do things like music, connecting with people (FaceTime or phone call or write letters), my oldest will do some studying for the ACT which was already been cancelled and pushed into June.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
You would think I have this down since I was a stay-at-home-mom for 15years. Even after I went back to work, I only work T-Th 7:45-12:15. Hubby has worked at home for the past 2+ years so we are used to having him home. We did claim this week as spring break so come Monday we will have a bit more structure. But I have had no motivation to put on jeans and am living in exercise clothes and lounge wear. Even showering every other day is being pushed out a day further.

I will say I am not going to set up a whole homeschool curriculum. I have kids ranging from 1st grade to 11th grade. Our school is not doing anything online. We will have a structured day but will do things like music, connecting with people (FaceTime or phone call or write letters), my oldest will do some studying for the ACT which was already been cancelled and pushed into June.

Our school attorneys have said it is illegal to do on-line stuff outside of hey, why don't you look at this stuff. Kinda sad really.

• Friendly
  • Informative
Reactions: NWICY and Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Our school attorneys have said it is illegal to do on-line stuff outside of hey, why don't you look at this stuff. Kinda sad really.

Yeah, especially since Mediacom is offering free internet for 2 months, you'd think kids could grab their chromebooks from school via the bus routes that are running in many districts, and make this happen.

I am doing homeschooling, but only because my children need routine. They are both excellent students, well ahead... but they have needed a routine since they were infants. Having "okay, this is reading time, here are the choices" has helped them from going bananas.

Reactions: NWICY

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron