Friday OT #1 - Covered Up

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Thanks to @mj4cy for this thread!

Name a cover of another song that is better than the original.

Cake’s “I Will Survive” is a favorite here. What are yours?
This is heresy. I danced on the head table at my wedding to I Will Survive.

Yes. It was as sexy as it sounds.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Doing my extensive research on this topic I learned that Janis Joplin's Me and Bobby McGee is a remake. How did I not know this?

Also, I learned that My Way was originally written by a French singer and songwriter. I don't think it will ever be possible to top Sinatra's version.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
If they were earlier would they be in that Violent Femmes area? Interesting, but not too popular.

It is funny you say this, because I had debated the same thing and thought about posting it. I was thinking Smiths, Sugarcubes, Femmes. They might fit into that alternative niche! REM before they got huge.

Reactions: madguy30

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Shonen Knife’s adaptation might not transcend the original, but it’s a blast. (Side note: The full tribute LP is worth a listen, if you want unique takes on The Carpenters catalog)

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I stumbled across this one back in the early days of Napster. Fiona Apple does an amazing take on Jimi Hendrix's Angel.

Reactions: Angie

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Cat Stevens wrote and released this song in 1967, but the best version is by Rod Stewart 1977 (and tough toenails for Sheryll Crow).

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
And Stewart's version of "Twistin' the Night Away" has endured better than the original by Sam Cooke. Especially because of the guitar and drum solos...

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
And, no disrespect intended for Little Eva, but... (did you know Carole King co-wrote this?)

Reactions: cychhosis

BurgundyClone

Apr 15, 2007
East of Omaha
Going with 2 country songs here. "Callin Baton Rouge" was originally recorded by The Oak Ridge Boys in 1978 then it became a huge hit for Garth Brooks in 1993

Then to flip this around The Oak Ridge Boys were not the first one to record their big hit "Elvira" The song writer Dallas Frazier released it in 1966 and it only hit 72 on the billboard 100. Kenny Rogers recorded it in 1970 then Rodney Crowell released it in 1978 and it only peaked at 95. Finally the version most know by the ORB became a #1 hit in 1981.

Apparently there are a lot of cover versions of Elvira out there but some are just performances and not actual album recordings: https://secondhandsongs.com/performance/177867/versions They are missing 1 on that list as William Lee Golden and his sons just recently put out an album covering a bunch of classic hits including Elvira and The Eagles "Take it Easy" to name a couple.

Wow, thanks for these, had no idea Elvira was a cover

Reactions: CYdTracked

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Funny this one is brought into the thread. It was brought up on Morning Rush this morning. Travis pooped all over it, of course.
I almost tweeted at The Morning Rush Pentatonix's version of Sound of Silence, but I didn't because I didn't want Travis crapping all over the version I thoroughly enjoy.

• Winner
Reactions: SaraV