Freaky dreams

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JVAR

Mar 27, 2006
Eagle Grove, IA
I was very fortunate to have a great father. He wasn’t perfect but he loved me and always had my back and we were very close. When I was a young adult and right out of college, I got married and became a father. He got to meet my little girl and spent a lot of time with her for about 18 months, but then I got the call that every child hates. He had died of a massive heart attack. Really messed me up and I really struggled, even though I had already been through a fair amount of trauma in my life. Really struggled because I never had closure with him. Never got to say goodbye. One night about six or so months after he died, I had a dream I was standing my in moms kitchen and he came walking in. I looked shocked and told him I thought he was dead. He gave me a hug and told me that he was alive but just somewhere else and to be a man take care of my mom and my family like he did. He then told me that he loved me and would see me again someday. I usually don’t dream but it seemed so real and powerful. I woke up immediately and felt a sense of peace. Still impacts me 22 years later.

Last edited:

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I have all sorts of vivid dreams, Some that stick with me and some that fade away quickly after I wake up.
Many of mine also have themes.

1. Backing up my vehicle and it won't stop. It just keeps going slowly backwards no matter how hard I use the brakes until it either hits something or goes off some sort of embankment

2. Park my vehicle somewhere and when I return it is no longer there. Sometimes I find it in another place and other times I don't. I've actually gotten out of bed more than once to check on it.

3. Some random situation where eventually I realize I'm not wearing any pants

4. I'm trying to find a bathroom and all I find are disgusting overflowing toilets or other weird situations like the toilet is in the middle of a room with a party going on.. I usually have to pee when I wake up from one of those dreams.

5. One time I got arrested in a dream and woke up in jail. As I slowly opened my eyes to await my fate I realized I was in my own bed and the relief washed over me when I finally realized that I hadn't been arrested at all.

BDAL23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2019
I dream often and remember a lot of my dreams as well.
The wildest dream I had was while I was in the Navy. I was on port call in Alaska. I went to bed early that night instead of going out drinking. I had a dream that night that I was hanging out playing pool with my best friend back in Iowa. Then after joking around for awhile he says he has to go and has to be moving on. I wake up thinking it’s a weird dream and go back to sleep.
About a week later I arrive in San Diego and call home. I find out my friend committed suicide the night I had that dream.
6 months later I have another dream of my friend and we are at a party. He asks me to stay as everything starts decaying and rotting and color turns to black and white. I try to wake up but can’t. I can’t breathe and am struggling to go. My friend yells Leave and I wake up gasping for air and sit straight up. A car was pulling out of the garage below the apartment and the headlights flashed in my room. I saw my friend in my room waving goodbye to me. When the car drove off and the room was dark my friend was gone.
I’ve never dreamed about my friend since then

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
I was very fortunate to have a great father. He wasn’t perfect but he loved me and always had my back and we were very close. When I was a young adult and right out of college, I got married and became a father. He got to meet my little girl and spent a lot of time with her for about 18 months, but then I got the call that every child hates. He had died of a massive heart attack. Really messed me up and I really struggled, even though I had already been through a fair amount of trauma in my life. Really struggled because I never had closure with him. Never got to say goodbye. One night about six or so months after he died, I had a dream I was standing my in moms kitchen and he came walking in. I looked shocked and told him I thought he was dead. He gave me a hug and told me that he was alive but just somewhere else and to be a man take care of my mom and my family like he did. He then told me that he loved me and would see me again someday. I usually don’t dream but it seemed so real and powerful. I woke up immediately and felt a sense of peace. Still impacts me 22 years later.
Superb post!
I was 19 when my father died of a heart attack. I've had similar dreams even 40 years later. It's the closure part we didn't get. And for me also ties into Heaven. Thanks again for sharing.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Weird question, but does anyone have dreams about their deceased pets? I keep hoping I do because I've had alot of dreams about relatives, but the pet dreams just don't happen.

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Sometimes when I transition from deep sleep into REM I experience a kind of out of body experience where I’m not in control of myself. Coupled with my hyper fundamentalist upbringing, I often feel like I’m possessed. Woke up a couple months ago growling “SATAN, SATAN, SATAN” over and over again. Wife loves it.

• Haha
Reactions: JP4CY and aauummm

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
The college problems dream is very common. My son and his wife both have it recurring. Mine is my first day of college and I am not registered yet, or I don’t know where the classroom is, or I can’t get to class. Over 100 times recurred. The other recurring (10x) is similar to OP. I am inside my childhood home or another house I lived in. Things are different inside. Then I realize it’s not my place anymore and I am trespassing and I have to get out.
This sound very familiar to mine. In mine, I don’t have a schedule, must have misplaced it, so have no idea where I’m supposed to be. I somehow realize there is an office where I’m supposed to be able to go get a copy of my schedule. I get there, always in the basement of some huge building, but the door’s locked. There are people in there, I knock and knock, but nobody answers the door.

I’ve had this dream a LOT, and it’s a heart pounder.

Reactions: cyclones500

Nelcyn

Nov 29, 2012
Colorado
Until late 20's I had reoccurring dreams of my teeth falling out. Another one was that I missed college class and was not able to graduate. I graduated from ISU in four years.

Reactions: SolarGarlic

engineer_doug

Sep 12, 2016
I once dreamed I was at work. I don't recall anything unusual, it seemed like any other work day.

Then I woke up and realized my work day had not yet begun.

I was not a happy camper that day.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Take some melatonin before you go to bed. It helps you sleep better and the dreams are more intense.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I've had a recurring dream about skipping a class the entire final semester of high school and not being able to graduate.

My friend passed away suddenly in college. I had a dream I was walking around town and I saw him on his skateboard. We got to chat a little and told him how much we missed him. It really helped me cope with his death.

The other night I dreamed I was at a college football playoff game. Bumped into Trevor Noah heading to the stadium and he asked if I was sticking around for the after party. My friends were stunned I knew him.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Weird question, but does anyone have dreams about their deceased pets? I keep hoping I do because I've had alot of dreams about relatives, but the pet dreams just don't happen.
I think I had one dream involving deceased cat (he lived to be 18, so longtime pet) - but his presence in that dream was secondary to main "plot" (I can't recall anything else about that one)

Reactions: NoCreativity

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I have all sorts of vivid dreams, Some that stick with me and some that fade away quickly after I wake up.
Many of mine also have themes.

1. Backing up my vehicle and it won't stop. It just keeps going slowly backwards no matter how hard I use the brakes until it either hits something or goes off some sort of embankment

2. Park my vehicle somewhere and when I return it is no longer there. Sometimes I find it in another place and other times I don't. I've actually gotten out of bed more than once to check on it.

3. Some random situation where eventually I realize I'm not wearing any pants

4. I'm trying to find a bathroom and all I find are disgusting overflowing toilets or other weird situations like the toilet is in the middle of a room with a party going on.. I usually have to pee when I wake up from one of those dreams.

5. One time I got arrested in a dream and woke up in jail. As I slowly opened my eyes to await my fate I realized I was in my own bed and the relief washed over me when I finally realized that I hadn't been arrested at all.
I had a DUI when I was 23. I still have dreams of getting another one fairly regularly. There is nothing like the relief that comes from waking from one of those or the missed class/test dreams we all seem to have. I love how specific those dreams are to the college experience. Our brains are definitely doing some important work at that age, and we are treating it horribly lol

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Until late 20's I had reoccurring dreams of my teeth falling out. Another one was that I missed college class and was not able to graduate. I graduated from ISU in four years.
My teeth don't fall out, but my braces (had them when I was 14) are slowly coming unraveled. As I pull them off my teeth, my teeth come out with the braces. Those dreams suck, but I've had them enough to know they aren't real when I'm in them.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Another dream I have maybe once a year is getting into a fight with someone and being unable to throw a punch. Like my arm just goes limp and my fist barely reaches the target.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
If I have vivid dreams they always seem to be tornado dreams. No one ever dies or gets hurt in them, but the tornado always just destroys the neighborhood. Don’t ever wake up sweating from them or anything like that. They are just super vivid and intense.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones500