First Place

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
In the first week of February last season is when they really hit a lull and looked like they were playing under water in a few games.

There's depth and hopefully a good plan to manage that this season.

I like the gap of days between @ Tech and hosting KU.
That is when we hit the turnaround in the conference, teams figured out our D and that if you push IZB right that we had nearly no offense.

Reactions: isutrevman

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
How Houston didn't drop more than 8-10 spots after LOSING at HOME to a poor Temple team is unreal. No way they should be in the Top 10 after that fiasco is beyond me.
I watched 2 Houston games this year and came away unimpressed. Have they beaten any good teams this year other than Virginia?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Last yr and this yr both someday people will have to admit we have a hell of a staff and players who buy in and want to be at ISU.

There's many that hopefully come around to the idea that the applicant list wasn't going to meet whatever standard they've decided the program is at.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Correct. League play is really, really hard.
The AAC is garbage. That probably hurts Houston in way though, because their motivation has to really be fabricated on a game by game basis. It would be hard to consistently get up for games against the Temple, Tulane, Tulsa's of the world.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Pillow fight? The big 10 west in football is a pillow fight. The big 12 bball schedule is more like a royal rumble (if wrestling were real).
Yeah....another poster corrected to "rock" and that is correct. :)

I found a video file that will likely feel like that last Saturday of conference play, lol

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I do want to see how this squad responds to being hunted. In previous years the dark horse seemed like ISU's security blanket

It's something to consider. But I feel like this team "has no memory" (as a unit and individually).

A player might take a bad shot or have boneheaded turnover, but then hustle back and take a charge, disrupt a shot, get a rebound or steal ... Or lose a player on D then come right back and nail a good shot/assist. And maybe times on the immediate possession switch or maybe one after it .. not like a couple of minutes later.

Sometimes equally after doing something good/big, not dwelling on celebration.

It's like, whenever something is done, it didn't happen, good or bad -- the present is all that matters.

Excuse my philosophical sidetracking there. :)

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006

I think we still want to proceed carefully in this space. TJ has been absolutely amazing so far, but he still has one major hurdle to clear starting next year and that is proving he can win with young, high level talent. That is a different position than he has been in so far and is going to be key to the program continuing to improve going forward. And it will require additional skills as far as managing egos and more teaching and development.

Consider this my trauma from the McDermott era. The guy had clearly shown he could coach at UNI and later at Creighton, but just couldn't manage the high talent guys he had at ISU. TJ hasn't had the chance to show that yet. For me it is the last big question mark.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Remember this was supposed to be the filler year where we thought just maybe we could get on the bubble....now there's no reason why we shouldn't be gunning for the Big 12 title.
I'm an optimist and my hope for last year was simply to establish an identity and generate some excitement, and maybe finish above .500. My hope (at the start of last year, for this year) was to contend for a tournament berth.

Last edited:
Reactions: Acer88

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
I think we still want to proceed carefully in this space. TJ has been absolutely amazing so far, but he still has one major hurdle to clear starting next year and that is proving he can win with young, high level talent. That is a different position than he has been in so far and is going to be key to the program continuing to improve going forward. And it will require additional skills as far as managing egos and more teaching and development.

Consider this my trauma from the McDermott era. The guy had clearly shown he could coach at UNI and later at Creighton, but just couldn't manage the high talent guys he had at ISU. TJ hasn't had the chance to show that yet. For me it is the last big question mark.
Why does he have to do that? He’s going to do it but the transfer portal is here and wide open for us now.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

I've wondered a little about that. Getting highly touted freshman to buy in could be a challenge. That being said any one watching this team knows that team and defense come 1st and individual glory way down the list.
I'm assuming the staff and upperclassmen will set the tone and teach the young ones what needs to be done.