Fiji Tips (Honeymoon)

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I went to Fiji around 10 years, but that was as a student, and on a 2 week layover to Aussie.

Fiji Bitter is really good beer, wish we could get that in the states. When your asking for one though, ask for a fiji baby, and the locals will like you more. They call them fiji babies because the bottles are short, fat, and black.

Agree with whoever stated you should do as much scuba diving as possible if you are into that. Or at least Snorkel. I've been scuba diving in Fiji, Australia (2 places near the reef), 2 places off Mexico, and in Jamaica. Diving in Fiji was by far the best!

Yasawa islands are really nice so you really lucked out. We did a 5-7 day trip through the islands hopping to 2 to 4 hostels along the way. If they surf is good, I'd go out and try some water sports. I also really enjoyed just taking a kayak out and dicking around going to surrounding islands as it's so surreal being in the middle of nowhere with nobody around.

Are you looking to take any excursions? Since your getting all that already paid for, I would HIGHLY recommend trying to let them move your air date so you can pay money to stay another 5 or so nights. Once you get there things are VERY cheap. If you head back to Nadi, there is a lot you can do around the mainland for dirt cheap. South Sea Island was a fun excursion.

What do you guys like to do, or think you would like to do at a tropical location? Looking to do a lot, or sit around on the beach?

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Thanks for the tips Farnsy.

We'll definitely be snorkeling. & I'll look into the scuba diving. I'm planning on getting out in the water with some kayaking & paddle board.

Looks like we can have the resort take us to private beaches around the island for little lunch getaways, so planning on that. We'd like to visit a village on the island & hang out with some locals. Also hoping to take a day trip to the blue lagoon cave they talk about. Other than that I'm perfectly content with laying by the beach enjoying cocktails & relaxing.

As much as we'd love to extend the trip, that's not really going to be feasible. Between work, daughter & pets it's not really in the cards.

We are potentially going to have a half a day or so on the mainland in between our US flights & the flights to/from Yasawa. Any short little things we can do near the Nadi airport?

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
One suggestion on scuba diving though, if you've never been before. Go buy a Neoprene arm band and wear that around for a little while and try to get a little bit of a sweat going. Luckily I knew ahead of time, but I have a neoprene allergy. I've met people who weren't lucky enough to know, before spending a day in a wetsuit and found out that evening. So they spent the rest of their trip and days after, in agony.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Congrats man. Fiji is on my bucket list. :yes:

I've been to the Great Barrier Reef twice, and snorkled and scuba'd. Fiji would be a hair difference, but the pictures still look gorgeous.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I've read about this stuff a little bit, I'm excited to try it.

Can you feel the affects of it as much as people say, or are they mostly exaggerating?

I have some Kava and a Kava bowl if you wanna come try some, granted it's 10 years old. :)

It was pretty hit or miss with me, but trust me you'll get plenty of chances to try it. Everywhere you go people will want you to do it with them, it's like a house warming thing, even at a lot of the local stores.

If you go to an actually village you will probably get better kava, that's where I really felt the affects. I'm guessing the ones around shopping areas are watered down and just for show.

edit: actually, i would try to pass or not visit stores that offer you kava, as they become extremely pushy about you buying things at high prices as they shared it with you.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
I have some Kava and a Kava bowl if you wanna come try some, granted it's 10 years old. :)

It was pretty hit or miss with me, but trust me you'll get plenty of chances to try it. Everywhere you go people will want you to do it with them, it's like a house warming thing, even at a lot of the local stores.

If you go to an actually village you will probably get better kava, that's where I really felt the affects. I'm guessing the ones around shopping areas are watered down and just for show.

edit: actually, i would try to pass or not visit stores that offer you kava, as they become extremely pushy about you buying things at high prices as they shared it with you.

From what I have found on the web, the only things on the island we'll be on are this resort, & a few small villages. Should be interesting to say the least.

Seems like it's about as remote as you can safely be, which I'm definitely looking forward to.

jjisu

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines
Super jealous! You guys will have a blast.
I was there for a few weeks about 7 years ago. Nothing bad to report from that trip.

As others have said, snorkeling is a must or Suba if that's your thing. The water is simply beautiful.
Try to get in on a "tour" of a local village/island. That was pretty neat.
Kava while disgusting, I suppose you have to do it.

I dont know that you can go wrong with any of the resorts really.
We stayed here for a few days and it was great Mantaray Island
Have fun!

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
We're flying out of LAX Friday night, getting pretty excited!

Any last minute tips? What's the best place to exchange some coin, in LA or wait till we get to Fiji?

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
We're flying out of LAX Friday night, getting pretty excited!

Any last minute tips? What's the best place to exchange some coin, in LA or wait till we get to Fiji?

Just bring a few hundred in US$ then take out Fiji money with your ATM card at the airport when you arrive. Make sure you call your bank atm/credit card and tell them where and how long you're traveling so they don't shut your cards off.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Typically, you're better off getting cash overseas from ATM's. Even with the bank fees, you get the fair market exchange rate.

Local banks will exchange at a low cost or even "free" but give you a crappy rate. That's how they get theirs :twitcy:

Have fun! :yes:

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
When I saw "Fiji Tips (Honeymoon)" I figured this thread was about some kind of new product from Trojan.