Favorite tailgate grill

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
What’s everyone’s favorite grill for tailgating?

I have a Weber Q1200 that I picked up for $50 barely used. Absolutely love it. A small cylinder lasts quite a while and have the adapter for the 20lb if we have a lot of people.

• Winner
Reactions: kentkel

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

I have a Weber Q1200 that I picked up for $50 barely used. Absolutely love it. A small cylinder lasts quite a while and have the adapter for the 20lb if we have a lot of people.

Weber kettle is pretty tough to beat in that situation.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006

I will second this. I have a Weber Q1000 that I picked up YEARS ago. I not only use it for tailgates & other portable outings, it is also my "everyday" grill as well (I purchased an adapter for a large propane tank). Everything I grill turns out amazingly well & evenly cooked! I think you'd be hard-pressed to come up with a better and more durable grill.

• Winner
Reactions: TruClone

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Have one of those fold up Colemans.
We actually bring a vac sealed bag of smoked pulled pork a lot, bring along a foil pan, dump it in with a can of beer. It can simmer for hours without getting dried out.

Reactions: CoachKM and Acylum

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Have one of those fold up Colemans.
We actually bring a vac sealed bag of smoked pulled pork a lot, bring along a foil pan, dump it in with a can of beer. It can simmer for hours without getting dried out.
And in which lot do you tailgate? :)

• Agree
Reactions: interrobang

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
And in which lot do you tailgate? :)
Ha C4. Seriously it works great. That way you dont have to tend a grill.
Bring along some tortilla chips and a can of the fritos cheese and it's awesome nachos too.

Reactions: kentkel

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Coleman standup grill is awesome. One downfall with the Weber is needing a table or another surface to cook in.

zarnold56

Aug 9, 2009
I have had the Coleman roadtrip grill for like 6 years but have had issues with the regulator and other stuff. Debating whether to get the new model roadtrip 285 or something different. I already have the full griddle for my coleman so that is an accessory I wouldn't have to rebuy with a new grill.

Anyone use the Green Mountain Davy Crockett? A little more expensive but would also use as a smoker at my house. It comes with dc power, so can run it off the truck or bring a battery.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I have had the Coleman roadtrip grill for like 6 years but have had issues with the regulator and other stuff. Debating whether to get the new model roadtrip 285 or something different. I already have the full griddle for my coleman so that is an accessory I wouldn't have to rebuy with a new grill.

Anyone use the Green Mountain Davy Crockett? A little more expensive but would also use as a smoker at my house. It comes with dc power, so can run it off the truck or bring a battery.
The Davy is cool. TNT in Ankeny sells them.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Had a Coleman road trip & then the Weber Q120. The Q is miles better. Colemans are an absolute pain to keep clean.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The camp chef Big Gas Grill was probably my favorite of the tailgating grills we had over the years. Solid equipment, packable, lots of cooking surface, and plenty of accessories so you can set it up as a grill or a griddle.

The colemans were solid as far as portability, but seemed like their heat was too direct due to how shallow it was.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
We use the Coleman Roadtrip LX Propane Grill, has the stand that you set up, without the wheels. The stand is a pain in butt to take down and stow away. The grill does a decent job, we have the case to put it in, with the wheels.
Interested in one of the Weber grills, but $305 from amazon for the grill, bag and cart seems a little steep.

josh4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2012
Ames, IA
Had a Coleman roadtrip for years, never had any issues but it always ran hot. Even on the lowest setting I would burn everything in no time.
About 2 years ago I bought a green mountain grill Daniel Boone for the house and a year later bought the Davey crocket for tailgating and camping. Pellet grills for life! So versatile, can run hot for burgers and steaks. Or low if you want ribs or brisket.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190718-232625_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190718-232625_Gallery.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 38

zarnold56

Aug 9, 2009
Had a Coleman roadtrip for years, never had any issues but it always ran hot. Even on the lowest setting I would burn everything in no time.
About 2 years ago I bought a green mountain grill Daniel Boone for the house and a year later bought the Davey crocket for tailgating and camping. Pellet grills for life! So versatile, can run hot for burgers and steaks. Or low if you want ribs or brisket.

On the Davy Crockett do you ever feel space limited? Have you used a griddle on it tailgating for breakfast food?

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I have the Blackstone Tailgater grill/griddle combo. Works great use the griddle for breakfast and the grill for burgers and brats after the game.

upload_2019-7-19_9-25-4.png

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
I have a traeger tailgater that I take. We have an Bus/RV and stay the night before, so I can set it out and do my long low and slow cooks in the lot. Pork belly burnt ends. Pork shoulder. Brisket. Yummy foods. I've even used it to cook cheesy taters once when the pork shoulder was resting and it did that okay too.

I also have a two burner Blackstone griddle. Works great for the breakfast foods. Also smash burgers and philly cheese steaks.

I would like to have something for direct grilling so in may in the future sell the traeger and get a mini max Big Green Egg.

Cant go wrong with a Weber smokey Joe though. It's what I used before upgrading.

If you have money to spend get a mini max big green egg. Very versatile It can do the low slow cooks or set it up for direct grilling. It also doesnt need a power source. The price is comparable to the traeger tailgater but food is better and it is able to be set up for direct cooking. Although it does require a little more babying until you learn how to maintain temp and can trust yourself. Traegers are stupid easy to use.

There are a handful of good small ceramic cookers that are good for tailgating. Acorn makes a decent one not quite the quality of Kamado Joe or BGE but good at a fraction of the cost.

I do not like propane grills.
Hank Hill can eat ****.

josh4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2012
Ames, IA
On the Davy Crockett do you ever feel space limited? Have you used a griddle on it tailgating for breakfast food?

It is quite a bit smaller than my bigger grill. You just need to plan accordingly on what you make for tailgating or camping. I have a upper rack that helps. Earlier this summer I made 2 big pork loins and a port belly on the DC no problem. Looking at getting a rib rack so i can do at least 4 racks of ribs on the DC. We have a pretty big group come tailgate. So if we do burgers or wings I usually have to do at least 2 batches. Not a huge deal for me, just need to plan. Try and do taller meats. You can feed more people with a pork loin vs ribs. or chicken breasts vs wings.
I have a big griddle I have used on my DB, I don't have a smaller one that fits in the DC. in a pinch i have made eggs on tin foil for burgers.
If you want a big breakfast i would probably recommend a blackstone flat top.