Favorite Sandwich Shop?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I'd say 218 instead of 63 (Charles City is NE), but absolutely Cerro Gordo is not NE Iowa
I'll give you the section from Hardin County on up, straight north as a "Grey" zone but other than that, it's pretty clear.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Manhattan Deli has to be king as others said but i really like A Taste of Italy also

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
Lol. No. Tell someone from Elkader or Decorah that Mason City and Grundy Center are in NE IA and they’ll look at you like you said you were abducted by aliens.

Highway 63 and Highway 20 are the lines of demarcation. West of 63 and you might as well be in South Dakota.

I am NOT sorry for derailing this into an Iowa geography debate.
That may be, but then the people in Elkader or Decorah are silly. The western border should be the western edge of Howard County, not 63.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
Where I live, in New Jersey, it's Jersey Mikes. I haven't really ventured out to find a local deli.

Probably my all time favorite would be Jimmy Johns.
Seriously? If I lived in Jersey or New York I'd be hitting up all the local places instead of chains.

Reactions: exCYtable

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Then they’re wrong. Look at the damn map. This is clearly the north east section of Iowa. I understand your point but Look. At. The. Map.
It’s NE if you divide the state in 4. I recognize Central thirds and divide the state into 9 sections roughly.

Mason City, Grundy Center, Osage, Charles City are all north central Iowa.

To me, northeast Iowa requires being in the Driftless Area

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
The best sammitches in the universe are at my house, so I rarely go out for one, but I do like the Griddled Seasonal Veggie at The Lunchbox in Fairfield.

Griddled Seasonal Veggie Wrap
basil pesto, romaine, charred tomato, roasted cremini mushrooms, grilled asparagus, white cheddar, buttermilk dressing, griddled and served hot.

To me, sandwiches always taste better when made by someone else.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
It’s NE if you divide the state in 4. I recognize Central thirds and divide the state into 9 sections roughly.

Mason City, Grundy Center, Osage, Charles City are all north central Iowa.

To me, northeast Iowa requires being in the Driftless Area
That's fine you zoom in that far but how would people look at you who are from Des Moines and you say "How are things in Central Central Iowa?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
That may be, but then the people in Elkader or Decorah are silly. The western border should be the western edge of Howard County, not 63.
That’s a fair definition, and if using county lines, makes the most sense. But western Howard/Chickasaw/Bremer counties are more like points west than east

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
If I have to go chain, it's Jersey Mike's. Locally though, I have a local butcher who also has a deli in his shop and his sandwiches are top notch. It's really hard to compare to any chain, because of the variety of meats he carries.