Favorite Sandwich Shop?

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
People naming all these cities that like 8 people that don't live there have ever been to, let's get back to the sandwiches!

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
It’s NE if you divide the state in 4. I recognize Central thirds and divide the state into 9 sections roughly.

Mason City, Grundy Center, Osage, Charles City are all north central Iowa.

To me, northeast Iowa requires being in the Driftless Area
YEP. I was thinking the exact same thing. Except I was going 10 regions with the dead center of Iowa having a block called Central.

I'm from Anamosa and I even catch myself saying I'm from NE Iowa. I am actually wrong. Anamosa is more East Central.

Reactions: Al_4_State

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
YEP. I was thinking the exact same thing. Except I was going 10 regions with the dead center of Iowa having a block called Central.

I'm from Anamosa and I even catch myself saying I'm from NE Iowa. I am actually wrong. Anamosa is more East Central.
Anamosa is Driftless-y, but just too far south

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Lol. No. Tell someone from Elkader or Decorah that Mason City and Grundy Center are in NE IA and they’ll look at you like you said you were abducted by aliens.

Highway 63 and Highway 20 are the lines of demarcation. West of 63 and you might as well be in South Dakota.

I am NOT sorry for derailing this into an Iowa geography debate.
I think you are splitting hairs- Blackhawk County is definitely in NE Iowa and I wouldn't put up much of an argument for Grundy or Lynn County.

Really depends on how many "areas" you break the state up into. When I lived in DSM I always viewed it as Central Iowa. But a lot of folks referred to DSM as part of Southwest Iowa. Which makes sense if you divide the state into quadrants.

Just the opinion of someone in Dubuque.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
This is a pretty accurate county based division

IA_Ag_Districts_Map.pdf

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
That’s a fair definition, and if using county lines, makes the most sense. But western Howard/Chickasaw/Bremer counties are more like points west than east
True. I guess I prefer the county line rather than 63 because a point 6 or 7 miles west of 63 doesn't look much different than a point 6 or 7 miles east of 63.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
In Dubuque my favorite is Jersey Mikes. Not a lot of local sandwich places (or at least convenient for me).

When I lived in Clive, Palmer's was my go to sandwich place. Loved the Turnberry- smoked turkey with cranberry chutney cream cheese spread. Awesome. Plus they had great sweets - lemon bars, brownies and rocky road bars.

Makes my stomach growl!!!

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
I still have a soft spot for Quizno's for a chain. There's still one in CR/Marion I hit once in a while when in the area.

The Publix stores here in Florida are well known for their deli sandwiches. Good but I don't put them in the excellent sandwich category, though.

Also a local Florida chain similar to a traditional NYC Jewish deli called Too-Jays.

Lastly, I can always enjoy a Panera Bread sandwich, too.
Totally agree with you on the Quizno's! They are by far and away my favorite sandwich chain. My favorite non-chain in Ames would be West Street Deli.

As for those Publix stores... Holy ****, my mom's husband always brings those places up (to the point of obsession) and we always hear about Boar's head meat at least 2 or 3 times, every time we visit them in FL.

• Funny
Reactions: MeanDean