Expectations for 2018-2019

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
We are projected as the VERY LAST team to be "safe" right now...

For comparison, Athlon has ISU as an 8 seed. Lindy's has ISU missing the field entirely. So the analysis you posted is about halfway between those. Not sure how far out of the tournament Lindy's expects, it doesn't make predictions for NIT. But Athlon has iowa state 5th in Big 12, Lindy' 7th.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
For comparison, Athlon has ISU as an 8 seed. Lindy's has ISU missing the field entirely. So the analysis you posted is about halfway between those. Not sure how far out of the tournament Lindy's expects, it doesn't make predictions for NIT. But Athlon has iowa state 5th in Big 12, Lindy' 7th.

That is a fair range.

The difference between a #5 or #6 and out of the tournament can be frighteningly narrow. Winning or lose a few close games determines your fate either way.

This is a weird team to get a handle on, too -- in theory, we have a lot back and a lot of known quantities from other programs in Shayok and Jacobson, but the team last year could play really well and really badly and was so often far from its full capacity factor that I am not sure what lessons you can really draw from much of the season.

You would think you would know where a team returning 4/5 starters is going, but I am not even really sure myself. I can see great, and I can see disappointing.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Many times that inconsistency can be attributed to leadership. Losing Naz and Monte' at the same time really hurt in that regard. Hopefully someone is willing to step into that vocal leadership role.

• Winner
Reactions: ProhmDate

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
That is a fair range.

The difference between a #5 or #6 and out of the tournament can be frighteningly narrow. Winning or lose a few close games determines your fate either way.

This is a weird team to get a handle on, too -- in theory, we have a lot back and a lot of known quantities from other programs in Shayok and Jacobson, but the team last year could play really well and really badly and was so often far from its full capacity factor that I am not sure what lessons you can really draw from much of the season.

You would think you would know where a team returning 4/5 starters is going, but I am not even really sure myself. I can see great, and I can see disappointing.

One would be how nice it is to have enough guys to practice with.

Lots of unknowns can be exciting too. If roles are defined early it might prove to be a nice season.

I'm expecting an NCAA tourney in some form...it would disappointing to not see it happen.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I think I can speak for everyone when I say that nobody gives a damn about how tall you are OR how you think your height compares to a player you stood next to for probably 2 minutes

How about how my height compares to somebody else you don't know?
vauEUgn.gif

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Andy Katz Top 15 transfers to watch this college basketball season:

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketbal...-15-transfers-watch-college-basketball-season

7. Marial Shayok, Iowa State: Shayok sat out last season after playing three seasons at Virginia where he improved in each one. The Cyclones were the one Big 12 team that wasn’t in contention at some point last season for an NCAA tournament berth. That’s going to change this season where the Cyclones should be a tourney team. Having the experience of Shayok is a huge lift after a bridge season a year ago.

ProhmDate

Aug 29, 2015
Ames
Many times that inconsistency can be attributed to leadership. Losing Naz and Monte' at the same time really hurt in that regard. Hopefully someone is willing to step into that vocal leadership role.

Leadership, like respect, must be earned. Who do you expect to be the most logical team leaders?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Leadership, like respect, must be earned. Who do you expect to be the most logical team leaders?
I could see Babb and Young but they are both pretty quiet. Hopefully they step up and get more vocal. Other possibilities are Shayok, Jacobson and Talley. Despite being a true sophomore Wigginton could step into the role.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron