Expectations for 2018-2019

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
What are realistic expectations for next years team? I hate looking past the rest of this season, especially for a guy like Donovan, but this year is just a couple games from being over with the likelihood of no post-season play.

Hines responded to someone on twitter recently telling them to maybe back off on the expectation of being in the tournament for sure (maybe I misinterpreted what he said, but it's how I took it). Blum on the radio show this week made it sound like next years team could contend for the conference next year. I'm probably somewhere in the middle; if I had to guess today, I would pick them anywhere from 4th-7th in the conference.

The encouraging thing is that our two best players are freshman. Wigginton and Lard should only get better. All reviews seem to point to Shayok being really good. Talen Horton-Tucker should be another great freshman player.

However, there are still questions. How do we handle the PG position; will it be Lindell or Babb? Will we have a reliable 3 point threat; can Lewis be that guy? Can Zion crack the rotation?

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
If you assume three starters next year are not here or eligible this year, then it's easier to be positive. Plus any starters from this year will have year over year growth.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I think we will be on the right side of the bubble.

Our line up will be very interesting - we will be way bigger and longer than we have been in recent history.

Young, Lard, Jacobsen for bigs

Talley, Shayok for wings

Babb, Wiggy for guards

I’m not going to put any expectations on THT as a true freshmen, but he could be in the mix. I think a transfer guard would be a good priority in the off-season to add depth behind Babb and Wiggy.

Reactions: Doc

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Tough to say without knowing how the other teams in the conference stack up. My best guess is that provided that at least two of the incoming freshmen make major contributions and Shayok is as good as advertised then maybe 19-21 wins and a return to the Dance.

I'm not terribly worried about the PG spot. With NWB and LW you get two good PGs that bring entirely different skill sets to the position. At the very worst Prohm will have the luxury of having a competent PG on the floor for forty minutes a game. And he can still play them both at the same time. I'm hopeful that THT will be able to unlock some really good small ball lineups for them. Should be a fun year!

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
What are realistic expectations for next years team? I hate looking past the rest of this season, especially for a guy like Donovan, but this year is just a couple games from being over with the likelihood of no post-season play.

Hines responded to someone on twitter recently telling them to maybe back off on the expectation of being in the tournament for sure (maybe I misinterpreted what he said, but it's how I took it). Blum on the radio show this week made it sound like next years team could contend for the conference next year. I'm probably somewhere in the middle; if I had to guess today, I would pick them anywhere from 4th-7th in the conference.

The encouraging thing is that our two best players are freshman. Wigginton and Lard should only get better. All reviews seem to point to Shayok being really good. Talen Horton-Tucker should be another great freshman player.

However, there are still questions. How do we handle the PG position; will it be Lindell or Babb? Will we have a reliable 3 point threat; can Lewis be that guy? Can Zion crack the rotation?
Fifth place in the b12.
6-11 seed in big dance.
Good team. 8 very solid top rotation players.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I think we will be on the right side of the bubble.

Our line up will be very interesting - we will be way bigger and longer than we have been in recent history.

Young, Lard, Jacobsen for bigs

Talley, Shayok for wings

Babb, Wiggy for guards

I’m not going to put any expectations on THT as a true freshmen, but he could be in the mix. I think a transfer guard would be a good priority in the off-season to add depth behind Babb and Wiggy.

I agree, they need to find one more guard to play, but Long might be the guy. This year was so frustrating with all the games lost at the end because most of the guys never got off the floor. Just having Babb and Young health, and one other glue guy would have lead to the NIT this year. THT by all accounts is a stud, and will probably contribute by the time conference season starts.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
I hate giving up on the rest of this year too. I think the fanbase did a remarkable job keeping expectations and frustrations in check throughout the year. This team gave us some fun wins, but night in and night out just didn't have the bodies or experience to get the tough wins too often. Overall, I was happy to see the growth in a lot of our guys from where they were at the start of the season. Our schollies balance out nicely going forward and outside of wildly missing on all of our recruits, Prohm definitely has things trending in the right direction.

It's tough to gauge where next year's team will be with so key parts weren't part of this year's team. I'll be quite pleased if they're in the Big12 title discussion most of the year and finish in the top half and get a top half of the bracket seed in the dance.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
I think we go to the tournament but I'm going to try to keep my hopes in check. I thought we would sweet 16 caliber or better. I think that might be too much to ask. And that has nothing to do with the last couple weeks, just tempering my expectations in hopes I'm pleasantly surprised.

othercy

Mar 31, 2012
Northern CA
It was a major rebuild year after losing a stellar graduating class and having some gaps in the lineup due to recruiting misses (insert your chosen coaching scapegoats here) and yet we were competitive in most games ... and even beat several ranked opponents and bagged a tournament early on. Next year we will have experienced talent, depth, and even more talent infusions. We will win about 20 +/- and finish in the top 5 in the conference. We will be fun to watch and get back to the tournament. The year after next we will be in the top 3 in the conference with a chance to do much more. Regarding this year ... I continue to truly enjoy watching this team and love the heart and effort they gave against TOP NOTCH competition night after night. These guys are a great group of warriors.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I think we go to the tournament but I'm going to try to keep my hopes in check. I thought we would sweet 16 caliber or better. I think that might be too much to ask. And that has nothing to do with the last couple weeks, just tempering my expectations in hopes I'm pleasantly surprised.

How deep they go is a crapshoot. All about match ups and how you play in any single game. I think we’ll have Sweet Sixteen potential at any rate.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Top 2-4 in the conference. 3-6 seed in the tournament.

Listen, Kansas will be a top ten caliber of team yet again. Until KU gets knocked off you have to assume they win the conference. After that, who hands down has more talent than Iowa State next year? No reason why we can't challenge for top 3 in the conference.

West Virginia loses Carter and Miles
OU will lose Young and Lattin
Texas loses Bamba
TTech loses Evans, Gray and Smith
TCU loses Brodz and Williams

Shayok from all reports has a chance to be our best all around player next year. Horton-Tucker is a big time recruit. I don't think he will put up similar numbers as Wigginton this year simply because he won't need to.

As of right now you can pencil in a rotation of Babb, Wigginton, Shayok, Lard, Young, THT, Talley, Jacobsen.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Also to the op Hines was mentioning to someone on Twitter to temper expectations because there are fans that legitimately think we are winning the Big 12 next year. I honestly have no idea why. Look I think we are going to be much better, but I’d still say going 9-9 in conference is much much more likely than say 14-4 or better.

Bewilderme

Apr 11, 2006
Minneapolis
For me I saw what I needed to see this year to have some optimism. All in all, we played with everybody in the conference, until we ran out of gas. Switch out Jackson for Shayok, Brase for Jacobsen, and Beverly for Horton-Tucker, and then add Griffin if he's ready, and maybe a solid grad transfer/sniper type. If I had to guess, it'd be 22-25 wins.