• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

UNI1ISU2

Jun 7, 2019
The issue no one has talked about yet is this is a streaming channel. It’s not something you can pick up on a cable subscription. You have to have Roku or fire stick or stream it straight on your computer or phone. How are bars going to do this? They going to get a roku on each tv in the bar? Pay subscription for every tv? Espn+ only allows streaming on a certain amount of devices at a time

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
The issue no one has talked about yet is this is a streaming channel. It’s not something you can pick up on a cable subscription. You have to have Roku or fire stick or stream it straight on your computer or phone. How are bars going to do this? They going to get a roku on each tv in the bar? Pay subscription for every tv? Espn+ only allows streaming on a certain amount of devices at a time

You don't need to have a streaming device on each TV. You can use a Network AV system to distribute any content to any device regardless of source.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
If I get ESPN plus do I get access to all ESPN channels or is that it's own channel. I am reorganizing my Direct TV and when I dropped down a package they took away some of my ESPN's. I still get the original. They just took away a few others.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
If I get ESPN plus do I get access to all ESPN channels or is that it's own channel. I am reorganizing my Direct TV and when I dropped down a package they took away some of my ESPN's. I still get the original. They just took away a few others.

No.

Unfortunately, ESPN Plus will not contain access to SportsCenter or to live ESPN channels, as Iger says Disney will not make ESPN Plus available unless you’re a “traditional or non-traditional” subscriber of standard ESPN.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/6/1...s-streaming-service-launch-price-release-date

UNI1ISU2

Jun 7, 2019
So its not a stand alone channel. You have to have access to espn through a cable subscription or hulu or whatever. You can not just have espn+ with out that correct?

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
So its not a stand alone channel. You have to have access to espn through a cable subscription or hulu or whatever. You can not just have espn+ with out that correct?

Correct. SlingTV orange is the cheapest way to get the ESPN channels. It's current $15/month and normally $25/month. So in season it'll be $30 if you want slingtv and espn+.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Keep in mind that for Football ESPN + won't get many games after the Tier 1 and 2 games are picked up. During b-ball season it will be basically what we see now except the OOC games will be on ESPN+ instead of Cyclones TV.

Once this rolls out Cyclones TV will be done. There is no way Mediacom is going to put any money into this service moving forward.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum and cycloneG

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Correct. You can only get ESPN+ if you already have ESPN with some other subscription.

You can get ESPN+ stand alone.... I have it right now. I won't have cable again until football season starts back up. But I can watch content on ESPN+.

Keep in mind, it is just a streaming service. So you need to have access to the app on your TV (you can download it on your smart TV, or phone, or with a Fire stick, etc.). Also, very minimal content on ESPN+ and it does not give you access to any other ESPN channels. So, unless your a UFC or Soccer fan, probably not a lot of content you will be very interested in (until B12 Now starts their content).

B12 Games on ESPN+ this year:

Week 1 (8/31):

Nicholls @ K-State
Stephen F. Austin @ Baylor
Week 2 (9/7):
Coastal Carolina @ Kansas
McNeese @ OSU

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
FYI.... ISU vs. UNI Women's Soccer is on ESPN+ tonight... wasn't expecting to see ISU sports on here until next year.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Keep in mind that for Football ESPN + won't get many games after the Tier 1 and 2 games are picked up. During b-ball season it will be basically what we see now except the OOC games will be on ESPN+ instead of Cyclones TV.

Once this rolls out Cyclones TV will be done. There is no way Mediacom is going to put any money into this service moving forward.
Cyclones TV was around before Mediacom was ever involved. It may not be available on the cable channel but I could very well see the online service continue. There are a lot of fans out there who want to see other ISU sports that are never going to be carried on ESPN+. The AD will still try to make them available and monetize it.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Cyclones TV was around before Mediacom was ever involved. It may not be available on the cable channel but I could very well see the online service continue. There are a lot of fans out there who want to see other ISU sports that are never going to be carried on ESPN+. The AD will still try to make them available and monetize it.

ESPN/Big 12 press release:
"Additionally, Big 12 Now on ESPN+ will feature hundreds of events from other sports at the participating programs, including women’s basketball, volleyball, soccer, wrestling, softball, baseball and more."

Iowa State press release:
"Mediacom has been a tremendous partner for our institution and they have been instrumental in helping Iowa State Athletics grow its brand," Pollard said. "We do recognize that live game telecasts for all sports, previously aired on Cyclones.tv and Mediacom, will move to the ESPN+ platform. However, we'll continue to show other programming including media conferences, coaches' shows, special features and replays of all live home game content."

• Informative
Reactions: VeloClone

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Anyone know if you can look at game replays on demand with ESPN+?

Yes you can. Go towards the bottom and select the conference of the HOME team and it brings up a list of archived games. Usually pop up about 45 minutes after the game concludes.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
ESPN/Big 12 press release:
"Additionally, Big 12 Now on ESPN+ will feature hundreds of events from other sports at the participating programs, including women’s basketball, volleyball, soccer, wrestling, softball, baseball and more."

Iowa State press release:
"Mediacom has been a tremendous partner for our institution and they have been instrumental in helping Iowa State Athletics grow its brand," Pollard said. "We do recognize that live game telecasts for all sports, previously aired on Cyclones.tv and Mediacom, will move to the ESPN+ platform. However, we'll continue to show other programming including media conferences, coaches' shows, special features and replays of all live home game content."
With 10 conference teams and a myriad of sports both men and women I am doubtful that every game will be broadcast for every team in every sport. While they may not be available live, unbroadcasted games (on ESPN+) will likely be available on Cy TV on a delayed basis.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Appears the Football game on ESPN+/Big 12 Now had issues. Can only imagine this board if something happens during the ISU-KU MBB game.

UNI1ISU2

Jun 7, 2019
Appears the Football game on ESPN+/Big 12 Now had issues. Can only imagine this board if something happens during the ISU-KU MBB game.

This does not surprise me one bit. I had to watch UNI basketball on ESPN+ all last year and just about every game had issues just like this. I had mentioned this in another thread and was quickly shot down and told things will be different. Not so much