ESPN+ ISU BB Game Schedule

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Obviously we have different preferences with how we watch tv. This sounds like a giant PITA to me.

Streaming or no streaming besides, having basketball games less accessible than they have been the last 5 or so years when all conference games were on an ESPN channel is a bad thing for ISU basketball.

I pay less for YTTV and ESPN+ combined than I used to pay for DirecTV, or would have for traditional cable. I don't consider that less accessible.

• Winner
Reactions: awd4cy and 1UNI2ISU

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Obviously we have different preferences with how we watch tv. This sounds like a giant PITA to me.

Streaming or no streaming besides, having basketball games less accessible than they have been the last 5 or so years when all conference games were on an ESPN channel is a bad thing for ISU basketball.

It's fairly simple and painless. I like being able to choose exactly what I want to watch and when I want to watch it. It's also nice that I'm saving a ton of money along the way. It's really a win/win.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA

I do not disagree with what you are saying but it is a reality of the media delivery of the future. With the cord cutting it will make it the vehicle for a la carte programming. I would LOVE it it I could subscribe to the content I want and have it all delivered through my satellite receiver and opt out of the other 400 channels that I never watch.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
There are going to be some growing pains as we transition from traditional cable to streaming. I think there's an opportunity for someone to create an app that aggregates all your streaming services for easier navigation.

ESPN+ is a thing because there is a demand for their content. Disney+ is a thing because there is a demand for their content. Netflix, Hulu, and so on and so forth. This isn't going away anytime soon.

So, bundling like cable. I'm sure we'll win in that scenario.

• Agree
Reactions: LincolnSwinger

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It's fairly simple and painless. I like being able to choose exactly what I want to watch and when I want to watch it. It's also nice that I'm saving a ton of money along the way. It's really a win/win.
Will viewers be able to start watching from the start when the game is already underway but before it is over? I generally record the start of games and then catch up as I start watching. Many platforms seem to only allow a late start if the game is over.

• Agree
Reactions: ManBearClone

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Will viewers be able to start watching from the start when the game is already underway but before it is over? I generally record the start of games and then catch up as I start watching. Many platforms seem to only allow a late start if the game is over.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/movies/what-is-espn-plus/

"On the bright side, if you happen to miss the first part of a game, you can watch live content from the beginning, even if you start watching late."

Reactions: VeloClone

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I think the point he is making is you have to go into an app on a streaming device or computer instead of just turning on the tv and being able to type in a channel or flip through the channels easily

A majority of TV's now are smart TV's. All you need to do is download the app on your TV and then subscribe. Once you get the initial setup done its really no different than changing the channel on your remote to watch the game.

UNI1ISU2

Jun 7, 2019
I use the ESPN app when I'm watching sports. I use the Netflix app when I'm watching Netflix. I use the HBO app when I'm watching HBO. I use the Hulu app when I'm watching Hulu. I don't channel surfer because I'm watching what I want to watch when I want to watch it. On my time.
Kind of hard to watch live sports on your time isn't it?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Kind of hard to watch live sports on your time isn't it?
I often have to start watching Cyclone games a bit (and occasionally a lot) delayed. If I can get my evening responsibilities taken care of and start watching a 7:00 game at 7:30 I can usually be caught up before the game is over.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
'I've never tried it but my pre-conceived and unfounded notions tell me its bad because I don't like change'

We need so much less of this in all aspects of life.

"I have no idea who you are and what you have tried, but I am going to ahead and assume you have never tried it and you don't like change"

"Then make some broad sweeping comment about how you don't like streaming and that means you don't like change and that means you are what's wrong with life"

I tried SlingTV a while back. At first I liked it because of the cost savings, but over time I grew to hate it because the stream was inconsistent at best, I hated the interface, I hated jumping back and forth between apps to watch things, it was hard (at the time anyway) to get set up to watch on multiple channels, local channels were still through my antenna, so I had to jump in and out of the apps to watch those, etc.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I won’t be getting espn+ out of principal. Hopefully you all join with me and we can get these games back on tv stations where they belong.

Are you talking about over-the-air old school stations or cable stations I still have to pay for?

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
"I have no idea who you are and what you have tried, but I am going to ahead and assume you have never tried it and you don't like change"

"Then make some broad sweeping comment about how you don't like streaming and that means you don't like change and that means you are what's wrong with life"

I tried SlingTV a while back. At first I liked it because of the cost savings, but over time I grew to hate it because the stream was inconsistent at best, I hated the interface, I hated jumping back and forth between apps to watch things, it was hard (at the time anyway) to get set up to watch on multiple channels, local channels were still through my antenna, so I had to jump in and out of the apps to watch those, etc.

I completely understand the frustrations of getting used to streaming. Interfaces have gotten better. More and more local channels are now available through streaming services. But honestly, streaming is what more and more people want. More people are streaming than using cable/satellite. More and more content is being made available through streaming only. Look at the shows winning Golden Globes and Emmys, a large majority of those shows are only available through streaming services. This is the world we live in. I'd suggest trying all of the services to see what works best for you. They all have free trials.

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
https://www.digitaltrends.com/movies/what-is-espn-plus/

"On the bright side, if you happen to miss the first part of a game, you can watch live content from the beginning, even if you start watching late."

That is good news. In an earlier thread people who used it last year said you couldn't watch from the beginning until 30 minutes after the game ended so I guess they have changed that. One remaining question is if you can fast forward through commercials when doing it or not.

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
Well, ESPN+ streaming a game right now in the living room, so I guess I'll survive the change from cytv (mediacom).