ESPN+ ISU BB Game Schedule

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Depends on what network is broadcasting the other game. If it's on an ESPN network, you can stay in the ESPN app and just select that game.

but if it’s on fox sports you can’t do that? Also is there load time when you select the other game within the app or will it be instant like on tv?

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
but if it’s on fox sports you can’t do that? Also is there load time when you select the other game within the app or will it be instant like on tv?

Correct. You can't watch a game televised by a Fox network in the ESPN app.

How fast the feed starts is related to your Internet connection. It usually starts within a couple seconds.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
People seek out the games they want to watch. The casual viewer happening upon a game is a myth.

Streaming is the future as cable companies figure out that the current sports model is broken.

Also, ESPN+ could not possibly be more user friendly.

I casually channel surf for games whenever ISU is playing. I would typically watch a top 25 matchup regardless of who is playing if I stumbled across it. I wouldn't stumble across anything on ESPN+.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I casually channel surf for games whenever ISU is playing. I would typically watch a top 25 matchup regardless of who is playing if I stumbled across it. I wouldn't stumble across anything on ESPN+.

Why? It has a lot of content already and is only growing.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Because when it's on an island in an app it's not front of mind and is forgotten.

On an island? I'm not sure I understand. When I open the ESPN app, it shows me everything on right now and everything that is upcoming.

The ESPN app has all of your ESPN content in one location. I don't have to search for anything because it's right there.

• Agree
Reactions: Psyclone

UNI1ISU2

Jun 7, 2019
On an island? I'm not sure I understand. When I open the ESPN app, it shows me everything on right now and everything that is upcoming.

The ESPN app has all of your ESPN content in one location. I don't have to search for anything because it's right there.
I think the point he is making is you have to go into an app on a streaming device or computer instead of just turning on the tv and being able to type in a channel or flip through the channels easily

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009

You don't watch anything else besides the espn app? Getting in and out of apps seems like a PITA.

• Agree
Reactions: quasistellar

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I think the point he is making is you have to go into an app on a streaming device or computer instead of just turning on the tv and being able to type in a channel or flip through the channels easily

Bingo. Every time there is a step between you and the final product, you are less likely to actually make it to the final product.

• Agree
Reactions: UNI1ISU2

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
You don't watch anything else besides the espn app? Getting in and out of apps seems like a PITA.

I use the ESPN app when I'm watching sports. I use the Netflix app when I'm watching Netflix. I use the HBO app when I'm watching HBO. I use the Hulu app when I'm watching Hulu. I don't channel surfer because I'm watching what I want to watch when I want to watch it. On my time.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
There are going to be some growing pains as we transition from traditional cable to streaming. I think there's an opportunity for someone to create an app that aggregates all your streaming services for easier navigation.

ESPN+ is a thing because there is a demand for their content. Disney+ is a thing because there is a demand for their content. Netflix, Hulu, and so on and so forth. This isn't going away anytime soon.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I use the ESPN app when I'm watching sports. I use the Netflix app when I'm watching Netflix. I use the HBO app when I'm watching HBO. I use the Hulu app when I'm watching Hulu. I don't channel surfer because I'm watching what I want to watch when I want to watch it. On my time.

Obviously we have different preferences with how we watch tv. This sounds like a giant PITA to me.

Streaming or no streaming besides, having basketball games less accessible than they have been the last 5 or so years when all conference games were on an ESPN channel is a bad thing for ISU basketball.