ESPN Gameday and laughing

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
It was this morning, but they are in Columbus for their game with Penn State. I get it's not for everyone, but damn, if you do not like it, just don't watch, it's an easy concept to understand.

This is just like those people that have to jump on Facebook and tell everyone what they are having for dinner every night. Why is it that people today think the rest of us give a crap about what they like and dislike and start a new thread about it?

Its a message board, people share their opinions on things. The same could be said about your participation in this thread.

Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I just dvr it so later on I can skim through what I want to see. Usually about only 20 minutes of worthy material.

clone37

Oct 9, 2010
Possibly the most annoying thing (among many) about ESPN's College Gameday is all the laughing. Have you ever just sat there and listened to how much they laugh.... and at stuff that isn't funny whatsoever. Especially Desmond Howard, my word.

They HAVE to be told to do that by the producers, etc, right? They talk about nothing that is even remotely funny, and all start laughing like crazy.

McAfee will make his score prediction on a game.... say 21-10... and Howard will just burst out laughing for no reason. He's either told to do that or he's on some serious 'happy' drugs.

I know, I know... if I don't like it, don't watch... but I do find some of the stories interesting. But I do watch a LOT less now than ever before.
Good observation! I stopped watching a long time ago because I couldn't stand all of the overly dramatic story segments they would put together each week. A guy came back from a broken leg and they put piano music and an intricate story together like the guy literally had his life hanging by a thread and made the comeback of the century. Wash rinse repeat.

Reactions: 67CY

CydeofFries

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 10, 2017
All of these shows are trying to capture the magic that is the NBA on TNT crew, which is a group of people that are genuinely entertained by each other. The hope is that by everyone laughing it seems like they enjoy each other's company and so will you.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
All of these shows are trying to capture the magic that is the NBA on TNT crew, which is a group of people that are genuinely entertained by each other. The hope is that by everyone laughing it seems like they enjoy each other's company and so will you.

Zero and I mean ZERO chance I'm enjoying time with Herbstreit, McAfee, and Rece no matter how much they fake laugh

Reactions: mark82 and cytor

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
The fox one is ok but they got a former player who is trying to be their version of Pat Mcafee and he just annoying. Can’t remember his name. I like the ESPN gameday but I really hate espn.
Thank you! Sorry but saying you like the Fox show because what they do on College Gameday is unbearable is hilarious. Just say it’s because you hate ESPN (which is the cool thing to do these days). But don’t give me this whole Fox Big Noon is far superior in what they do. It’s virtually a carbon copy of each other with different people but each one sort of mirroring.

Mark Ingram tries waaaayyy too hard to be like Pat Mac, Brady Quinn is even more elitist than Herbie and listening to Urban Meyer is nauseating. Only thing you don’t have is Lee Corso, who we all know should have been done with the show years ago.

I’ve watched both shows back and forth every Saturday this year to truly compare and they are both about the same in what they do. Gameday is a little more over the top at times, but Big Noon (only a few years old now remember) is already starting to ramp up the sensationalism and Big Ten/SEC love fest.

Reactions: Drew0311

Mar 21, 2021
If I was handed a ton of cash to yap about sports for a few hours I'd be giddy myself.

• Haha
Reactions: jctisu

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Nothing is worse than a comedian who is in town being interviewed by local radio. Even the comedian has to be like not everything I'm saying is as funny as you guys are making it.

Yeah, game day is now basically good morning america or that 102.5 show in the morning.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I’ll admit it. I watch the ESPN Gameday. I don’t know why but I couldn’t get into the Fox one and have tried multiple times. I never sit and watch the full the thing but have in on the garage while I’m getting stuff done on a Saturday AM. They are all boners on espn but the Fox one just doesn’t feel like Saturday AM.
I’m the same way. I don’t sit down and watch Gameday, but on the rare college football Saturday that I’m not farming, I put Gameday on in the background while I putz around

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Is it just me or are these ‘let’s have some randoms kick field goals while the hosts gamble for local charity based on the kicking results’ segments really insensitive.

They just had a quarter million donation to a local food bank, riding on a kick. That’s a huge chunk of money for that food bank. Transformational money.

The whole thing just reeks of some rich kid paying a poor kid to do something stupid.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Is it just me or are these ‘let’s have some randoms kick field goals while the hosts gamble for local charity based on the kicking results’ segments really insensitive.

They just had a quarter million donation to a local food bank, riding on a kick. That’s a huge chunk of money for that food bank. Transformational money.

The whole thing just reeks of some rich kid paying a poor kid to do something stupid.

Mcafee will still donate some money. Dude is very charitable. When he got paid bit for his podcast he donated millions of the money to small charities.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Mcafee will still donate some money. Dude is very charitable. When he got paid bit for his podcast he donated millions of the money to small charities.
Ya. I’m sure it’s not an all or nothing scenario. It’s just weird.

Not to mention how it further pushes gambling. I’m so tired of having sports gambling pushed on me like it isn’t the vice it is.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I mentioned this a few weeks ago but the amount of screaming at us they do is crazy. Between Desmond Howard and Pat McAfee, they must get paid per decibel. I usually watch the last 15 mins for the picks and that’s all I can handle.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Ya. I’m sure it’s not an all or nothing scenario. It’s just weird.

Not to mention how it further pushes gambling. I’m so tired of having sports gambling pushed on me like it isn’t the vice it is.

Now that ESPN has their own gambling service, it’s only going to get worse. The results of the games won’t matter as much as whether the beat the spread or not.

• Agree
Reactions: FerShizzle

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
None of this stuff annoys me. You know why? I don't watch. It's the answer to all of your complaints.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Now that ESPN has their own gambling service, it’s only going to get worse. The results of the games won’t matter as much as whether the beat the spread or not.
This. Fwiw, I do gamble on sports but I miss the days where actual game analysis went on throughout the week and before games. Now any discussion about the games is who is going to cover, O/U, payer props on every show/podcast/radio station.

Also, stop calling every segment “locks”. All these media guys are embarrassingly bad at it but every week will have their locks of the week.