Done with Wally

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I don't think Wally is at Iowa State to recruit. He is here to coach. I will agree that the coaching of this defense the last couple weeks is bad.

The recruiting of LB's at ISU needs to get much better. I think we have recruited ok at DL, problem is we haven't kept them. Pompey, Bevins, Coe, Irving. That's killer.

I think Wally needs to retire, and the DC needs to be someone new, not his son. Nothing against him, but the DL play has not been great either. Injuries are certainly a big factor in what happened today. Without Jensen, Cousins, Garcia, Miller or Tribune playing Bobby had to be licking his chops. No excuse for the sub whiffing multiple times on tackles though.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Agree with that. Mangino sliding through this discussion fairly unscathed.

OU had two weeks to figure out how to stop ISU, and I am sure it didn't take the whole time. I don't think you can put a lot of blame on Mangino for this one. Sam was really bad today, as where all of the receivers. In the post game they were talking about 22 passes that were either dropped or Sam missed an open guy. Play like that would not beat even KU. I threw my remote across the room on the drop on the fake punt.

Still, the defense was laughable for the whole game. Do not know the answer, but something has to chance there.

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN
That's not the lazy way to approach recruiting. First, those are the players that are available to ISU, second, it's the same approach K-State takes to recruiting. The difference is CPR and Co are really bad at it.

Bullcrap. We just need to hit GA, FL and TX better. Are you here to tell me that WV (whose in state football demographics are worse than Iowa's) can recruit out of FL but we cannot? Not buying your argument. We are way underperforming in Recruiting on Defense, all there is to it. And K State has numerous Juco schools to recruit from, probably more than any other state, especially per capita.

Last edited:

FanatiClone

Sep 26, 2012
wherever i go, there i am
OU had two weeks to figure out how to stop ISU, and I am sure it didn't take the whole time. I don't think you can put a lot of blame on Mangino for this one. Sam was really bad today, as where all of the receivers. In the post game they were talking about 22 passes that were either dropped or Sam missed an open guy. Play like that would not beat even KU. I threw my remote across the room on the drop on the fake punt.

Still, the defense was laughable for the whole game. Do not know the answer, but something has to chance there.

I agree with you in part. While Mangino can't throw and catch the ball for these guys, It is MM who is responsible for putting the same guys who drop the ball over and over, on the field of play. Also, half the drops, if were catches, would have been for no gain, and even a loss of yardage. I just don't think he's using his personnel to it's potential. He is so damn conservative in his play calling.

Last edited:

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Bullcrap. We just need to hit GA, FL and TX better. Are you here to tell me that WV (whose in state football demographics are worse than Iowa's) can recruit out of FL but we cannot? Not buying your argument. We are way underperforming in Recruiting on Defense, all there is to it. And K State has numerous Juco schools to recruit from, probably more than any other state, especially per capita.

Of course WVU recruits better than ISU. What are you on to think ISU should outrecruit West Virginia? Based on what?

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN
Of course WVU recruits better than ISU. What are you on to think ISU should outrecruit West Virginia? Based on what?

Based on Dana Holgerson being an offensive guru and us supposedly having 2 defensive gurus on staff and a supposed "Network" in FL. I'm not seeing it. Their D is holding TCU to 14 points in the 3rd. WV has always had great athletes on offense. Defense, not so much. And their Defense is light years ahead of ours right now. Not like WV has been setting the world on fire in the Big 12 prior to this year.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Defense was bad today, but I think that had more to do with recruiting struggles than anything Wally schemed up.

FanatiClone

Sep 26, 2012
wherever i go, there i am
Answer: as many as he wants because apparently everything is not his fault, just back luck, bad timing, bad situation etc. The guy makes $2 million a year and isn't getting it done. Any place else he would have been gone after last year. He started trending down in the middle of 2012 and has been on a bad trajectory ever since. The fact that there is a consensus that he should get another year is mind boggling. Keeping him around is going to be much more expensive in the long run than letting him go. The program isn't completely burnt to the ground... yet. Somebody could come in next year and get the turnaround started. The year after that? It's going to just be that much harder.

There isnt a consensus that he SHOULD get another year...it's more that he most likely IS gonna get another year.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Based on Dana Holgerson being an offensive guru and us supposedly having 2 defensive gurus on staff and a supposed "Network" in FL. I'm not seeing it. Their D is holding TCU to 14 points in the 3rd. WV has always had great athletes on offense. Defense, not so much. And their Defense is light years ahead of ours right now. Not like WV has been setting the world on fire in the Big 12 prior to this year.
So based on the last 2 years? You realized they played in BCS games and have several big east titles right? I understand your point but WVU is a bad example. Minnesota or Northwestern would be better comparisons.
Speaking of WVU, did they make any big changes in the off season that helped lead to suck a great season? I am curious.

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN
So based on the last 2 years? You realized they played in BCS games and have several big east titles right? I understand your point but WVU is a bad example. Minnesota or Northwestern would be better comparisons.
Speaking of WVU, did they make any big changes in the off season that helped lead to suck a great season? I am curious.

I understand their history very well, and the demographics similar to ours, and now they play in a real conference and not the sucky Big East (seeBig10) which led to their past success. As I said, those past BCS teams were built on FL Offensive speed, getting out ahead of their opponents and hanging on. They were never dominant in Defense but their defensive improvement is growing at a much faster rate than ours, and that is due to a Talent/ Recruiting. Players don't go to WV because it is known as a defensive school, and yet the are kicking our tail in the recruiting trail. I didn't compare to MN because they are not our in conference competition. WV is. So when are we going to hunt down a top 10 recruiter like coach Bradley?

Last edited:

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I understand their history very well, and the demographics similar to ours, and now they play in a real conference and not the sucky Big East (seeBig10) which led to their past success. As I said, those past BCS teams were built on FL Offensive speed, getting out ahead of their opponents and hanging on. They were never dominant in Defense but their defensive improvement is growing at a much faster rate than ours, and that is due to a Talent/ Recruiting. Players don't go to WV because it is known as a defensive school, and yet the are kicking our tail in the recruiting trail. I didn't compare to MN because they are not our in conference competition. WV is.

I don't have a definative answer as to why but regarding g ISU, I have to think there is a reason why we can't real in the big talent. It's never really been done under any staff so what makes you think it's just a coach away? It might be deeper then that.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Agree with that. Mangino sliding through this discussion fairly unscathed.

Not saying our offensive coaching was all world, but MM needs a QB that can throw accurately for 10 yards, and receivers who can run routes, block, and don't drop more balls than they catch.