Does Creighton's McDermott Keep His Job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
look, you threw a fit when people made fun of knownothing.

That was not a fit. I just told people that joke was old. Did I run to Chris to get anyone banned? Did I start a thread condemning someone for using that joke for the 500th time? No I changed my name because I was sick of the same joke that was beating a dead horse.

• Dumb
Reactions: Cat Stevens

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
That was not a fit. I just told people that joke was old. Did I run to Chris to get anyone banned? Did I start a thread condemning someone for using that joke for the 500th time? No I changed my name because I was sick of the same joke that was beating a dead horse.

but you shouldn’t have been bothered by it!

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
He'll get canned if he has said/done other things to upset players in the past and they come forward with more information. If they (current/former players) don't say anything soon, he'll keep his job.

Very poor choice of words to use and he's got to be smarter than that being a major figure-head at Creighton. He really said a horrible/dumb thing to his team.

Good on him apologizing right away, acknowledging it was a really stupid thing for him to say. Didn't sugar coat anything either, he owned up to it.

It took 3 pages of comments before someone nailed the answer on the head.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
He did wait until yesterday to make any sort of public apology. That seems to be a bit forced if he realized immediately that he had made a mistake. I would have figured he would have immediately apologized by Sunday as opposed to putting something out at about the same time as his assistant coach made a statement for another media source.
We don't know when he apologized to those who heard the comment. Heck, it might have been very soon after finding out that someone on the team found it offensive. It is a little silly that an apology doesn't count until a public one is made.

Reactions: Clonefan32

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I agree to a point. But I don’t see many people calling for him to be fired. For every person on Twitter saying he should be fired, I’d bet there are 5 saying it’s no big deal and we shouldn’t even be talking about it.

if McDermott offered to resign, it’s obvious he thought it was a big deal.

I guess I think that it isn’t enough for someone to lose their job but it also isn’t right to ignore. I think it’s fair to have the conversations and if white people are bothered by it then maybe we should examine why.

I think people are upset by the concept that 20+ years in coaching with no apparent issues and one regrettable statement, which would appear to not have had a racist intent, can get someone unfairly labeled. I can understand that being troubling.

I just can't figure out why something like that even gets to the press. He said this, he apologized and it appears those who are in a position to be truly hurt by it accepted the apology. That's really how it should work.

Reactions: Drew0311

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I think people are upset by the concept that 20+ years in coaching with no apparent issues and one regrettable statement, which would appear to not have had a racist intent, can get someone unfairly labeled. I can understand that being troubling.

I just can't figure out why something like that even gets to the press. He said this, he apologized and it appears those who are in a position to be truly hurt by it accepted the apology. That's really how it should work.

well someone that was close to it was hurt by it and that’s why it got there.

• Haha
Reactions: 0u812

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
We don't know when he apologized to those who heard the comment. Heck, it might have been very soon after finding out that someone on the team found it offensive. It is a little silly that an apology doesn't count until a public one is made.

It's also silly to think he should have made a public apology on a matter that wasn't yet public, and possibly could have stayed internal. I'd imagine he apologized to those who he felt he wronged long before this public apology. Then it became public and he felt the need to address it.

Reactions: VeloClone

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
well someone that was close to it was hurt by it and that’s why it got there.

I'd be curious to know if he addressed it directly with Greg before making it public.

I guess I'm still curious why the need to put it out to the press. Maybe it does indicate Greg wasn't forthcoming with an apology initially. Who knows...?

• Agree
Reactions: clone4life82

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
People would be shocked if they knew the origins of alot of common phrases people use in this country.

That being said, McDermott will keep his job just like Gary Dolphin.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
It's also silly to think he should have made a public apology on a matter that wasn't yet public, and possibly could have stayed internal. I'd imagine he apologized to those who he felt he wronged long before this public apology. Then it became public and he felt the need to address it.
I get trying to head it off early, might make it hurt less on the back end, but yes, bringing it to light publicly the way he did isn't the best look. If keeping it internal was an option.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
It sucks that this can't lead to conversations where people try to understand how this could be interpreted as offensive by p.o.c. as well as how a white person can make this mistake without intentionally trying to demean anyone. If we aren't allowed to have these difficult conversations, things will never change. Nothing good comes from absolute views, it only further divides us.

Greg clearly made a mistake, I don't think it's fair to use that to label him in any way. The most important aspect of this is that he learned from it and is going to try to be better. In the end, that's all he can really do. Hopefully, other people can learn from his mistakes.

To me it’s similar to the situation with Gary Dolphin and Bruno Fernando. Dolph clearly didn’t have any malicious intent, but he/we also needed to understand why black men would interpret that differently. He apologized, and pledged to learn from it and do better. And everyone’s moved on. I don’t see why this situation can’t be resolved the same thing way.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
People would be shocked if they knew the origins of alot of common phrases people use in this country.

That being said, McDermott will keep his job just like Gary Dolphin.

Oh god I forgot about that ridiculous Dolph controversy.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'd be curious to know if he addressed it directly with Greg before making it public.

I guess I'm still curious why the need to put it out to the press. Maybe it does indicate Greg wasn't forthcoming with an apology initially. Who knows...?
Or maybe he was looking for an opportunity to grandstand. We don't know, just like we don't know if Greg initially apologized. The team is good with it why can't we be?

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
lol ok. lets all put how many "black dudes" we know as the main criteria for having an opinion in the world.....makes complete sense!

Opinions without contextual understanding are like nipples on the boar, pretty worthless

• Informative

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
I didn't throw a fit. I changed my name and notified everyone of my previous name. Is that a fit? This Creighton assistant was so offended in life that he had to tell the AD and school president? Really? That is how offended he is? Get over it. Geesh. Quit trying to play woke white guy either. It's dumb. Some things in life are racist and stuff like this is watering down real racism so that people can grandstand and be a victim.

So are you suggesting that the assistant coach who is going to be asked about the occurrence multiple times, every single day should not provide an honest answer? As part of a due diligence investigation, the school AD and president would have been seeking out his version of the events and the impact they had on him and the team members

• Haha

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
To me it’s similar to the situation with Gary Dolphin and Bruno Fernando. Dolph clearly didn’t have any malicious intent, but he/we also needed to understand why black men would interpret that differently. He apologized, and pledged to learn from it and do better. And everyone’s moved on. I don’t see why this situation can’t be resolved the same thing way.

I would say that this McDermott situation is worse than the Dolph one. As far as I remember Fernando didn't even take any offense to it, and it was clear Dolph was attempting to make a compliment about his physically imposing play. The McDermott situation is a bit tougher as it's pretty blatantly something he shouldn't have said, and at least one party to it took offense to it. No real grey area on it being something he shouldn't have said.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I would say that this McDermott situation is worse than the Dolph one. As far as I remember Fernando didn't even take any offense to it, and it was clear Dolph was attempting to make a compliment about his physically imposing play. The McDermott situation is a bit tougher as it's pretty blatantly something he shouldn't have said, and at least one party to it took offense to it. No real grey area on it being something he shouldn't have said.

I remember Fernando handled that gracefully. I do remember during one of the ensuing debates on M&A a black listener called in and briefly explained the history behind it and why it’s not a good idea to refer to black men that way. So, while ultimately Dolph and Fernando resolved it there was still something to take away from it. Not necessarily a bad thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron