Dish Network adds Longhorn Network

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Those of you that were hoping the channel would die, you're out of luck. SEC Network will be added as well.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Watch ESPN3 app access will be nice as well. It seems that the LHN will be forced upon any distributor that has to renegotiate their ESPN contract. The question not addressed is what tier are they putting it on.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Dish now has PAC 12, SEC and Longhorn net. DirecTV has none of those. Dish is much better for College Sports.

The only advantage DTV has is the NFL Sunday ticket. So, unless you are forking over the money for that I don't understand why DTV gets the tag of best for sports.

ia8manfan

Apr 12, 2006
Philadelphia
It's all fine and dandy until your bill goes up $15/month. If everyone just gave a big middle finger to cable/satellite, we could have a la carte sooner than people think.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
It's all fine and dandy until your bill goes up $15/month. If everyone just gave a big middle finger to cable/satellite, we could have a la carte sooner than people think.
They've been saying a la carte is the future for how many years now???

A la carte isn't happening any time soon. No one comes out ahead.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

People are just going to shut down their viewing en masse in some hope that all the cable companies will disband their systems and implement some massive, expensive change? How exactly does that work?

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
They've been saying a la carte is the future for how many years now???

A la carte isn't happening any time soon. No one comes out ahead.
The consumer along with channels people actually watch would come out ahead. I'm sure the $3-5 I would spend on ESPN is more than they get from Dish currently.

ia8manfan

Apr 12, 2006
Philadelphia
People are just going to shut down their viewing en masse in some hope that all the cable companies will disband their systems and implement some massive, expensive change? How exactly does that work?

That's the problem, not enough people are giving it up. I can't believe how many people spend $80/month on TV. To each their own, but I can think of something better to use almost $1000/year on.

ia8manfan

Apr 12, 2006
Philadelphia
The consumer along with channels people actually watch would come out ahead. I'm sure the $3-5 I would spend on ESPN is more than they get from Dish currently.
That's what it would take to happen. The current landscape is littered with BS channels that just kept getting added every year and the providers bend over for another $1/subscriber/month. Those $1's add up. If we went back to the basic 20 cable channels (ESPN, TNT, Discovery, etc) it would be better. Or like I said a la carte. I understand a la carte would be more expensive on a per channel basis (say if I got ESPN only it may be $15/month) but I would gladly pay that than waste the other $65 on honey boo boo reruns.

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
That's the problem, not enough people are giving it up. I can't believe how many people spend $80/month on TV. To each their own, but I can think of something better to use almost $1000/year on.

Car washes, eating out, gambling, drinking, Molly maid, gas, ticket prices, price of food or beer at venue etc. 80 a month is chump change for the technology involved.

think about what it takes to go to go to a football game per Saturday with donation, tickets gas and tailgate. And use cheap seats as an example. Internet and TV companies are not ripping you off any more than anyone else.

getting charged 10 bucks a beer is a rip off.

Last edited:

Jordanj6502

Jan 9, 2010
Ames

Actually the price per channel per person would logically go up, because they would have less total subscribers. So if 75% if cable people watch ESPN, and 25% don't, but 100% pay for it. Where as if it is changed, then only the 75% would pay for it, but ESPN would still want the same dollar amount, so they would make up the difference by charging more. Now this logic applies in reverse too, where 75% of people are paying for channels that they don't watch. Those channels would struggle to make up the difference and probably cease to exist... unless they happen to be owned by Disney (or Viacom, or Turner, or some other media conglomerate), who is making you pay for ESPN, and now you also have to help float the ABC Family channel too.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
If a la carte is as easy as people think it is, why hasn't it happened yet?

Want Fox and CBS to watch the NFL? That'll be $10 each please.
Want ESPN? $15 please.
Want Fox Sports? That'll be $10 please.
Want NBC? That'll be another $10 please.

Oh, that movie you wanted to watch on Spike? $5 will take care of that.

Baseball game on TBS? $5 no problem.

College game on ESPN2? For $5 it can be yours.

It would be an absolutely disaster.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron