Des Moines High School football

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
They've been doing that forever in Cedar Rapids...Kennedy, Washington, Jefferson, and Regis before Xavier.

Didn't end their football.

Reactions: ruxCYtable

explorer

Apr 16, 2006
Marion, IA
Actually, I don't think that will be true. The three high schools in Cedar Rapids School District all use one centrally located stadium. While it seems to be a weird concept, it works, quite well actually.

Reactions: MrPeske

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
They've been doing that forever in Cedar Rapids...Kennedy, Washington, Jefferson, and Regis before Xavier.

Didn't end their football.

Yeah I guess I'm missing the rationale as to how this would end football for Des Moines schools. The Cedar Rapids schools sharing Kingston has already been pointed out. Indianola didn't have its own stadium until a handful of years ago, they played at Simpson. Hell Coe College didn't even have its own home field for years back in the day, they played at Marion's field.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I don't like the concept personally (to me I'd just prefer my own home field, if possible) but as other posters have said, the method works and works well for schools who utilize it.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Des Moines is not Cedar Rapids. Go to an away football game in Des Moines. Nobody goes. Now make every game an away game
Idk if you realize this but high schools sports aren't self-sustaining. Games will continue to be played regardless of whether there are fans.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
My high school was a top-level state powerhouse and we didn't have our own field, ever. We played every game away or at a rotating combination of small college fields. 11 guys drafted into the NFL, including a Heisman trophy winner

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Idk if you realize this but high schools sports aren't self-sustaining. Games will continue to be played regardless of whether there are fans.
plus, it's not like tons of people go to high schools even when they're at home. and I say that as a DMPS grad.

Plus, and this is petty, but considering that I feel like the suburb schools are at least partially responsible for "ruining" football in des moines (for their role in getting rid of the CIML metro), I don't really care about their opinions on this

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Actually, I don't think that will be true. The three high schools in Cedar Rapids School District all use one centrally located stadium. While it seems to be a weird concept, it works, quite well actually.

It used to be they'd have games Thursday and Friday nights and I'm sure it's the same now.

Before field turf that place was a mess for the season if you had one rainy game.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Pretty sure they all use to play at the same field years ago.

The "city" schools (East, North, Lincoln, Hoover, Roosevelt) all played at either Williams or Hutchens for a long time. Had Thursday and Saturday games to get everything in.

Hoover didn't have its own field until 1997. North opened its stadium in 2002. Roosevelt went back to playing at Drake in 2006.

Last edited:

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
Dowling doesn’t have their own stadium and they seem to do OK in football.

Cytown12

Mar 11, 2012
Des Moines,IA
So what happens with Hoover's,North's and Lincoln's football stadiums then? Because East stadium at least has Grand View to take over there stadium

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron