Deonte Burton's game

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Ideal scenario he is simply too good to keep out of the starting lineup by the time conference play rolls around Ala McKay last year. If either he or Nader has a tremendous year we are going to be really really great.

CYdways432

Jan 22, 2015
Cedar Rapids
I'm excited for the alley oops he will catch from GN and Monte. Hope he plays hard on defense, His size and strength for a guard should be able to great some mismatches. Dare I even compare his to a former transfer that was able to post up smaller guards? (sarcasm):spinny:

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Great. Now I have to clean up around here... In all seriousness, I can really see why he was a top 50 recruit out of high school. Holy ****! He will thrive in our system.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
After having some discussion in another thread about the impact Burton would or would not have next year, I went looking for some video. Here is video from High School. Seems like a great fit for our system. I was really impressed by his handle. If he plays hard on defense, it will allow Fred to create so many mis-matches on offense with different lineup changes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSF2FwHNAa0

Thanks for posting the clip, hadn't seen that one before. Most excited about what he can bring to the team.

Burton from purely an athletic standpoint is most likely to make it in the NBA. We will see how well he shoots it from the 3 but I'm feeling good about that as well based on Fred's comments.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
He has the potential to be an absolutely incredible basketball player. He can handle the ball very well, can rebound, and has great athleticism. Hopefully he can play consistent defense.

DesignerClone

Dec 13, 2014
Thanks for posting the clip, hadn't seen that one before. Most excited about what he can bring to the team.

Burton from purely an athletic standpoint is most likely to make it in the NBA. We will see how well he shoots it from the 3 but I'm feeling good about that as well based on Fred's comments.

Wow, crafty like Pratt but can play above the rim! I like.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
You're welcome. Thanks for the nice comments.

Thinking about this a bit more, to elaborate, if anything, the information above just confuses and intrigues me more than answers the question on what he's going to be like.

-very limited playing time on an average time... why not more?

-INSANELY efficient when he did play, however

-mostly from scoring... didn't look like an elite rebound or distribution guy

-doesn't look like an elite shooter, either, compared to our guys in conference last year...

-44.1% 2pt shooter (that would be last out of our guys last year, McKay was #1 at 58.1% and Niang was last at 45.8% with a ton of volume)

-4/6 from three... not much of a sample size there

-60% free throw shooter... I'm sure Fred can help, but that's not gaudy

He was great in small doses. Maybe he can at least do the same thing for us. Another year of practice and a better system and coaching might help, too. But he doesn't scream that he's going to be some sort of monster, to me, particularly to start. We've got at least seven assets right now that have proven to be effective major conference players with volume (though not always consistency, in the case of Thomas and Nader):

Morris, Niang, McKay, Long, Thomas, Nader, Cooke*

*pending injury recovery

I'd have to imagine all of them (and anybody brought in, either a graduate transfer/JUCO or Diallo) are ahead of Burton right now. His efficiency stats are insane, and he's clearly got a lot of potential given that and his recruiting ranking, but I'm wary of scaling it.

Williams is a complete wild card. No idea how the injury recovery will go, how he'll adjust to major conference ball, but the rankings and the fit are there (Fred salivates with a big, tall guy who can shoot).

He'll be nice to have, and figures to be a core guy after next year. We might lose 5/5 starters after next season...

Morris - maybe NBA by then
Long - graduating
Nader/Diallo - graduating/NBA
Niang - graduating
McKay - graduating

And we'll need to reload quick.

1. Marquette was very guard heavy so Buzz and Wojo played him down low as a forward on the block. He was a 6'4" post player who came in to give starters a breather.
  2. Not an elite rebounder because he was 6'4" playing down low. He could clear people out and get proper position but height limited his ability to get rebounds.
  3. When looking at shooting percentage keep in mind what position he was playing

everyone keeps hoping for a player who can rebound and defend.

that's why wojo couldn't play him many minutes - he couldn't rebound or defend!

hopefully burton can build on his skills under hoiberg - i see no reason he wouldn't.

Wojo didn't play him more minutes because it was a guard heavy team and he put Burton down low. Burton could play other positions while the other guards could not.

Burton was forced to play out of position for both Buzz and Wojo strictly because he was versatile and could do a lot of different things. This is a big reason that Burton is at iSu. He was forced to play out of position. The kid has a better handle and shoots better than Nader. He shot 44% from the three and I would expect Fred to use him like Hogue. Yes, his threes were limited at Marquette but that was do to the position he played and not his ability Fred does very well with players like Burton. Tweeners. I expect him to play the three and to take bigger guys off the dribble or post up smaller guys.

Last edited:

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Bump.
Was listening to @JStanz51 and JBo. Jordan was talking about Fran's prep for ISU's team. He was going thru individual players and apparently said "the sun rises in the East, sets in the West, and Burton is gonna drive left." He mentioned they couldn't do anything to stop him.
(We did lose the game badly)

I just thought it was great insight.

Cyclonefan710

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2012
Bump.
Was listening to @JStanz51 and JBo. Jordan was talking about Fran's prep for ISU's team. He was going thru individual players and apparently said "the sun rises in the East, sets in the West, and Burton is gonna drive left." He mentioned they couldn't do anything to stop him.
(We did lose the game badly)

I just thought it was great insight.
Fairly certain he was talking about not being able to stop Brockington. Deonte was not good against Iowa.

ISUMojoMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 2, 2010
Fairly certain he was talking about not being able to stop Brockington. Deonte was not good against Iowa.

The way I heard it he was talking about Deonte Burton but it applies to brockington so any clarification would be cool.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
He was talking about Burton, but then went on to compare with IB. Said everyone knew what he was going to do and it didn’t matter. It was complimentary of IB. Not really Burton.

Cyclonefan710

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2012
The way I heard it he was talking about Deonte Burton but it applies to brockington so any clarification would be cool.
That’s how it started and then they shifted to how it was the same gameplay for Brockington and he still went off

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
Is JBo still a punk? I refuse to listen

It's not a bad pod, but its definitely the weakest of the Iowa Everywhere lineup. Probably not fair to compare JBo to seasoned media pros that Williams, Blum, Miller, Hassel have become, but he comes across really juvenile and simplistic compared to them, and again probably not fair comparison but his anecdotes and wisdom from his playing career are super childish compared to Rosenfels

Reactions: wclarson

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Is JBo still a punk? I refuse to listen
He definitely sounds like a college sophomore or junior in the podcasts from a maturity standpoint opposed to a guy who spent 10 years in college, but I do like his insight. Maybe it's just me, but I find behind the scenes, off the court stories from college athletes to be interesting, no matter the team.

Reactions: wclarson

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
It's not a bad pod, but its definitely the weakest of the Iowa Everywhere lineup. Probably not fair to compare JBo to seasoned media pros that Williams, Blum, Miller, Hassel have become, but he comes across really juvenile and simplistic compared to them, and again probably not fair comparison but his anecdotes and wisdom from his playing career are super childish compared to Rosenfels

It really surprises me that any of these guys would want to be associated with J Bo in any way. Hard to find a worst person than that punk.

Reactions: CycloneVet

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls

He is really juvenile and simplistic, that’s who he is

• Agree
Reactions: twincyties

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
It's wild to me that Jbo even played against Deonte. Feels like Deonte has been gone for a decade by now and Jbo just wrapped up his career a few months ago.