DeJulius Thread: What I'm hearing

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA
Some of you guys were really spoiled from the Hoiberg era... all I’m gonna say.

You're right, we need to keep some perspective. Prohm only has the 2 worst losses in the history of Hilton Coliseum and the first 20 loss season in what...40ish years? Wait, that probably isn't the perspective you wanted us to arrive at.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009

I know prior to 2011 we were always losing 20 games a year, losing at home by 30 to a bubble squad and losing at home to a MEAC squad.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I know prior to 2011 we were always losing 20 games a year, losing at home by 30 to a bubble squad and losing at home to a MEAC squad.

But fortunately for Fred, Larry took care of that embarrassing ncaa tourney loss. He’s only second on that list.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
You're right, we need to keep some perspective. Prohm only has the 2 worst losses in the history of Hilton Coliseum and the first 20 loss season in what...40ish years? Wait, that probably isn't the perspective you wanted us to arrive at.

Also broke the 59 game winning streak for KU at the Phog.

But look, if Prohm doesn’t get to the tourney this year, I don’t care if he’s gone after that, I would fully understand. I don’t have a ton of faith in him personally at the moment but I think this years class will actually produce 1 Star and 1 really good Big 12 player and that’s where I have faith.

cb1030

Oct 6, 2017
I understand it comes off pretty high and mighty. For which I apologize. However, answer these questions: What does the negativity do for the program? How long are you prepared to suffer losing seasons before the new coach meets your expectations? What are your expectations? Will you pile on that coach too?
Your questions are based on inaccurate assumptions. Your first, that I'm just being negative, isn't accurate. I'm merely reacting to the reality of the situation. It's a reflection of actual results. You may want to refer to that as being negative, but I disagree. This isn't like I'm nit-picking a sweet 16 team and predicting a bottom finish the following year. I'm a fan of the program and an alum that has spent a lot of money and time invested in going to games because I love cyclone basketball. That being said, if you think my "negativity" on a message board means much in terms of the performance of Steve's program, then I think you need to reexamine your own thought process.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Your questions are based on inaccurate assumptions. Your first, that I'm just being negative, isn't accurate. I'm merely reacting to the reality of the situation. It's a reflection of actual results. You may want to refer to that as being negative, but I disagree. This isn't like I'm nit-picking a sweet 16 team and predicting a bottom finish the following year. I'm a fan of the program and an alum that has spent a lot of money and time invested in going to games because I love cyclone basketball. That being said, if you think my "negativity" on a message board means much in terms of the performance of Steve's program, then I think you need to reexamine your own thought process.

The message board thing.....on a normal year I would agree. But with them now not being able to set foot on campus, to meet people, walk through Hilton, where things like a piddly little message board means ****....isn't the case anymore. Not that this site is the end all....but it holds more weight than usual. And with the vocal minority here beating the same drum in EVERY discussion....it adds up.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

And the Floyd Era, and the Eustachy era....

Are you saying we should be satisfied as fans during program down periods like GMac and Prohm? We as fans should just be happy with it? No, our program needs to improve. It appears we need a new coach to do that, this one has failed.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

Hey, you are just being a bad fan.

By my definition, fans who place loyalty to a specific coach over the ISU program itself are the bad fans.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Good coaching and not being overwhelmed isn’t a singular thing. Signs it may be lacking;
-month long implosions with a roster like 2018-19.
-.500 in conference play with rosters considered in the top part of the conference.
-Poor team defense, particularly ball screen defense.
-Inability to consistently dictate matchups.
-Poor communication with players
-Poor roster management so you’re playing two centers because you have no modern 4’s, among other roster holes (spring recruiting)

There are reasons why we’re likely on our way to 3 very poor seasons in 4 once the program became fully reflective of this staff. Prohm and his staff haven’t been good enough in many facets, and right now they seem overwhelmed by the challenge they’ve created. Things change with one or two players in CBB and I think with a couple staff changes, Prohm could have a successful run ahead. He’s apparently going with what’s led him to this downturn though.
Hindsight is so easy. Isn't it? I'm just trying to get people with all the opinions on the front end of the possible scenarios. I've said it before and I'll say it again: people who only criticize without solutions aren't my cup of tea.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
The message board thing.....on a normal year I would agree. But with them now not being able to set foot on campus, to meet people, walk through Hilton, where things like a piddly little message board means ****....isn't the case anymore. Not that this site is the end all....but it holds more weight than usual. And with the vocal minority here beating the same drum in EVERY discussion....it adds up.
Is our spring recruiting success different than previous springs?

I get the desire in thinking there are actions you can take to help and to feel there’s some reward for being a “good” (positive/naive) fan, but that’s just your coping mechanism. Or fantasy!

This staff has generally struggled every spring. Now the entire coaching profession can point to assistants trying to leave and 12-20, etc. It’s bound to be worse than even before.

But fear not, it only takes one. And it’ll happen regardless of what you or I post.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
All I remember from 40 years ago, is that it was consistent year in and year out. And none of those players went to the NBA. And none of those coaches won a B12 conference championship. I get what everyone is saying. It's just that people don't have to be the squeaky wheel to be heard.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Hindsight is so easy. Isn't it? I'm just trying to get people with all the opinions on the front end of the possible scenarios. I've said it before and I'll say it again: people who only criticize without solutions aren't my cup of tea.

The solution is to replace Prohm with a coach who can succeed at the Big 12 level.

Reactions: arobb

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron