DeAndre Kane - L.A.

BallSoHard4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Sarcasm???

Um no. Even if Nash is better right now skill wise, his age and injury prone body will lead just being on the team.

Marshall, maybe. I just haven't seen much from Marshall to tell me the Lakers want to stick with him long term. Them drafting a PG would point to that as well. Marshall put up some solid stats but the Lakers were generally getting destroyed so most of his points (8 PPG) came in garbage time and his assists too (8 APG).

mattyice

Oct 15, 2011
Get a free first round pick out of it, the Lakers aren't going to be good next year anyway, why not do the deal?

Yeah you get Lin on an expiring contract and a 1st round pick...so essentiually you get him for nothing.

LA would be insane NOT to do this deal.

And it appears we have a lot of Kane colored glasses in this room....iloved Kane....hes not better than Lin much less Steve Nash even if he is 57 years old.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
He has an expiring contract and they have cap space, meaning he fills a spot this year and they save money for next year's free agent group. Silly, but they have money they need to spend.

I'd give Swaggy P a max contract, just for the hell of it.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I don't know that any transaction makes it tougher for Summer League guys to make the team. So few of these guys make teams, much less play, that it's almost impossible from the start.

That said, Kane can play in the NBA. He's got the game. Getting the legitimate opportunity is the sticking point, since he's apparently Methusaleh old.

This. I couldn't find the stats, but I remember reading an article that explained how most guys don't end up on the roster of whoever they play for in Vegas and Orlando. Summer league is more like a way of getting your foot in the door. Scouts for other teams (both NBA and overseas) can get a look at your game and maybe offer you an opportunity down the road. Deandre will probably have to pay his dues in the D league or Europe, just like a lot of other guys who weren't first round picks.

uro cy

Oct 28, 2006
I can't think of a worse deal than obtaining Jeremy Lin for what he costs. That would be a stupid move for L.A.

Looks like the are also getting a future 1st round pick. Not sure, but his salary wont be on the books much longer, which still gives him value as a future trade asset.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
This. I couldn't find the stats, but I remember reading an article that explained how most guys don't end up on the roster of whoever they play for in Vegas and Orlando. Summer league is more like a way of getting your foot in the door. Scouts for other teams (both NBA and overseas) can get a look at your game and maybe offer you an opportunity down the road. Deandre will probably have to pay his dues in the D league or Europe, just like a lot of other guys who weren't first round picks.

I couldn't find it, either, but that's the one I was thinking of.
Even then, the chances of actually seeing the floor are remote, although Diante Garrett and Chris Babb have done a nice job breaking through the impossible odds.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
Looks like the are also getting a future 1st round pick. Not sure, but his salary wont be on the books much longer, which still gives him value as a future trade asset.

Lets not forget Jersey sales in China.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
I couldn't find it, either, but that's the one I was thinking of.
Even then, the chances of actually seeing the floor are remote, although Diante Garrett and Chris Babb have done a nice job breaking through the impossible odds.

While I agree 95% of the non returning summer league guys wont make the roster this year, kane has been pretty universally named as one of the few that are most likely to be on a roster next year among the undrafted. Some even saying his odds this year are better than many of the second rounders drafted (which I would agree with). I feel better about his odds then I ever did Royce Whites.

dfwcy

Oct 20, 2008
While I agree 95% of the non returning summer league guys wont make the roster this year, kane has been pretty universally named as one of the few that are most likely to be on a roster next year among the undrafted. Some even saying his odds this year are better than many of the second rounders drafted (which I would agree with). I feel better about his odds then I ever did Royce Whites.

Link?

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
What homerism? By the way, I heard that Ejim is beating Leonard for the starting SF spot with the Spurs.

Does an Ejim-Kane-Garrett-Babb-White lineup win a title or just get to the Finals?

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Lin is still better than Kane, but Lin is still massively overrated in my mind. It does make some sense for L.A. to take him with what others have explained. We will see if Kane beats out Kendall Marshall. That won't be easy.