Daytona 500

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
The wreck was wild but when I saw him take a direct hit to the drivers door from another car that is when I got worried.

Same. In slow motion you can really see the car and safer barrier compressing to absorb all of the energy like it's supposed to. The hit to the driver door/roof area is really where your stomach sinks thinking about the possibilities...

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
This isnt his first nasty wreck at Daytona

I keep refreshing Facebook, CF, and Twitter hoping he is alright.

That's the iconic "Big One" crash to me. The pirouette with the tires flying off. They named a new rollbar after him following that crash. Interesting to think the enhancements from that crash may have saved him in this one.

• Agree
Reactions: cmjh10

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Is there any chance that the car will end up at a Nascar/Daytona museum to show the advancement in safety they have made? Or do they just take them apart to learn more about what to improve?

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
I went from pulling for him to win to hoping he was alive in an instant. That was probably the scariest wreck I have seen as it happened. Dale Sr wreck didn't seem serious until they didn't pull him from the car.

How someone at NASCAR didn't communicate to Gibbs and DH to keep the celebration to a minimum before they did was to bad. But it wasn't Joe or Denny's fault. Just a ****** situation and if we know anything about NASCAR all the drivers are like a big family and other than Lagono they genuinely get a long pretty good.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I was just surprised at seeing the fire and the fuel pouring out, that it never did catch fire. The cameras were showing it and I just literally praying to god the safety crews got their quickly it just seemed like it took them forever to get their. Can't imagine the outcome if it had caught fire.

• Agree
Reactions: ZJohnson and Acylum

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Keith Murphy preaching on twitter was annoying AF.

To me it's indicative of the instant reactivity of things these days. Heaven forbid we wait and find out what Hamlin and Gibbs actually knew and when they knew it, or NASCARs ability to communicate the situation to them. Let's just all assume everyone involved is a terrible person who aren't about to let another competitor's health and well-being get in the way of their celebration.

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
To me it's indicative of the instant reactivity of things these days. Heaven forbid we wait and find out what Hamlin and Gibbs actually knew and when they knew it, or NASCARs ability to communicate the situation to them. Let's just all assume everyone involved is a terrible person who aren't about to let another competitor's health and well-being get in the way of their celebration.

All while we flip back and forth from broadcast cameras with a birds eye view of the winning team and upside down lifeless car, and the most up to date information possible from our couches as viewers.

ghettocowboy4cy

Oct 27, 2013
Is there any chance that the car will end up at a Nascar/Daytona museum to show the advancement in safety they have made? Or do they just take them apart to learn more about what to improve?

Most likely the car will be retained by NASCAR in it's R&D center out of public eye.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Was Newman in the lead on the last lap? What caused the crash?

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Was Newman in the lead on the last lap? What caused the crash?

Yes he was leading. Car behind him got loose and got into him which turned him into the wall. Just a racing incident.

It's scary when you wreck at the front of the field, you hold on tight hoping people she the wreck and avoid you.