Daytona 500

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
William mentioned the "Newman bar" on the fanatics yesterday. Pretty crazy to think that he may have saved his own life thanks to his engineering background.

https://www.businessinsider.com/ryan-newman-crash-safety-bar-named-after-him-saved-life-2020-2

Good to hear from this article that they are moving the drivers away fro the sides of the car. Aside from making it more difficult to ingress/egress, this should go a long way into making the cars safer.

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
First 10 seconds of this clip is a wreck I had at Knoxville in 2008. Of course we aren't going as fast as NASCAR but I didn't have and cuts, scrapes, bruises or soreness from it.

And yes that is Tony Stewart in the Bass Pro Shops #20. Ryan Newman was also there that year with Tony, but Ryan was watching.

Shouldn't have come up on Furman like that ;)

I remember watching him in the early 2000s at West Liberty, seemed like that left front was about 3' off the ground most nights.

The open wheel modifieds always made me nervous. Once saw one launch into a spiral (like a football) over the retaining wall going into turn 3 after clipping another driver's front tire.

Pretty neat to not have any of those results from your tumble!

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt