Dash cam, who has them?

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I got one after an accident in a parking lot that I was not able to prove fault on. The one I have is cheap and kind of sucks, so I wouldn't recommend it. I honestly wonder how long it will be before car makers start making this an option in cars.

• Agree
Reactions: wxman1

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
I'm thinking about buying a dash cam. Anyone currently have one they recommend? Has anyone gotten use out of one?
Yes, I had a lady back into me while I was parked. Caught it beautifully on the dash cam. I have one in each of my three vehicles. Garmin has them built into the back of their GPS units, That's pretty slick.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I don't have one but everything I hear is to make sure they record for a certain amount of time after you turn off your car. This makes sense for accidents and being pulled over by the police.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Really like my Rexing V1. Moderately priced, great video quality (rear cam not as great, but doesn't need to be), and it records audio inside the car.

If you get it, be sure to get a memory card with at least 90fps upload speed. Any less and it won't work well while using the rear cam in addition to front. I can post a couple of vids from it when I get home tonight.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
We have one, and usually keep it with the RV. FYI: they record audio too.... surprised us as we played one of the looped videos back.

I plan on buying one for the Van and the teenagers car.

benman82

Nov 17, 2009
I have a dash cam and I think of it as a one time insurance cost. It lets me avoid a he said she said situation, and costs less than $200. Mine doesn't pick up license plates unless I drive really close to the other car but I don't think that many cameras can pick them up any better. Make sure you watch a Youtube video on whatever model you're thinking of before you buy it. You should also know that there's two types of batteries in dash cams, regular batteries and capacitors. Capacitors have a much better life expectancy in the heat, and batteries are typically cheaper. I also looked for one that has a detachable cord and charges through usb so that I won't have to replace the whole thing if just the cord goes bad. There's always a good deal on this website, and I bought mine through one of their deal posts: https://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php?src=SearchBarV2&q=dash+cam&searcharea=deals&searchin=first

Edit: Mine picks up audio inside the car, so I could just speak a plate number if I can see it.

Last edited:

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I got one after an accident in a parking lot that I was not able to prove fault on. The one I have is cheap and kind of sucks, so I wouldn't recommend it. I honestly wonder how long it will be before car makers start making this an option in cars.
My 2016 Tacoma has a factory mount for a go-pro in it so I'd say that day isn't far off.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
So serious question. Why do you want this in your car? Just for insurance in case there's an accident and you can prove it wasn't your fault?

Dude, we have a huge car "Video Gap" with the Russians in posting YouTube car cam crash videos. We need to close this gap!

• Winner
Reactions: Farnsworth

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
Is this a clever CIA ruse to find out where the Russians are lurking?!?

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
If this were reddit I'd say to capture anything funny/unexpected and reap the sweet benefit of meaningless internet points.

The pursuit of having the best posts online is what separates us from the goddamn animals.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron