SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
  • Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Had a feeling this was coming based on his talk on radio. Could tell he was sick of getting up that early,.

• Love
Reactions: Tailg8er

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
The TV business is just a brutal job if you have a young/younger family too. If you work the morning show you basically go to bed much earlier and up by 2a for a chance to see your family in the afternoon and early evening and can't consistently stay up later to go out or watch a game. If you work the evening news you get the mornings off but miss out on everything by the time your spouse is off work and kids are out of school.

I have noticed that WHO has gone to a new format with their evening anchors where Elias and Erin do the 4-6:30pm newscasts then you have Jannay and Justin mostly doing the 10pm news now, Elias will be on at 10 sometimes but haven't seen Erin at 10 in quites some time. Probably only way to keep all them happy and give them some kind of time flexibility to be with their families.

The news anchor job seems to be evolving a bit where the younger ages that don't quite have as much going on because they are single or don't have kids at a certain age or the older personalities that have kids out of school now are doing more of the early morning and late night roles while the rest are working more of the daytime hours now than they used to. Seems to be a lot more burnout happening than there used to be as you are seeing people in the profession leave it for more normal hour jobs. The WHO morning show has seen both Brooke and Jodi leave along with Patrick after all had been with the station for a fair amount of time, same with Dan Winters in the evening. The shuffling and turover seems to be more common now that it used to be.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
interesting. wouldn't think this would pay as well
Yeah was wondering about that myself. Maybe he took a paycut to get rid of those god awful hours or maybe the management there did him a solid and kept him at the same salary to do what appears to be less work/better hours.

Reactions: Drew0311

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Wish he would replace Sears and be Murph's co-host on soundoff. Maybe he will at least maybe do that when Sears has a Sunday off.

When Admire left to become the voice of the Drake Bulldogs I was hoping that Andy would move back to sports or maybe even Justin Surrency would but instead they hired Fruend who is about as unbearable as Sears. Maybe this sets up Andy to possibly take over for Keith when he eventually retires? Moving Jerriann to miday newscasts made me wonder if that was a move to set her up to take over Ed's job as chief when he retires. Just a lot of shuffling going on at WHO with a lot of the most tenured talent there taking on different time slots and roles now. My guess part of it is if they didn't give in to some of the changes like Erin hardly doing any 10pm newscasts now they may have lost them entirely if some of this came from new contract negotiations.

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN
interesting. wouldn't think this would pay as well

We work on contracts in the industry. Think of it like baseball. You have a short stop that got moved to 3rd base. Still on the team, still a valuable asset. Doesn't change the terms on the contract.

That said... new contracts can happen in clear instances of promotion (not always though)

The TV business is just a brutal job if you have a young/younger family too. If you work the morning show you basically go to bed much earlier and up by 2a for a chance to see your family in the afternoon and early evening and can't consistently stay up later to go out or watch a game. If you work the evening news you get the mornings off but miss out on everything by the time your spouse is off work and kids are out of school.

I have noticed that WHO has gone to a new format with their evening anchors where Elias and Erin do the 4-6:30pm newscasts then you have Jannay and Justin mostly doing the 10pm news now, Elias will be on at 10 sometimes but haven't seen Erin at 10 in quites some time. Probably only way to keep all them happy and give them some kind of time flexibility to be with their families.

The news anchor job seems to be evolving a bit where the younger ages that don't quite have as much going on because they are single or don't have kids at a certain age or the older personalities that have kids out of school now are doing more of the early morning and late night roles while the rest are working more of the daytime hours now than they used to. Seems to be a lot more burnout happening than there used to be as you are seeing people in the profession leave it for more normal hour jobs. The WHO morning show has seen both Brooke and Jodi leave along with Patrick after all had been with the station for a fair amount of time, same with Dan Winters in the evening. The shuffling and turover seems to be more common now that it used to be.

You're sniffing up the right tree with all of this. I'm at that critical point in the journey with the family. Thankfully, my position has been rather flexible up to this point to allow me to stay in the game. Not sure it will continue forever though. Hours are typically not too kind. I can also plan on working 2 out of every 3 holidays.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I would love to see Sears take a job somewhere else.
Unfortunately I think he’s happy where he’s at and will become the next sports director whenever Murphy retires. It’s never been outright stated but the way Murphy speaks about him seems to imply it.

Sears’ schtick/personality has always grated on me. His calling himself “Mr Soundoff” seems super disrespectful to a show that’s really become an institution and has been around way longer than him. Murphy is the real Mr soundoff, but Andy or even the round guy would have more of a claim than Sears.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Unfortunately I think he’s happy where he’s at and will become the next sports director whenever Murphy retires. It’s never been outright stated but the way Murphy speaks about him seems to imply it.

Sears’ schtick/personality has always grated on me. His calling himself “Mr Soundoff” seems super disrespectful to a show that’s really become an institution and has been around way longer than him. Murphy is the real Mr soundoff, but Andy or even the round guy would have more of a claim than Sears.
Hearing him call our team the Cyclowns on one of his very first on-camera reports pretty much told me what he would be like. He has done nothing to dispel that opinion.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron