*** Cyclone Fanatic Sitcom Tournament: Final Four ***

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
And Full House wasn't around until 5 seasons of Cheers. I liked Cheers too, but I wouldn't call it groundbreaking. If you ask me Taxi was very similar to Cheers and came before it. In fact the Cheers creators were writers for Taxi.

Good point with writer/creator overlap of Taxi & Cheers.

To me they seem cut from some of the same cloth, in similar TV era with ensemble cast approach.

The early phase of Cheers feels a lot like Taxi - characters on their way to big dreams, but were sidetracked for this reason or that.

Cheers may have worked better with viewers long-term because although it involved the "working crew" it also extended to the clientele - who could relate to "after work" social life. ("Taxi" was internal).

Note: This isn't the first time I've compared the two shows, but usually it was informal thought process ... not sure I've ever written it. So I can't vouch for its analytical validity.

Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I don't care for the office. Can't stand 90% of the cast.

I watch Seinfeld and like it, because I love Larry David's writing. I absolutely hate Jerry Seinfeld though.
Agreed, I never got into The Office and maybe I should go back and watch it from the start again and see if I view it differently now but I loved Seinfeld. Seinfeld was ahead of its time when it aired as most sitcoms had a running plot and Seinfeld was "a show about nothing" where they could make a hit episode out of a 1 hit wonder like the soup nazi or the library cop where they would throw everything at you including the kitchen sink then come up with something completely different the next episode that had nothing to do with the episode before it.

Reactions: demoncore1031

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site
The Office GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Cheers should win this hand's down. When that show came along there wasn't anything close. It was crappy sitcom (remember three's company, night court, cosby, full house, and happy day spinoffs that nobody but your parents watched). It carried Thursday night ratings for NBC and their other shows for years. The characters were iconic - from Sam to coach (the best) to woody to norm to cliff then to diane and frazier (both the two least favorites but still bearable); the writing was witty and it was something you looked forward to every week. The song is still one of the best of all time (Rockford files and MASH would be close seconds). No need for this tourney, just crown the champion already.
Except when the producers gave the writers a week off and chose to write them themselves. Ouch. I can guarantee that any episode where you say "there've been better", the producers wrote it.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Agreed, I never got into The Office and maybe I should go back and watch it from the start again and see if I view it differently now but I loved Seinfeld. Seinfeld was ahead of its time when it aired as most sitcoms had a running plot and Seinfeld was "a show about nothing" where they could make a hit episode out of a 1 hit wonder like the soup nazi or the library cop where they would throw everything at you including the kitchen sink then come up with something completely different the next episode that had nothing to do with the episode before it.

Lemme guess, you're over 45? Don't think I've ever met anyone between ~25-45 who doesn't like (nay, love) The Office. I don't count the last couple seasons, cause yeah, they did keep it going too long.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Just got one in for the GOAT. Creed Bratton off the bench for a huge bucket!!!!
creed-bratton-office-man-slipped-in-creed-bratton-office-mud-and-the-rain.gif

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Lemme guess, you're over 45? Don't think I've ever met anyone between ~25-45 who doesn't like (nay, love) The Office. I don't count the last couple seasons, cause yeah, they did keep it going too long.

After about 5-6 seasons The Office started reaching even with Michael.

Pretty soon it turned into 'oh my gosh guys, here's a problem somehow, what are we going to do about it?' and then every character would get a line that fit their traits.

That said I still find some good things in there even in the late seasons, and the finale was actually really good imo.

Last edited:

JimDogRock

Feb 21, 2010
Cedar Falls
Jenna Fischer and I were both in a sparse crowd at a hole-in-the-wall bar as last call was announced. I bought us a couple shots of Jameson, and as she finished hers she looks me over and asks, "Where are we taking this party now?"
Yada yada yada ...

I voted for Seinfeld.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Don't get me wrong, I'll vote for either Seinfeld or The Office in the finals, but the judgement shown by Jim in The Office is just silly. He had chances with these two heart throbs
PRI_179804171.jpg

But instead went for Pam
MV5BOTVhYTQ2NDEtYjQ4ZS00ZDY3LWJlYTYtNDM0Nzk4Y2EyMWIzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTUzMTg2ODkz._V1_.jpg

Not to mention that Pam is a little bit of a B

• Disagree
Reactions: algonacy

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
After about 4-5 seasons The Office started reaching even with Michael.

Pretty soon it turned into 'oh my gosh guys, here's a problem somehow, what are we going to do about it?' and then every character would get a line that fit their traits.

That said I still find some good things in there even in the late seasons, and the finale was actually really good imo.
Maybe, but season 4's episode 'Dinner Party' is easily in my top-5 single sitcom episodes of all time.

cyclonpediaJoe

Jun 27, 2012
Norwalk
Don't get me wrong, I'll vote for either Seinfeld or The Office in the finals, but the judgement shown by Jim in The Office is just silly. He had chances with these two heart throbs
PRI_179804171.jpg

But instead went for Pam
MV5BOTVhYTQ2NDEtYjQ4ZS00ZDY3LWJlYTYtNDM0Nzk4Y2EyMWIzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTUzMTg2ODkz._V1_.jpg

Fair, but Jim had a lot of character flaws. Thought about cheating, went behind Pam's back, didn't keep open communication. I obviously voted The Office lol.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
PRI_179804171.jpg

But instead went for Pam

I'm going for Pam 10 times out of 10. She has that "good girl" thing going for her...

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron