Cutting the Cord

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
I just decided to end our Mediacom TV and Internet as well. Centurylink is offering a $30/month 1 year special. The data cap is 250 GBs and the speed is up to 12 MB/second. Is this good enough for slingTV? Thanks!

The data cap could be an issue if you stream a ton of TV. Speed should be adequate. You can limit the data usage in the app. If you use a lower rate, the picture degrades some.

jkrapfl

Mar 29, 2006
Dubuque, IA
Playstation Vue is another option.

We actually just signed up for the free trial over the weekend and so far have been impressed. You don't have to have a Playstation to use it.

There is a Roku channel and Amazon Fire TV option that I know of and it may have Apple TV and Chromecast support as well. It is similar to Sling, but you are able to watch on multiple TVs at once. There are three different packages (Elite, Core and Access) and you get a pretty good selection of channels even with the Access package for $29.99.

You can setup different profiles similar to Netflix and each profile can setup "My Shows" which will save episodes to the cloud for like a month so that you can watch them like a DVR. You can watch live tv on most channels, but unless you live in a big city you can't watch live local channels. You will have On Demand options for your wife to watch things like the Bachelor and Bravo is listed as a channel on the smallest package so she can watch Real Housewives as well.

Sports channels are also available like ESPN and FS1/2 and what you get depends on the package you sign up for. There are no contracts either.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Just don't pull a Cyclonepride. I spent an hour comparing channel lineups before switching from Directv to our local provider. Turns out, I didn't notice that three of my wife's favorite channels weren't on there (I noticed one of them).

I literally made the lady from DirecTV confirm three separate times that Bravo was included to avoid this exact situation.

• Winner
Reactions: Cyclonepride

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
Playstation Vue. No Playstation required. $35 and you get almost every sports station I had on directv, just $100 less a month. Had for 3 months, no complaints.

Are you in in central Iowa?

Last edited:

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
The data cap could be an issue if you stream a ton of TV. Speed should be adequate. You can limit the data usage in the app. If you use a lower rate, the picture degrades some.
I watch TV maybe an average of 10 hours per week (most of it is left on while I am working). I can always adjust my habit of leaving the TV on to make this work.

Secondly, I didn't realize all that Playstation Vue offers in comparison to SlingTV for only $10 more per month. That along with Cyclones.TV is the way to go for ISU fans!

Reactions: KnappShack

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Hadn't really heard about PS Vue before, & definitely didn't know you could get it without a Playstation. Might save me a bit vs Sling.

Anyone switched from Sling to Vue? Opinions?

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Hadn't really heard about PS Vue before, & definitely didn't know you could get it without a Playstation. Might save me a bit vs Sling.

Anyone switched from Sling to Vue? Opinions?
I just signed up for a week free trial.
I didn't realize how many more channels they offered than Sling. For about $10 more (I'd do the Core Slim), I'd say its definitely worth it.

Reactions: ianoconnor

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I just signed up for a week free trial.
I didn't realize how many more channels they offered than Sling. For about $10 more (I'd do the Core Slim), I'd say its definitely worth it.
For me it looks like it'll actually be $10 cheaper on Vue. I just upgraded my Sling to the $40 package in order to get FS1, NBC Sports, etc. I also had to pay $5 more to get the package that contains MSNBC (because they show Indycar races). I can get all of those channels, without losing anything I care about, for $35 on Vue. Going to start my free trial tonight.

Reactions: DSMCy

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
I read that Vue has cloud DVR. Does that mean that I can record espn to watch later or is it just certain channels?

StormnClone58

Jan 24, 2008
West Des Moines
Im a 'vue'er' and also switched to it from sling and absolutely love the decision. Use it on my ps4 and my fire box and both are awesome. Also love the fact multiple devices can use the service at once, unlike sling ... Also your psvue login allows you to use other stand alone apps like watch espn, nbc sports extra, nat geo, com central etc ... Also the 'dvr' option is more about cloud storage where it stores your favorites and you pull them from cloud as you would like ... Been using psvue since it came to dsm so PM me if anyone has any more specific questions ...

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
Data caps are the only reason why we haven't cut the cord. Hopefully they're outlawed in the near future

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Data caps are the only reason why we haven't cut the cord. Hopefully they're outlawed in the near future
For an extra $20 from Mediacom we go from 50 mps and 350 g to 100 mps and 999 g. Better than paying for satellite. I hate Mediacom, but haven't been horrible lately.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I didn't know that Vue was available in Central Iowa. Just starting to try Sling now.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Just started Vue trial. The UI on Roku is frankly abysmal. Hopefully they are working on it.

• Agree
Reactions: DSMCy

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
I just decided to end our Mediacom TV and Internet as well. Centurylink is offering a $30/month 1 year special. The data cap is 250 GBs and the speed is up to 12 MB/second. Is this good enough for slingTV? Thanks!

Sounds good as long as the service they give you actually performs at 12mbps. CenturyLink sold me 7mbps about 4 years ago and didn't find out until after everything had been paid and installed that they could only get 3mbps service where I live. They insisted they had the capability out here before I signed up, but then didn't do **** for me afterwards. Got away from them as fast as I could.

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
I read that Vue has cloud DVR. Does that mean that I can record espn to watch later or is it just certain channels?
For an extra $20 from Mediacom we go from 50 mps and 350 g to 100 mps and 999 g. Better than paying for satellite. I hate Mediacom, but haven't been horrible lately.

I was on 50/350 and went to 100/999 for 10 bucks a month.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron