convert LB to DE

sogocat

Nov 15, 2009
with all the LB on the roster for next year, will they try to bulk some up and switch them to DE

Yes13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Doubtful. The only LB we have big enough for DE is Jake Knott, and we aren't gonna move one of our best players. Maybe if George or Morgan or Mattison are good enough in coverage we could see Knott at DE on passing situations. But hopefully Lattimer and Maggitt along with Rony Nelson and a JUCO DE are good enough that we don't need to do that.

Now some of the incoming guys (Kyle Boyd and Jevohn Miller) could be moved to Dline. I haven't seen either play, but they look to have good size. Both are probably 6-2 220 right now. Random thought: I could also see Jared Brackens moving to the Dline. He looks bigger than advertised in this pic. He looks to be the same size as Lemke, and Lemke is listed at 6-4.
148268_1238328854534_1718667637_434462_7545439_n.jpg

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Doubtful. The only LB we have big enough for DE is Jake Knott, and we aren't gonna move one of our best players. Maybe if George or Morgan or Mattison are good enough in coverage we could see Knott at DE on passing situations. But hopefully Lattimer and Maggitt along with Rony Nelson and a JUCO DE are good enough that we don't need to do that.

Now some of the incoming guys (Kyle Boyd and Jevohn Miller) could be moved to Dline. I haven't seen either play, but they look to have good size. Both are probably 6-2 220 right now. Random thought: I could also see Jared Brackens moving to the Dline. He looks bigger than advertised in this pic. He looks to be the same size as Lemke, and Lemke is listed at 6-4.

So who is everyone in that pic? Is #4 JaQuarius Daniels? The two in front are Sam Richardson and Robert Standard, right?

Who is #14? He looks to be the best of the bunch physically IMO.

isufan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
SW Iowa
So who is everyone in that pic? Is #4 JaQuarius Daniels? The two in front are Sam Richardson and Robert Standard, right?

Who is #14? He looks to be the best of the bunch physically IMO.

The front row is lemke, richardson, standard, and brackens.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009

Yeah, Brackens is listed at 6'1" and Lemke is listed at 6'4". Either someone had a growth spurt or someone is lying. I'm guessing it's the latter....

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I can't believe that Lemke is going to be a TE? We desperately need him at DE.

How many TE's do we need.... 10?

I hope the coaching staff just tells some of these guys that they will get to try out at TE, but if they aren't cutting it, they will be moved to DE.

I do like recruiting a bunch of guys with TE size though. They can be TE's, DE's, or be grown into OL or DT's too. Very flexible.

TuckerBlayze

May 17, 2009

I want him to stay at safety! We need his size back there.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I think with Brackins it depends how how they can see him developing. If they think they can get speed on him it will be LB/S. If they think getting lbs on him will be easier he could move to DE. I still think Lemke will be a DE. I just think we have a lot of TE options, Daniels being one. I just don't see QB happening for him. I think with a RS, and two years, he could be one, but his athleticism may be needed sooner and he he is starting from such a deep hole in comparison to Barnett, Richardsen, and maybe Grady because of just how raw he is.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
with all the LB on the roster for next year, will they try to bulk some up and switch them to DE

ROTFL!!! What the heck are you talking about??? "All the LB on the roster?" Whose roster are you talking about??? Surely not Iowea State's, where half of the few available are converted safeties, and when a starter goes down in the season, they go with a constant nickel package!

Thanks for the laugh! :biggrin:

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
ROTFL!!! What the heck are you talking about??? "All the LB on the roster?" Whose roster are you talking about??? Surely not Iowea State's, where half of the few available are converted safeties, and when a starter goes down in the season, they go with a constant nickel package!

Thanks for the laugh! :biggrin:

Exactly. And some seem to be forgetting that we have Rony Nelson available next year with Lattimer, O'Neal, Maggitt, all back.

WHY would we want to convert our LB's, where we are short, into undersized DE's?

Yes13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Exactly. And some seem to be forgetting that we have Rony Nelson available next year with Lattimer, O'Neal, Maggitt, all back.

WHY would we want to convert our LB's, where we are short, into undersized DE's?

I assume you mean Neal. If he is still getting time next year I will be very disappointed in Maggitt. Neal should not be playing in the big 12.