Contesting Automated Speeding Ticket

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
Got caught on camera downtown on 9th St doing 37 in a 25. I didn't even know they had cameras there. Has anyone ever fought one these? Any tips for getting this dismissed?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
If you were driving at a time when there wasn't much traffic, you might have a chance.

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
There is a thread on this someplace on Reddit . You can wait it out and see if they charge you with a municipal infraction and take you to court, you can ask for a hearing and try to contest the calibration of the cameras or something similar or hope they don't show up at the hearing.

• Agree
Reactions: chadly82

GT25Ump

Oct 24, 2009
Sioux City, Iowa
A camera has caught me speeding twice, out on the interstate (like who doesn't speed on the interstate). Both times I received 3-4 notices by mail to pay $100 fines, I never responded/paid and I never received another notice. Now, I'm up in Sioux City and they just did a story about how much money those cameras have brought into the city's finances ($22 million) over the years, interesting story, but still very content in what I did.

https://siouxlandnews.com/news/loca...Mx9G4HFFl9RK8Z0BXCwnrAoppay-L7rAqh5qM3ym4xd7M

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
50% over the limit isn't likely to earn you much in court sympathy.

Boxster's personal rule of thumb is approximately 10% for innocuous speeding.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
A camera has caught me speeding twice, out on the interstate (like who doesn't speed on the interstate). Both times I received 3-4 notices by mail to pay $100 fines, I never responded/paid and I never received another notice. Now, I'm up in Sioux City and they just did a story about how much money those cameras have brought into the city's finances ($22 million) over the years, interesting story, but still very content in what I did.

https://siouxlandnews.com/news/loca...Mx9G4HFFl9RK8Z0BXCwnrAoppay-L7rAqh5qM3ym4xd7M
Note to self: automated speeding tickets are as enforceable as Congressional subpoenas.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008

I'm sure if you're ever pulled over in Sioux City, the routine check on your license will find a warrant or two for unpaid speeding tickets in Des Moines. They can arrest you for that.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I'm sure if you're ever pulled over in Sioux City, the routine check on your license will find a warrant or two for unpaid speeding tickets in Des Moines. They can arrest you for that.
Do you care to expand on that? Asking for a friend...

• Funny
Reactions: capitalcityguy

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Camera tickets in iowa are civil penalties. They dont go on your driving record, they arent reported to anyone. They are a way for local governments to bring in more revenue under the guise of making streets safer.

UnCytely

SuperFanatic
Sep 24, 2017
Council Bluffs, Iowa
Council Bluffs has long had red light cameras. Got caught by one once. I got it dismissed simply by threatening to challenge the ticket. I don't know why exactly they dismissed it, i suspect that 99% of people who get these tickets in the mail just pay up and when someone threatens to challenge it in court, it just isn't worth the time and cost of sending someone to court to uphold the ticket.

• Winner
Reactions: chadly82

Help Support Us

Become a patron