Coaching Search: Place your bets

mplueg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 27, 2009
If it is TJ then that is JP saying a middle of the road MBB team (top end) is acceptable as long as football is competing for top spots. Maybe it’s JP’s PTSD from when the Big XII just about crumbled and Iowa State was just about relegated to a non-power conference. Not where I wish we would be at, but I understand it.

If JP settles for TJ, I will still be an ISU MBB fanatic, but my expectations will similar to the WM era. (Also, I thought Fred was a woeful choice back in the day, so what the heck do I know.)

People forget this is ultimately a business, and Pollard is a great business man

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
If it is TJ then that is JP saying a middle of the road MBB team (top end) is acceptable as long as football is competing for top spots. Maybe it’s JP’s PTSD from when the Big XII just about crumbled and Iowa State was just about relegated to a non-power conference. Not where I wish we would be at, but I understand it.

If JP settles for TJ, I will still be an ISU MBB fanatic, but my expectations will similar to the WM era. (Also, I thought Fred was a woeful choice back in the day, so what the heck do I know.)

I don't advocate sacrificing basketball for football, but Pollard's #1 priority is keeping Matt Campbell happy. Continuing this run in football is going to benefit the AD more in the long run. But you can still make a solid hire in basketball and not take anything away from FB.

I'm guessing there are some donors willing to step up because of how bad this year has been, but Pollard has made it clear to them the department's first priority is giving Campbell and his staff the raises they deserve.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Then let’s do it. Of the names we hear, he and Craig Smith look like the best options (I don’t think Altman will leave Oregon to come here).
You want Pollard to pay a 10 million buyout to bring in a coach with a 5-32 conference record in his current spot?

• Agree
Reactions: ruflosn

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I don't advocate sacrificing basketball for football, but Pollard's #1 priority is keeping Matt Campbell happy. Continuing this run in football is going to benefit the AD more in the long run. But you can still make a solid hire in basketball and not take anything away from FB.

I'm guessing there are some donors willing to step up because of how bad this year has been, but Pollard has made it clear to them the department's first priority is giving Campbell and his staff the raises they deserve.
Football is THE cash cow. Keep it rolling.

• Winner
Reactions: Cyched

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
The more I learn about TJ the more concerned I am about his coaching ability. We know he'll bring in top talent but I'm concerned about his x's and o's.

That being said if it is TJ, have him bring in a coach like Phil Martelli at Michigan. Howard handles all the recruiting and team management, Martelli teaches. That combination would be a home run hire.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

mplueg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 27, 2009
if its not easy or realistic to turn around cyclone hoops in 2 years, why is TJ getting crushed for not doing it at UNLV?

much easier to sink a program in two years (Phrom) than it is to build a program.

whoever the next coach is we need to be realistic with expectations! If that happens sooner than later great!!! But, this is likely going to take some time and ultimately Cyclone fans (myself included) are not overly patient

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
actually fairly high..No negatives with Fred..NBA appeal to recruits..First coach to capitalize on transfer market..

all those things are now gone..accept you can add to the list:

Negative recruiting against him...leaving for NBA..Doesn’t like to recruit etc..He left isu before he will do it again soon..etc.

So yea..The chances this time around are far far less.
Lol. A guy with zero coaching experience. Some of you have terrible memories or are just ignorant.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
1. Hoiberg (only if what people are saying is true on him wanting back in, which I’m not buying). Also my Hoiball Sony PlayStation account will have meaning again
2. I literally have no idea
3. Davrais. Only because hiring an in state “rival” blew up in our faces the first time
A while ago now, but second time. Anybody remember Maury John? But that was more of a 'Boy what could have been', sad story, died of CA.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Lol. A guy with zero coaching experience. Some of you have terrible memories or are just ignorant.

03c.gif

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
The more I learn about TJ the more concerned I am about his coaching ability. We know he'll bring in top talent but I'm concerned about his x's and o's.

Someone brought up earlier that hiring TJ would be a 1 for 1 replacement for Prohm, and I’d have to agree. TJ would bring in talent like Prohm has, but coaching would be about the same.

That said, I’ll trust Pollard’s judgement. Even if that means Prohm stays on for next year. JP is the one who has quarterbacked this entire rise to prominence that the athletic department is enjoying, not anyone else on this board.