Coach Rutter

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Why was he not an assistant coach under Fred? Yes he was on the staff but in the Director of BB Operations role. Seems to be a good coach and had Drake playing well last night. Hope he gets that program doing well and lands of his feet somewhere.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
He was a staff member I think like director of basketball operations or something

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Break up the Bulldogs! Winners of four of their last six. Good for Coach Rutter. I hope he gets the job on a permanent basis.

They had a great interview with him on the Sports Fanatics Show yesterday. Coach Rutter really took the reigns and drove that conversation with Chris and Ross. He should be the next Head Coach at Drake - he seems like he could succeed in the Missouri Valley.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
They had a great interview with him on the Sports Fanatics Show yesterday. Coach Rutter really took the reigns and drove that conversation with Chris and Ross. He should be the next Head Coach at Drake - he seems like he could succeed in the Missouri Valley.

How do they not hire him as the permanent coach? Drake is one of the best "turn-around" stories of the entire college basketball world.

• Agree
Reactions: CycoCyclone

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

I think the interview was on Tuesday night, but yeah. It was good stuff. He came across as very personable and as far as finding someone to be the face of a program they could do much worse.

Clones8686

Jan 19, 2015
It's a long season, I anticipate he will continue to do well, but the sample size isn't high enough that I would pull the trigger quite yet. Will be interesting to see how he does when he goes against MVC teams for a second time. He also gives way too much playing time to Graham Woodward, who is quite frankly not very good at all, and that is very confusing because they have other options.

Clones8686

Jan 19, 2015
He was one of McDermott's guys, right?
He was and he was going to follow McDermott to Creighton but decided to stay in Ames so his kids could finish school. Perhaps the timing of all of that is how he ended up not being an official assistant under Hoiberg.

Lamoni

Jan 11, 2017
I think it is a testament to how good of a coach he is that Ray stepped down when he did to give Rutter a chance to be the head coach and show the country how good he is. Drake would be hard pressed not to keep him.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
He was and he was going to follow McDermott to Creighton but decided to stay in Ames so his kids could finish school. Perhaps the timing of all of that is how he ended up not being an official assistant under Hoiberg.

I'm pretty sure that Rutter was going to get demoted to Director of Basketball Ops had McDermott not left. I think demoted might be too strong...basically McDermott had to make some moves because things were bad after 5 years. So he hired Grayer to make the fans happy and Nick Nurse. Rutter got caught up in that. Then when McDermott got the Creighton job, I think Rutter could have followed him as a regular assistant. But he decided to stay with Fred as the Director of Ops.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I don't know much about Rutter but Drake gave a beatdown to Indiana State the other day. I was at the ISU-ISU game in Orlando and that was a scrappy Sycamores team, which also made some shots. In the last 2 minutes, I was sure they were going to beat the Clones. Good win for the Bulldogs.