Chubba Purdy

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
So you're saying that Oklahoma should have benched Baker Mayfield in "tune-up" games for Kyler Murray, to get him experience?
I like our QBs but Purdy is no Mayfield and Mitchell is certainly no Murray. And we aren't talking about benching your starter, we are talking about a few snaps.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
Anyone want to compare Mayfield and Purdy’s freshman numbers?

On break at work, or I’d poke around.

After being affected by injury and losing the starting job to fellow true freshman Davis Webb, Mayfield finished the season with 2,315 yards on 218-of-340 completions with 12 touchdowns and 9 interceptions.[14] (Wikipedia). This was also at Texas Tech rather than Oklahoma.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Anyone want to compare Mayfield and Purdy’s freshman numbers?

On break at work, or I’d poke around.
Purdy's freshman stats are better than Mayfield's. Higher completion % (by two points) higher TD to INT ratio, higher rating.

But why aren't we comparing junior Mayfield to freshman Purdy since the analogy was to benching Mayfield so Murray could get some snaps?

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Did Clemson play anyone other than Trevor Lawrence after game 2? How about Oklahoma, did they play anyone other than Kyler Murray? If you have a true #1 QB, you don't play anyone else just to keep them fresh and healthy. Yeah, we played 4 QBs this past year because #1, - Kempt got hurt. #2 - Purdy was better than Noland. #3 - trick plays. Hopefully, going forward, we get to use Purdy as an every down QB. Only thing that should change that would be injury, or winning games by so much that we can afford to play someone else.

Purdy is good, but he's not Trevor Lawrence or Kyler Murray.

I believe Lawrence got rocked a bit against Bama and had to sit out a play or so, didn't he? Regardless, it would be nice to have someone with a little experience available in that kind of situation with the game on the line.

We are still going to need to have more than one capable QB on the team, so I'm not in a hurry to change everyone's position or not recruit someone to compete in the future.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
Purdy's freshman stats are better than Mayfield's. Higher completion % (by two points) higher TD to INT ratio, higher rating.

But why aren't we comparing junior Mayfield to freshman Purdy since the analogy was to benching Mayfield so Murray could get some snaps?

Because I don't think you can compare the talent level that Mayfield had around him on that offense. Yeah, Purdy had 2 future draft picks last year, but how does that compare to a Heisman finalist in Dede Westbrook?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Because I don't think you can compare the talent level that Mayfield had around him on that offense. Yeah, Purdy had 2 future draft picks last year, but how does that compare to a Heisman finalist in Dede Westbrook?
Great, you win. Purdy will win the Heisman next year.

Look I don't hate on him, I think he is great and I hope he leads ISU into uncharted territory. But if Mitchell ends up the best back up ISU has next year, given ISU's history of never using just one QB in a season I would love to see Mitchell get at least a little time early against UNI or Louisiana-Monroe so he isn't wide-eyed in the second quarter against a ranked Big 12 team when he is thrust into action.

Also the talent level around Mayfield also applies on the offensive line. Behind that line Mayfield had a lower chance of getting blindsided and injured his senior year than Purdy does behind ISU's now. All the more reason to have a backup ready.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018

Look I don't hate on him, I think he is great and I hope he leads ISU into uncharted territory. But if Mitchell ends up the best back up ISU has next year, given ISU's history of never using just one QB in a season I would love to see Mitchell get at least a little time early against UNI or Louisiana-Monroe so he isn't wide-eyed in the second quarter against a ranked Big 12 team when he is thrust into action.

This type of scenario seemed to work pretty well for Purdy.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneVet

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
Well he is Baker Mayfield so there's that. Are you saying Mitchell is Baker Mayfield, too?

I'm just saying that Purdy getting thrust into a big 12 game in the middle of the season worked out pretty good for him, with no playing time prior.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008

Also the talent level around Mayfield also applies on the offensive line. Behind that line Mayfield had a lower chance of getting blindsided and injured his senior year than Purdy does behind ISU's now. All the more reason to have a backup ready.

I think Campbell really wanted to do that last year, problem was, we never had a game with a comfortable lead. Closest thing was a 10 point lead over Akron (and Purdy did get in). Campbell would love to clear the bench like Nebraska gets to 3 straight games to start the season, but we haven't had that luxury. Hopefully that changes this fall with UNI and ULM.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I'm just saying that Purdy getting thrust into a big 12 game in the middle of the season worked out pretty good for him, with no playing time prior.

Do you think that works out for a majority of the players Iowa State has on its roster? I do not. Purdy is quite unique in the history of Iowa State sports.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Your response works like this too.

Exactly. Specifically comparing Purdy to two Heisman winners and a future one with Lawrence is pretty tough as well.

Purdy actually has the talent, but Iowa State is not on the level of OU and Clemson as a program at this point.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
Exactly. Specifically comparing Purdy to two Heisman winners and a future one with Lawrence is pretty tough as well.

Purdy actually has the talent, but Iowa State is not on the level of OU and Clemson as a program at this point.

Lets compare to Martinez then? Is that a more fair comparison? (Nebraska). I know Scott Frost has another recruit behind him. Do you pull Martinez from any game you are still in not due to injury? I don't think so.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
Lets compare to Martinez then? Is that a more fair comparison? (Nebraska). I know Scott Frost has another recruit behind him. Do you pull Martinez from any game you are still in not due to injury? I don't think so.

Sorry that I used big name QB's. Can be tough to pull names outside of the big 12, since I haven't seen anything similar. Maybe Sam Ellingher for Texas? My only point is, if you have a sure fire #1 QB, you don't just pull him in the middle of a game (even against lower teams, unless game is out of hand).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron