Campustown Redevelopment

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Bingo. This is the type of area that needs to see high density.

My immediate thoughts go to the apartments that were built out in west Ames with retail on the bottom. The slew of buildings by perfect games and the basketball practice facility. I heard those were over developed and largely sat empty even before all this development started in Campustown. How are these buildings fairing now?

The empty commercial space on the ground floor was all converted into apartments. At one point there was talk of them being temporary/short-term apartments, whatever that means.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
The empty commercial space on the ground floor was all converted into apartments. At one point there was talk of them being temporary/short-term apartments, whatever that means.

Apartments you could rent for less then a year. I had a friend who rented one of these for a semester in the fall semester of 2010.

Reactions: clonefromNE

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
i'm admittedly a design snob when it comes to stuff like this and you are right-on. here is an example of something similar that, to me, is a much better situation with the traffic and icy conditions in winter. Down the street from my parents house in Saint Paul.

attachment.php

I like that. The important aspect is having storefronts visible close to the sidewalk, whether its retail or a restaurant.

TOFB4ISU

Nov 6, 2010
The QC
I hope so, but Only if the legislature gets in line with the BOR and has the money go with the students, particularly in-state students. Granted this requires HS level intelligence, a bit of common sense and small amount of courage to stop subsidizing suburban chicagoites getting poly sci and sociology degrees at UI. Don't hold your breath.
Enrollment will hit numbers like that only with foreign (Chinese) students

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
I posted this in another forum, but here is some info on the latest projects in Campustown:

Campustown facade grants will be awarded at the city council meeting next week. Two projects have applied and are recommended for approval. The east facade of the Jeff's pizza building will be updated to match the north side which was completed last summer. Also 116 Welch Ave which will be the new home of Arcadia Cafe will get significant facade enhancements/updates including cultured stone veneer and natural cedar siding, operable cafe style windows that open up (creating a physical connection from the street into the café), new lighting, awning, and blade signage. This will be a huge upgrade for this building both inside and out.

116 Welch Ave

Proposed:
attachment.php

Current:
attachment.php

Attachments

• GnFYjqH.png
    GnFYjqH.png
    785.1 KB · Views: 485
  • KUlviSF.png
    KUlviSF.png
    527.1 KB · Views: 486
Last edited:

sleestakCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 2, 2013
While Campustown is much better, more changes and upgrades still need to happen...

There are still virtually no places for adults to eat and drink in a nice environment after a game or while visiting kids...Cafe B, maybe Trio, Stomping Grounds; nothing else. We end up driving to Somerset, downtown, or other places. Lots of good fast places now like Pot Belly, Mr Burrito, West Street Deli, Fuzzys, etc. Need a few places like Iowa City has; Chophouse, Pullman, Clinton St Social Club, Sanctuary, etc.

Downtown Ames is actually looking pretty good now but also needs some more nice restaurants. Hopeful that downtown can attract some young people to live there which should help drive that development; see the Sheldon Munn apartments.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
On the new development side of things in campustown, here are the current renderings for 122 Hayward, looks like India Palace will be coming back in the new building with outdoor seating. As far as modern design goes I think its solid, like the mix of brick/colors and the amount of glazing.

attachment.php

Attachments

• h40QfcP.png
    h40QfcP.png
    446.5 KB · Views: 494

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
While Campustown is much better, more changes and upgrades still need to happen...

There are still virtually no places for adults to eat and drink in a nice environment after a game or while visiting kids...Cafe B, maybe Trio, Stomping Grounds; nothing else. We end up driving to Somerset, downtown, or other places. Lots of good fast places now like Pot Belly, Mr Burrito, West Street Deli, Fuzzys, etc. Need a few places like Iowa City has; Chophouse, Pullman, Clinton St Social Club, Sanctuary, etc.

Downtown Ames is actually looking pretty good now but also needs some more nice restaurants. Hopeful that downtown can attract some young people to live there which should help drive that development; see the Sheldon Munn apartments.

That's going to be hard. I lived in Ames for about 4 years after graduating, and there is essentially a gap in generations. You have college kinds, and then families, not much a young adult (mid-late 20's) crowd. You could live in Ames and work in Des Moines, but most people would just move closer to Des Moines.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
On the new development side of things in campustown, here are the current renderings for 122 Hayward, looks like India Palace will be coming back in the new building with outdoor seating. As far as modern design goes I think its solid, like the mix of brick/colors and the amount of glazing.

attachment.php

That looks great. Not sure about India Palace. Did they move somewhere else temporarily or just close altogether?

It does sound like there are some obstacles in front of this that will be hashed out at the City Council meeting tomorrow. Since they've already started demo on the old buildings I assume it shouldn't be a problem but you never know.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
That looks great. Not sure about India Palace. Did they move somewhere else temporarily or just close altogether?

It does sound like there are some obstacles in front of this that will be hashed out at the City Council meeting tomorrow. Since they've already started demo on the old buildings I assume it shouldn't be a problem but you never know.

Yea will be interesting to see what happens at the council meeting, hope they can move this project ahead. India Palace closed for the time being, but mentioned they might come back in the new building. The rendering shows space for them.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
i lived in a garage my last semester in ames. and i was grateful.

nothing better than bringing a girl back from the bar in November to a flat blowup mattress in a garage.

Wait, that was you?

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012

This x1000. Or even just places to eat in West-ish Ames in general. Living west of campus you have very limited options for food.

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
Apartments you could rent for less then a year. I had a friend who rented one of these for a semester in the fall semester of 2010.

I did this as well. At the time, those apartments (West Towne Apts, IIRC) were the only option in Ames for monthly leases. I didn't want to deal with the hassle of a sublease from either side of the arrangement, and knew I was leaving in December.

19clone91

Nov 21, 2013
Denver, CO
So far I am not very impressed with what the city council has approved so far, design-wise.

Ames is falling pray to what many suburbs do where they accept every proposal without question just to get as much built as possible without considering the long-term urban consequences.

I feel like most of these approved structures lack significant design standards and could be much better. Check out what they are building in Iowa City and you will see what I mean.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

There are a lot more than these too. Ames needs to pick up their game!

Attachments

• EP-141009725.jpg
    EP-141009725.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 732
  • courtlinnlofts.jpg
    courtlinnlofts.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 736
  • court-linnterraceoliveira.jpg
    court-linnterraceoliveira.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 729
  • linncourt-shermanassociatesproposal.jpg
    linncourt-shermanassociatesproposal.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 733

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
So far I am not very impressed with what the city council has approved so far, design-wise.

Ames is falling pray to what many suburbs do where they accept every proposal without question just to get as much built as possible without considering the long-term urban consequences.

I feel like most of these approved structures lack significant design standards and could be much better. Check out what they are building in Iowa City and you will see what I mean.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

There are a lot more than these too. Ames needs to pick up their game!
Another way to look at that is some of those may become outdated more. Specifically the third one.