Campustown Redevelopment

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
I’m surprised something hasn’t happened on the Kum & Go properties yet. I get the city not wanting a larger gas station there because they want it to be a more bike and ped friendly area. However, the current small station will be there in perpetuity anyway. Hopefully they can work out a deal with K&G to maybe limit the number of pumps in the new station along with a more urban design, and maybe limiting egress/ingress into the site for safety. Then as part of the agreement K&G would demolish the old store and sell it for redevelopment. Otherwise I feel like K&G will just demolish the old buildings and continue to hold the properties (paying little in property tax)

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
I’m surprised something hasn’t happened on the Kum & Go properties yet. I get the city not wanting a larger gas station there because they want it to be a more bike and ped friendly area. However, the current small station will be there in perpetuity anyway. Hopefully they can work out a deal with K&G to maybe limit the number of pumps in the new station along with a more urban design, and maybe limiting egress/ingress into the site for safety. Then as part of the agreement K&G would demolish the old store and sell it for redevelopment. Otherwise I feel like K&G will just demolish the old buildings and continue to hold the properties (paying little in property tax)

For all the changes in campustown this has been the one constant that i can’t believe has never changed. They’re been rumblings of doing something with that k&g since i was in college 2009-2013

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
The original el Azteca is putting up a new building directly east of the Dayton/S 16th Kum and Go. Really smart move for them with another two hotels being built within walking distance. I’m sure they have outgrown the kitchen in the old one. Place is packed during the lunch rush most days.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I know the DOT has let the first part of the Grand Avenue extension (the 5th Street extension) and plans on letting the second phase (I assume it'll be the actual bridge over Squaw Creek and maybe some work on 16th Street) in the next month or two, so I think that is a done deal.

Looks like the just awarded the 5th street extension contract last week and construction will start next spring.

http://amesgisweb.city.ames.ia.us/amesconstruction/

Reactions: BigCyFan

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
So is anything going to happen with the old Capone’s area along Lincoln way in campus town? Looks like a war zone. Or worse, Detroit.
No kidding my wife and I were down there the one weekend and strolled by. Good lord what a sore site

Jammin’

Jul 18, 2009
Ames-Mia-Atx
Quick Campustown update for those interested, just checked out a new Campustown Cafe that opened up a little while ago or sounds like.

Clouds Cafe, an European inspired Cafe on the top two floors of The Legacy Tower, was pretty cool. Former Legends restaurant spot.

Sounds like it’s a soft opening for now with more options coming in the future.

Didn’t eat anything, just had a quick coffee in the upper loft area. Pretty laid back vibe with a cool aerial view of campus.

https://www.cloudsames.com/

• Informative
Reactions: discydisc

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Quick Campustown update for those interested, just checked out a new Campustown Cafe that opened up a little while ago or sounds like.

Clouds Cafe, an European inspired Cafe on the top two floors of The Legacy Tower, was pretty cool. Former Legends restaurant spot.

Sounds like it’s a soft opening for now with more options coming in the future.

Didn’t eat anything, just had a quick coffee in the upper loft area. Pretty laid back vibe with a cool aerial view of campus.

https://www.cloudsames.com/
Is it the whole space? Man, I would think the rent on that would be insane and you'd need to sell A LOT of coffee.

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
Is it the whole space? Man, I would think the rent on that would be insane and you'd need to sell A LOT of coffee.
I don't know how they expect to operate 8-8, seems like you would lose out on a decent amount of people that are already at work by 8.

• Agree
Reactions: hlb76

Jammin’

Jul 18, 2009
Ames-Mia-Atx

Not sure on the entire space it rents. The place has two stories/levels with that loft included in that two levels.

I hear ya though on rent, hopefully they have some kind of flexible rent deal. Not sure what has been up there since Legends to be honest.

It’s such a unique location/view so I’ll be rooting for it. Glad there’s something up there anyway.