Buffalo Bills Damar Hamlin

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
God Bless all those Docs, Nurses, First responders, etc...
You cannot put a price on saving another human's life.
This is turning out about as good as you can hope for.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
I could see this really galvanizing the Bills and motivating them. They could be really, really tough to beat.
Since my team (Bears) already achieved everything I was hoping for this year (finding new and interesting ways to disappoint me) and are in position to have the best possible outcome from this season (getting the #1 or #2 pick in the draft), I've been weighing my options for who to pull for in the playoffs. The 49ers are clearly "my" team in the NFC, and I'm probably going to pull for the Bills in the AFC.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I agree with you and would add that thousands of first responders create miracles every day. I'm not taking anything at all away from what you're saying about this group, but pointing out the amazing work done is by these individuals day in and day out across the country.

I've been First Aid/CPR/AED certified for 15+ years. Two years ago I actually watched an incident unfold in front of me at a musical. It wasn't that I didn't know what to do, but knowing when to start doing it is complicated. There was a surgeon there, and in hindsight I trusted her to know what to do but she was clearly out of her element. There was a police officer on the scene almost immediately after the 911 call and he absolutely took command. I helped him get the guy onto the floor and the officer started CPR. I offered to take over when he needed a break, fortunately medical help arrived very quickly. Watching that team call out instructions, seeing them digging through kits with packaging flying everywhere; everyone with a job to do. It's an incredibly intense scene. Very well organized chaos. They got him stabilized enough to move him to the stretcher and to the ambulance. I remember the complete vacuum of silence when all of the activity was suddenly gone out the door leaving only room full of shocked bystanders. The only sounds we're the two first responders gathering up the boxes and packaging from all the materials scattered around the aid kits. I know the individual ended up passing away a few days later, but the advanced life saving efforts allowed his family a chance to see him and say goodbye.

These are incredibly hard jobs to do. Now that I've seen it I'm even more grateful for the people that sign up to walk into that situation everyday knowing that they will lose more than they win. Always happy to see these wins celebrated for their sake and sanity.
I am terrified that someday I may actually have to try and put CPR training to the test. What really got me during my first training was when our instructor said that if any of us do have to use it the most likely scenario is you will be doing it on a family member, so keep that in your mind while you take the course. That really struck me. Imagining doing it on my father or one of my children really brought an edge to the training. It also really scares the **** out of me. First responders are incredible and real world heroes.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I am terrified that someday I may actually have to try and put CPR training to the test. What really got me during my first training was when our instructor said that if any of us do have to use it the most likely scenario is you will be doing it on a family member, so keep that in your mind while you take the course. That really struck me. Imagining doing it on my father or one of my children really brought an edge to the training. It also really scares the **** out of me. First responders are incredible and real world heroes.
What drove me to become an EMT was an aging mother (was 40 when I was born) and having kids. I wanted someone in the family to have some basic information. Knowing the wife would not, I figured it was up to me.

Reactions: NWICY

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
That is amazing news. As great as the safety equipment is these days, the advancement in medicine as been equally as important in making the game 'safer'. Not long ago, he would have been declared dead with no chance to save him. Now, less than a week later, he's breathing on his own and is recovering.

I marvel at medical achievement. I had a kidney stone that needed to be surgically removed and appendectomy 2 weeks apart a few years back. It got me to thinking that only
in the last 150 or so years they would have been able to do the procedures to help me. And these are relatively simple procedures

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
What drove me to become an EMT was an aging mother (was 40 when I was born) and having kids. I wanted someone in the family to have some basic information. Knowing the wife would not, I figured it was up to me.
Good for you! Are you part of a voluntary program or do you make a living as an EMT?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Good for you! Are you part of a voluntary program or do you make a living as an EMT?
I Was. A mixed service. We were so busy that we ended up hiring full time medics. Spent 15 years plus running and just tired out. First solo run was a motorcycle accident.

Bad part is, I can tell you how bad something is in ER by watching the flow from the waiting room. When my FIL had a heart attack, I knew he wasn’t viable by watching who entered and exited and how while sitting in the waiting area.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I Was. A mixed service. We were so busy that we ended up hiring full time medics. Spent 15 years plus running and just tired out. First solo run was a motorcycle accident.

Bad part is, I can tell you how bad something is in ER by watching the flow from the waiting room. When my FIL had a heart attack, I knew he wasn’t viable by watching who entered and exited and how while sitting in the waiting area.
Well thanks for your time of service as an EMT. I'm not cut out for that line of work and I really appreciate those that step up and do it.

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
So awesome.
What is wild to me is as he gets fully back (not sedated, etc) and will see the film of the scene, the real time and immediate after response, his teammates....just wild.....for him to try to comprehend (because i'm sure at first he would only remember the game and then the "fog" of being in the hospital etc (think that feeling if you've had surgery, etc).

This is remarkable.

Now, I will be ANNOYED if the "round two" of talking heads/twitter takes "should have they even cancelled the game?" "what about the playoffs now" blah blah....but that is always expected in our new world of "everyone needs to comment."
Wait until they tell him how his charity has been doing this week...

Stumper

Jun 19, 2020
Hoping you never have to but if you are ever in that situation, you'll most likely just react then dwell on it later. I haven't had to do CPR on a family member but used an AED once that helped revive an individual. It was a great feeling after the EMTs took over even though the long term prognosis was grim. At least the family was able to say goodbye.

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
He'll never believe that number. That was wild the way that took off.
There have been a lot of things that have come out of this. Outrage at the handling by the NFL, the Skip Bayless Tweet, a lot of people learning about heart trauma and high level first response, etc. The most amazing thing is people showing their concern by supporting that charity. The hardest moment of Damar's life is going to give him a chance to impact a lot of other lives with that money, whether he ever suits up for the Bills again or not. Hell, if he never walks again that money will change lives in his name.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Wait until they tell him how his charity has been doing this week...

What's awesome (likely) is I saw the NFL has already said they are covering the bills (as i saw the GoFundme was also going to him/his family) and likely given the amount he will be able to establish/endow a program that will last (or be bigger than he ever imagined).

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
There have been a lot of things that have come out of this. Outrage at the handling by the NFL, the Skip Bayless Tweet, a lot of people learning about heart trauma and high level first response, etc. The most amazing thing is people showing their concern by supporting that charity. The hardest moment of Damar's life is going to give him a chance to impact a lot of other lives with that money, whether he ever suits up for the Bills again or not. Hell, if he never walks again that money will change lives in his name.

Exactly. His org/foundation will sustain help people MANY years beyond his playing days.

As you mentioned above, i would bet money a lot more people will take classes on CPR, understand where defibs are located, and we will start hearing stories of other lives saved based on this story....and the best part, he will be around to see/hear it all!

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
I'm not sure I find much fault with how the NFL handled this. The game was officially suspended for the night at 10:05 (about 70 minutes after the injury). I'd put money down that the decision was made before 9:30 when the players started heading back to their locker rooms. Considering that was ~15 minutes after the ambulance left the field and all the conversations up and down the chain of command that needed to take place, it sure doesn't seem like there was a lot of back and forth.

If there was any pushback from the league, that would change my opinion. At worst, I'd imagine they went to the coaches/teams and asked what they wanted to do, then did just that.

The only reason it wasn't announced until a little after 10pm was likely just to let the stadium staff get set up for traffic going out.

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
I'm not sure I find much fault with how the NFL handled this. The game was officially suspended for the night at 10:05 (about 70 minutes after the injury). I'd put money down that the decision was made before 9:30 when the players started heading back to their locker rooms. Considering that was ~15 minutes after the ambulance left the field and all the conversations up and down the chain of command that needed to take place, it sure doesn't seem like there was a lot of back and forth.

If there was any pushback from the league, that would change my opinion. At worst, I'd imagine they went to the coaches/teams and asked what they wanted to do, then did just that.

The only reason it wasn't announced until a little after 10pm was likely just to let the stadium staff get set up for traffic going out.
I agree with you. It's a damned if you do, etc. type of situation. I also recognize that while the fundamental idea that life>game is a point most people with a conscience see and accept very quickly, the NFL is a big ship with a lot of momentum to try to redirect quickly when reacting to an unexpectedly massive upset condition. There are SO many people involved in putting on a single NFL game, to your point about the exit staff. Those lines of communication aren't built to move at the speed the questions on Twitter were demanding. There would have been no way to be in front of it enough to satisfy everyone. On top of that, the NFL keeping things in a holding pattern until they were ready to pick a direction did not have any impact on the level of care Damar was receiving. Everything was secondary to that, including getting to a decision point about the rest of the game. Even if it was just notifying of the intent to follow a certain protocol the people giving and receiving those notifications were shocked bystanders like the rest of us trying make sense of what was unfolding.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.

I agree. The NFL had a plan in place that saved this guy's life. Not sure what else people want.

Reactions: NWICY

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle

I also think the NFL was probably just trying to make sure he was still alive and in somewhat stable (albeit critical) condition when they released their official statement. It was what, 40 minutes after the ambulance left the field? It probably took them 20 or so minutes to get an update from the hospital.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
One thing to note is that the ambulance waited quite a while to leave because it was waiting for Damar's mother to ride with. Even though it is an emergency vehicle, probably don't want to have to deal with navigating people and traffic due to fans leaving the stadium.

Reactions: isutrevman

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron