Bud Light likes Iowa State?

A-town Cy

Aug 4, 2006
Huxley
Iowa State dislikes Bud Light

If ISU did have those pulled, they are flat going overboard. BL is doing this for all kinds of teams. And ISU throws a fit about it? I went to Wal-Mart yesterday to pick up a few things and they had a cool I-State BL banner hanging above the beer cooler. Man, I'd love to have that when they're done with it to put behind a basement bar. Anyway, I walk over to the cooler and there's not a single BL can in it. I figured that they were sold out. Nope, the ISU nazi's took them.

That I-State banner is pretty sweet. And WOW, change the title to Iowa State dislikes Bud Light.

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
Anyway, I walk over to the cooler and there's not a single BL can in it. I figured that they were sold out. Nope, the ISU nazi's took them.
Did you ask an employee and confirm that "ISU nazis took them"? I still can't imagine what possible authority ISU Marketing has over a private business that isn't infringing on any trademarks or copyrighted material. I know most of Marketing; if people are indeed being told that ISU officially objected and ordered them removed (which they can't do), then I'll call over to Marketing tomorrow and talk to somebody and see if I can't figure out what's going on.

CRCy17

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Chicago, IL
Ok so here is my conspiracy theory: ISU did take them, to give away to fans for free Sept 3! :wink:

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Did you ask an employee and confirm that "ISU nazis took them"? I still can't imagine what possible authority ISU Marketing has over a private business that isn't infringing on any trademarks or copyrighted material. I know most of Marketing; if people are indeed being told that ISU officially objected and ordered them removed (which they can't do), then I'll call over to Marketing tomorrow and talk to somebody and see if I can't figure out what's going on.

It wouldn't be Marketing. It would be Licensing.

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
It wouldn't be Marketing. It would be Licensing.
Same department, but you're correct. Licensing is the office I'd be calling, in 1350 Beardshear. If I remember correctly, Marketing's office is upstairs in 2730 or 2750. I simply use 'Marketing' as a catch-all term for them, since nobody knows the difference.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
Actually, it's not part of the ISU Marketing Dept., which is directed by Carole Custer. Below is the contact information for ISU Trademark Licensing:

Iowa State University Trademark Licensing Office 1350 Beardshear Hall Ames, IA 50011-2038

Telephone: 515-294-4402 Fax: 515-294-8926 Email: [email protected] Web: http://www.trademark.iastate.edu

thisISnextyear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Ames
So at the Super Wal-Mart in Ames today they only had the black and gold. Please tell me they were "sold out" of the cardinal and gold because if not, the black and gold will be all over and that is not cool...

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
So at the Super Wal-Mart in Ames today they only had the black and gold. Please tell me they were "sold out" of the cardinal and gold because if not, the black and gold will be all over and that is not cool...
To be honest, I don't see how ISU has a leg in this to stand on. I kinda want to see if orny finds anything out.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
You forgot to include a subject in your first sentence. Just saving you the embarrassment.

Nope pretty sure you forgot cyclonefanatic isnt english class

ya you can go through my post and edit as needed

Last edited by a moderator:

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
Yep, already had all that, thanks. Anything else you'd like to aimlessly nitpick?

I didn't mean for my comments to sound like aimless nitpicking. You stated in your previous post that Marketing and Licensing were in the same department. I was merely pointing out that they are in different departments because I didn't think people on this board should be directing their complaints to Marketing - they have nothing to do with it.

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
FWIW, I went out on a fact-finding mission in Iowa City today. I stopped at three HyVees (1st Avenue, Waterfront, and Coralville), the 1st Ave/Court Walgreens, the HyVee Drugstore on Rochester, Dan's Short Stop (next to Regina), and the Hwy 1 WalMart. At every place, I went in and looked for any Bud Light Team Spirit packages or ads (either cardinal and gold or black and yellow). If I didn't find any on the floor or in the beer cooler, I asked the cashiers if they knew when they would be getting some in. None of the stores had anything at all. Not a single person I asked even knew anything about it, including department managers at two of the HyVees.

These must be working through the distribution chain MUCH slower than I thought. Does anyone know where the distributors are for the Iowa City area? Does everything come through Des Moines first? That could explain why DM has tons and Ames has some, but Iowa City doesn't have any.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
i work stock at the Dahl's on 156th and Hickman in clive. We have about 15 cases of the ISU colors and probably about 60 of the hawk ones, but none are on display or in the cooler. All of them are in back, not sure what the reasoning is. Pulled a few strings though and managed to get one case for me and one for my dad. If you go there and ask, im sure they will gladly sell them too you. yesterday there was a lady who came in and bought 3 of them.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Gee, I have a red truck. Is the ISU mkt going to send some henchmen to my house demanding that I not drive it?

Gotta love the Grain Belt Premium. I saw a guy carrying a 12 pack last fall tailgating. I gave him some food for a beer. Hmmmmm....

Pretty sure that was me. I had Grain Belt at every game and dont go without having some in the fridge.

chicagoCy

Mar 25, 2006
going to be in ames for a wedding this weekend and thinking about picking some up. is there a price premium due to the can or are they priced normally for BL? if they're double the price (like the cubs aluminum bottles are here) i'll pass. thanks in advance

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron