Bud Light likes Iowa State?

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
I agree that IF it's true about ISU demanding the cans be pulled, that is stupid.

But did you really need to post the ISU/USC pictures? I think we're all aware of the similarity by now...

I dont see why isu would want/able to have these pulled. The same cans are going to be sold around any other colleges that are gold and cardinal colors, like USC.

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
Just went to get some of the "ISU" can and they have all been pulled said bud light dude I talked to. He said ISU wasnt getting paid so they demanded them gone. Seems odd no logo was on them.
I call BS. If that is indeed the case, there's no way that lasts for very long. ISU has absolutely zero control over the private business sector, and Anheuser-Busch obviously isn't putting any trademarked stuff on any of these cans. Like has been mentioned, this is a full product line across the country. Just google "Team Pride" and watch the results flow forth.

From LSU's campus paper:

The Daily Reveille said:
Lisa Lundy, mass communication assistant professor, said in an e-mail to The Daily Reveille that the competition for products such as beer is so high that companies are seeking ways to differentiate their products.

“Mockler Beverage (the local distributor) is trying to strengthen brand loyalty for Bud Light among LSU supporters,†Lundy said. “This seems like a savvy way to do that. I imagine they are hoping when LSU fans fill up their cooler at the supermarket on the way to tailgate, they’ll choose Bud Light over its competitors because of the LSU tie.â€

But these cans are not officially affiliated with the University.

“My understanding of the program is that it’s a corporate campaign and the local distributors can sell the cans they want,†said Brian Hommel, director of Trademark Licensing. “Just because it’s purple and gold does not mean it’s approved by LSU. We didn’t sell [trademark] rights, we didn’t get money.â€

Hommel said Anheuser-Busch is coming out with a variety of color schemes that appeal to a wide range of fans.

“To my knowledge, they have about 24 different color schemes they’re doing,†Hommel said. “They’re calling it Team Pride. They’re not calling it an LSU can. Places where the color schemes are popular, they’ll sell the cans. This is not just LSU.â€

Hommel said his department and the Collegiate Licensing Company are monitoring the situation for infringement issues.

Daily Reveille - New purple and gold Bud Light cans set for fall

Broodwich

Nov 22, 2006
42.186391, -93.598597
We're all over that for the first game! I don't usually drink BL, but tailgates are a different matter. Microbrews get a little too heavy (and expensive) for a long day of drinking.

Look no further, it's even aptly hued:

premium_h.jpg

everyyard

Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
I agree that IF it's true about ISU demanding the cans be pulled, that is stupid.

But did you really need to post the ISU/USC pictures? I think we're all aware of the similarity by now...

and our uniforms don't look anything like they did in the late 70's do they? people need to get over this USC thing. the hawks aren't ******** about looking like the steelers and they admit to copying them. all we did was update uni's from our past and geez, you'd think we tore down the campanile.

Broodwich

Nov 22, 2006
42.186391, -93.598597
A great "lawnmower beer", IMO! And you're supporting an American company when you buy it too...

You're supporting a UPPER MIDWESTERN company that is a mere 3 hours away from Ames. It's the only lager I will tailgate with. It's tasty and American. Buy it in cans at Cyclone Liquors & show your school colors with a regional company that needs your business.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Gee, I have a red truck. Is the ISU mkt going to send some henchmen to my house demanding that I not drive it?

Gotta love the Grain Belt Premium. I saw a guy carrying a 12 pack last fall tailgating. I gave him some food for a beer. Hmmmmm....

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
and our uniforms don't look anything like they did in the late 70's do they? people need to get over this USC thing. the hawks aren't ******** about looking like the steelers and they admit to copying them. all we did was update uni's from our past and geez, you'd think we tore down the campanile.

Maybe my point was blurred by posting the pictures, I don't dislike our current jerseys. I was just trying to illustrate the hypocrisy of the whole thing. That said, it sounds like it is probably a non-issue and we can all happily buy our cardinal and gold cans on September 3rd.

Tweedt4Cy

Apr 14, 2007
Ankeny
I work at Kum and Go in ankeny and we r all ISU fans except for 2 of the women there. My boss is a huge fan and when bud came in and brought those my boss said she didnt want any hawkeye ones so she got 65 cases of ISU ones. lol. Shes the best boss ever!!

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
I work at Kum and Go in ankeny and we r all ISU fans except for 2 of the women there. My boss is a huge fan and when bud came in and brought those my boss said she didnt want any hawkeye ones so she got 65 cases of ISU ones. lol. Shes the best boss ever!!

Rep for your boss

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
I'm not a huge fan of Bud Light, but if it comes in a cardinal and gold can, fine, so be it. As soon as I get back to Ames, I'm gonna go buy a ridiculous amount of it and bring it out everytime it's called for- tailgates, parties, trips back home to Iowa City, whatever.

CRCy17

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Chicago, IL
Gotta love the Grain Belt Premium. I saw a guy carrying a 12 pack last fall tailgating. I gave him some food for a beer. Hmmmmm....

So what youre saying is that if I get myself some of this grainbelt premium and walk around to find you sept 3, i'll get some free food? :jimlad:

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
If ISU did have those pulled, they are flat going overboard. BL is doing this for all kinds of teams. And ISU throws a fit about it? I went to Wal-Mart yesterday to pick up a few things and they had a cool I-State BL banner hanging above the beer cooler. Man, I'd love to have that when they're done with it to put behind a basement bar. Anyway, I walk over to the cooler and there's not a single BL can in it. I figured that they were sold out. Nope, the ISU nazi's took them.