Bracket Discussion

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Anybody that gets to 9-11 in the Big Ten is in for sure. Just how the system works.

I'd imagine they end up with 9 (Purdue, Rutgers, NW, Michigan State, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Penn State, Iowa).

That feels like 3 or 4 too many but that B1G patch on the front of the jersey seems to change the criteria.

Still more than a month away, so who knows what can happen. Big Ten looks like it's going to be a lot of muddling/interchanging roughly with #5 thru #10.

I agree with your estimate of 9 teams ... but I'd have Maryland instead of U-M to get the main 7 ... then two of Michigan/Penn State/Ohio/Wisconsin.

Edit: Wouldn't even be surprised w/ only 8 of BiG, depends on how much the bubble-area teams chase their tails. If BiG does get 10, it'll be glut of 11 seed/First Four, the way it's looking.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
"Protected home" in first weekend subregions, I don't think is an official part of bracketing procedure. So it could happen, according to bracketing procedure.

No mention of second-round protection (where a 3/6 would happen). Just first round.

"To recognize the demonstrated quality of such teams, the committee shall not place teams seeded on the first four lines at a potential “home-crowd disadvantage” in the first round."

Last edited:
Reactions: cyclones500

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
No mention of second-round protection (where a 3/6 would happen). Just first round.

"To recognize the demonstrated quality of such teams, the committee shall not place teams seeded on the first four lines at a potential “home-crowd disadvantage” in the first round."

Ah, that one I didn't dig deeply enough. Thanks!

I recall at least one 6 v 3 when 6 was placed more close to site than 3 .... don't ask me which season, probably at least 10 years ago, and I'm sure bracketing guidelines have changed since then. (even that one wasn't an annual rivalry-type situation).

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Anybody that gets to 9-11 in the Big Ten is in for sure. Just how the system works.

I'd imagine they end up with 9 (Purdue, Rutgers, NW, Michigan State, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Penn State, Iowa).

That feels like 3 or 4 too many but that B1G patch on the front of the jersey seems to change the criteria.
Don't think that's true. Most would but you think if Michigan finishing 9-11 in the league and 15-16 overall gets in? I say no. They are also 83rd in the NET. No chance they'd get in.

benman82

Nov 17, 2009
According to the Net and strict adherence to rank + closest distance, we're now behind Marquette and Baylor for Des Moines. However, they're both within 25 miles of their next closest site after Des Moines, so I'd bet they get moved so that ISU gets Des Moines.

Marquette 308 to DSM / 332 to Columbus
Baylor 981 to Columbus / 1002 to Orlando

1675443363989.png

NiceMarmot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2017
I posted this last year around this time and figured I'd do so again this year.

Background, I've been doing bracketology off and on since 2014. Currently ranked 31st on Bracket Matrix. I've officially got my first bracket projection up for this year. If interested, here's a link to Google Sheets where I'm posting my bracket updates which can be found at the Bracket Matrix as well. Currently doing updates on Monday and Friday mornings.

Whether or not you look at bracket is whatever, but I do think a lot of people here would find value in the "Resumes" tab I have in the above Google Sheets link (see screenshot below). I think people tend to lose sight where ISU ranks compared to other teams both after a big win or a loss, so in this tab, you can easily sort/filter each school's data/metrics/resumes however you would like. Being able to sort by Q1 wins, Q1+Q2 wins, resume metrics (SOR/KPI), or predictive metrics (BPI, Kenpom, Sagarin) and see the data all in one place can be super useful. I also like being able to filter to a set amount of teams to compare who ISU is competing against for seeding on those 2, 3, 4 lines and for placement in Des Moines.

1675721261676.png

If you want to have a handful of more reliable bracketologists' links that aren't Lunardi or Palm at your disposal, here's the "best in industry" that I like to check in on.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
I used to like Andy Katz, but this order is stupid. Iowa at #14 ahead of Kansas and K. State? Ahead of Virginia, Gonzaga and Xavier too? And Indiana at #8, Maryland #12 and Rutgers at #16? Overrate the B1G much? He has five in top 16 while NET has one in top 18.

1675732159933.png

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I used to like Andy Katz, but this order is stupid. Iowa at #14 ahead of Kansas and K. State? Ahead of Virginia, Gonzaga and Xavier too? And Indiana at #8, Maryland #12 and Rutgers at #16? Overrate the B1G much? He has five in top 16 while NET has one in top 18.

View attachment 109346
Look at who he works for. There’s a reason his looks like this.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines

View attachment 109346
Maryland is 12th? Is that a joke or he's just trying to troll the rest of college basketball?

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010

View attachment 109346
Seems like Katz is consistently an Iowa basketball homer for whatever reason

benman82

Nov 17, 2009

Background, I've been doing bracketology off and on since 2014. Currently ranked 31st on Bracket Matrix. I've officially got my first bracket projection up for this year. If interested, here's a link to Google Sheets where I'm posting my bracket updates which can be found at the Bracket Matrix as well. Currently doing updates on Monday and Friday mornings.

Whether or not you look at bracket is whatever, but I do think a lot of people here would find value in the "Resumes" tab I have in the above Google Sheets link (see screenshot below). I think people tend to lose sight where ISU ranks compared to other teams both after a big win or a loss, so in this tab, you can easily sort/filter each school's data/metrics/resumes however you would like. Being able to sort by Q1 wins, Q1+Q2 wins, resume metrics (SOR/KPI), or predictive metrics (BPI, Kenpom, Sagarin) and see the data all in one place can be super useful. I also like being able to filter to a set amount of teams to compare who ISU is competing against for seeding on those 2, 3, 4 lines and for placement in Des Moines.

View attachment 109336

If you want to have a handful of more reliable bracketologists' links that aren't Lunardi or Palm at your disposal, here's the "best in industry" that I like to check in on.
That's pretty nice, you might appreciate this website I'm working on to predict the host sites. I'd like to pull in kenpom but I'm blocked from scraping his site. How are you pulling in all your info?

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
That's pretty nice, you might appreciate this website I'm working on to predict the host sites. I'd like to pull in kenpom but I'm blocked from scraping his site. How are you pulling in all your info?

Yeah, I don't see St. Mary's hanging onto a #2 seed so if they drop below ISU, that means Gonzaga slides into Sactown and ISU into Des Moines.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017

I know it's an ESPN+ article, so if you don't have a subscription you won't be able to read it. But this is one of my favorite articles ESPN does each year. Seeing them move teams from "Work to Do" to "Should Be In" to "Lock" is fun week to week.

Sharing this first edition of it because our Cyclones are already in the "Lock" category, which is absolutely insane this early. Pretty cool considering where we all were at the start of the season just hoping we can find out way in.

Reactions: cyclones500

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
My intuition is telling me that we're going to run across Perdue at some point in the tourney, and I cant wait to see it happen.

I'm just posting this prediction so when I'm right I can net 100 likes, because likes are why I get up in the morning.

:jimlad: about the likes. But dead serious about seeing Perdue in the NCAAs.

Reactions: nrg4isu

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

I know it's an ESPN+ article, so if you don't have a subscription you won't be able to read it. But this is one of my favorite articles ESPN does each year. Seeing them move teams from "Work to Do" to "Should Be In" to "Lock" is fun week to week.

Sharing this first edition of it because our Cyclones are already in the "Lock" category, which is absolutely insane this early. Pretty cool considering where we all were at the start of the season just hoping we can find out way in.
I figured bracket watch features would begin to appear soon. Thanks for notifying. It's one of my favorite annual features from ESPN. I think last season was first time it was premium content. (If you have E+ stream package you can access it).

I did a quick read. I wonder if Arizona State was inadvertently omitted in Pac-12 list. Not a dazzling NET profile, but should be at least "work to do" range.

Reactions: jctisu

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az

View attachment 109336

HeatCheck has us v Iowa in the second round. No thank you.

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
Gotta watch Arkansas too, especially if Nick Smith comes back healthy. Des Moines is their second closest and Birmingham looks like it will be full.
True best case scenario I think you have to hope KU falls enough that they go to Denver. If KU is in Des Moines, it does make a person wonder whether a Denver placement for us isn’t about a wash. Also, I suppose Des Moines would prefer we not be here…for hotel and restaurant revenue purposes. Do the host sites get any input? Or does the committee give any consideration to wanting to help the host sites make money?

cycart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2012
Johnston, IA
Is the mid season bracket reveal still a thing? I kept thinking it’s usually late January, but never saw anything

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron