Bracket Discussion

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

EnkAMania

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 31, 2013
Seattle
It is odd. They do have a combined 6-7 record in Quad 1 adn Quad 2, so that might slide them above some of the teams ahead of them. About the only thing I could think of.
Palm is the 125th rated bracketologist, so no surprise he is making such an ignorant pick.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
I really need someone to explain to me how any 'expert' has Wisconsin anything higher than a play in game at this point. Palm has them an 8 seed. Lunardi at least has them as the last team in.

NET is 70
KenPom is 69
BartTorvik is 78

They are 12-7 overall and 4-5 in the Big Ten and are damn lucky they beat PSU by 3 or they'd be on a six game losing streak.

There is no way a team like that should be sniffing the bracket...let alone an EIGHT seed?!

I personally don't believe Wisconsin will make the tournament. Or Ohio State.

The top 6 in the Big Ten feel relatively safe to me. Maryland, Penn State, and Iowa will be right on the cut line. If I had to guess, Penn State and Iowa make it. Maryland, Wisconsin, and Ohio State do not.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis

The top 6 in the Big Ten feel relatively safe to me. Maryland, Penn State, and Iowa will be right on the cut line. If I had to guess, Penn State and Iowa make it. Maryland, Wisconsin, and Ohio State do not.
Anyone that hits .500 in that league will probably have a chance though some shouldn’t. Iowa has four tough road games remaining. Assume they lose those that’s 9 losses in league. That means they really can’t lose more than one home game. This three game home stretch could make or break it for them. All winnable but all could be losses.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Anybody that gets to 9-11 in the Big Ten is in for sure. Just how the system works.

I'd imagine they end up with 9 (Purdue, Rutgers, NW, Michigan State, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Penn State, Iowa).

That feels like 3 or 4 too many but that B1G patch on the front of the jersey seems to change the criteria.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Anybody that gets to 9-11 in the Big Ten is in for sure. Just how the system works.

I'd imagine they end up with 9 (Purdue, Rutgers, NW, Michigan State, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Penn State, Iowa).

That feels like 3 or 4 too many but that B1G patch on the front of the jersey seems to change the criteria.

Yeah, no. Hopefully we get to put this theory to the test.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Yeah, no. Hopefully we get to put this theory to the test.
I sure hope not but I'm so cynical when it comes to how this system seems to work.

Everyone with a brain can see what the Big Ten really is except for the east coast media and the people making the decisions.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

Ohio State makes zero sense in the NET. They must have been playing like every top team in each quad and have some crazy margins.
2-7 in Quad 1, 3-1 in Quad 2, and a Quad 4 loss. They are 27th.

Illinois is 1 spot below OSU and they are 3-4 in Q1 and have no Q3 or 4 losses.

Mizzou is 53rd: 2-5 in Quad 1, 3-0 in Quad 2 and undefeated in Q3 and 4 games.

Ohio State seems to be that crap team that somehow is teflon. I see KP has them at 20. Looks like strong SOS and yep, good margin of victory, I mean efficiency keeping them afloat.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007

Hoping the Mountain West snags a couple of those bids this year. Not thinking they'll do better, but a lot of bubble teams with similar resumes out west.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Hoping the Mountain West snags a couple of those bids this year. Not thinking they'll do better, but a lot of bubble teams with similar resumes out west.

The MWC should get 4, maybe 5. Really good year for that league.

I believe I read somewhere the MWC is actually rated above the ACC this year. They won't say that out loud on ESPN though.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Wisconsin is a total joke, the only reason they should even be considered in the play-in game is they won at Marquette and have a neutral over USC.

And Palm is an idiot.

EnkAMania

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 31, 2013
Seattle
The MWC should get 4, maybe 5. Really good year for that league.

I believe I read somewhere the MWC is actually rated above the ACC this year. They won't say that out loud on ESPN though.
Using average Net rankings.

ConferenceAvg Rank
Big 1249
Big East61.72727
Big Ten66.71429
SEC77.07143
MTN West89.54545
PAC 1297.33333
ACC106.8

Reactions: Cyclonepride

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Of course it will change, but currently: Iowa State played 5 Q1A games and 4 Q1B. Four of the Q1A are safely in their zone, four of the Q1B are within 7 spots of moving up to Q1A games. We could end the season with over half of all of our games as Q1A games (and hopefully above .500 in those).

1675007763582.png

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Iowa State as a 3 seed in Des Moines with 6 seed Iowa? I am not sure that could happen putting Iowa there...wouldn't there be a 'protected home' type thing for top four seeds?

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Iowa State as a 3 seed in Des Moines with 6 seed Iowa? I am not sure that could happen putting Iowa there...wouldn't there be a 'protected home' type thing for top four seeds?

"Protected home" in first weekend subregions, I don't think is an official part of bracketing procedure. So it could happen, according to bracketing procedure.

Most of the rules are fairly lenient for rematches, except within same league (depends if you met once, twice, 3 or more).

As for ISU-Iowa, a 3 v 6 in round of 32 is permissible (italics mine):

• If possible, rematches of non-conference regular-season games should be avoided in the First Four and first round.
I didn't check full bracket that was linked so I don't know what other options would be available or if other principles are "violated."