Bowl Projections

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Since a NY6 seems to be a pipedream now, I kind of want the Texas bowl just for something different. Though the Liberty against an SEC opponent would be interesting.

The problem with the Liberty Bowl is that the SEC most likely won't end up with a team there.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Since a NY6 seems to be a pipedream now, I kind of want the Texas bowl just for something different. Though the Liberty against an SEC opponent would be interesting.

ISU was supposed to play SEC opponents in 2004 (Independence), 2005 (Houston), 2012 (Liberty), and 2017 (Liberty), and instead got at-large mid-majors.

Reactions: cyclonepower

Darius Bieber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I’d much prefer the Cheez It bowl. Orlando would be much nicer to visit than Memphis. I’m just wondering why folks on here think our future pros will ALL choose to sit out the bowl game?

My personal opinion is that they wouldn't want to risk injury if they are definitely bound for the NFL, for a bowl game that ultimately does not matter. This isn't an NY6 or CFP Semifinal matchup... This is the Liberty/Texas/Cheezit Bowl.

• Dumb
Reactions: isufbcurt

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I’d much prefer the Cheez It bowl. Orlando would be much nicer to visit than Memphis. I’m just wondering why folks on here think our future pros will ALL choose to sit out the bowl game?
A lot of them do all around the country. Why risk your future for a chance to win the Liberty Bowl? Also just like the fans, players will probably also be disappointed with our bowl after talk all summer of reaching the Sugar Bowl.

• Dumb
Reactions: Cyclones1969

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
ISU was supposed to play SEC opponents in 2004 (Independence), 2005 (Houston), 2012 (Liberty), and 2017 (Liberty), and instead got at-large mid-majors.
I don't get the point of bowl tie-ins if the other conference never plays there...like why is it always a Big 12 team vs a G5 at-large and never SEC vs at-large? Or why can't they stick with Big 12 vs SEC?

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
We are way past the point of just being happy to go bowling. We were ranked in the top 10 this season for Chrissake.

Going 8-4 and playing Pitt/Virginia in Orlando, with the only stakes being who gets to be ranked in the final AP Poll, is not what any of us were hoping for. We get to think it's no good.
So much this. People, each season is weighed differently. Next season with the turnover I will be much more in the “let’s get to 6 and see if we can get more.”

This season will end in a bowl but like it or not, there were expectations going into this season of a possible CFP (extreme long shot, so nobody was really counting on it), a Big 12 title (still in play) and I would say Alamo at worst.

Let’s see how it shakes out but a Liberty Bowl or even Orlando is a disappointment no matter how you slice it.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I don't get the point of bowl tie-ins if the other conference never plays there...like why is it always a Big 12 team vs a G5 at-large and never SEC vs at-large? Or why can't they stick with Big 12 vs SEC?

Because the SEC teams get bumped up a spot or two (BCS then, CFP/NY6 now), or they simply don't have enough eligible teams. The other arrangement that the SEC has is that they separate their bowls into tiers/pools, so the league can have more influence on who goes where.

In '04, they didn't have enough eligible teams because of the South Carolina/Clemson brawl. Carolina declined a bowl bid as a result.

In '05, the SEC only had 6 eligible teams out of 12 (Vandy and Tennessee finished 5-6).

In '12, they had 9 eligible teams, with 2 in the BCS. The SEC pool for #7-#9 was Memphis, Nashville, and Birmingham. They put Vandy in Nashville and Ole Miss in Birmingham, which left Memphis open. That was also the year where Bruce ****** his own school out of a bowl bid entirely.

In '17, the SEC had 3 teams in CFP/NY6 and Ole Miss had a bowl sanction.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
My personal opinion is that they wouldn't want to risk injury if they are definitely bound for the NFL, for a bowl game that ultimately does not matter. This isn't an NY6 or CFP Semifinal matchup... This is the Liberty/Texas/Cheezit Bowl.
I don't disagree with the thought, but the guys who sit out are typically guaranteed first rounders. We have 1 maybe first rounder in McDonald.

Liberty Bowl is the only 1 I'm a hard no for now. went to both and have no interest in going back to that s***hole of a stadium and city.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
you would think the outback bowl would be getting tired of always having iowa
Some year I am going to fly to the Outback bowl, get front row seats behind the endzone and be there standing the whole game with the reddest of red IState shirts on just to d*ck with all the ToE faithful and repay them for always having one random dooshcanoe in Iowa crap at ISU games.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Doesn’t seem likely to stay this way, but as long as Oregon loses a game somewhere and both Baylor and Oklahoma State (and OU) stay in the top 12, then 4th place team in the Big 12 would be heading to the Alamo Bowl.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Doesn’t seem likely to stay this way, but as long as Oregon loses a game somewhere and both Baylor and Oklahoma State (and OU) stay in the top 12, then 4th place team in the Big 12 would be heading to the Alamo Bowl.

Provided that there are no "automatic" qualifiers coming from outside the top 12 -- which has only happened once (2017). #11 and #12 are always tenuous spots.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron