Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Having the opinion that Orlando sucks doesn't make me entitled.
This. I'm ecstatic for Iowa State to go to any bowl, but there are definitely cities I like better than others.

Make no mistake, location matters. A bowl trip costs a not insignificant amount of money at a time when travel costs are high. You'd better believe the location is going to influence my decision to go.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
All it took was one season of winning 9 games and our fans became entitled *****

We are way past the point of just being happy to go bowling. We were ranked in the top 10 this season for Chrissake.

Going 8-4 and playing Pitt/Virginia in Orlando, with the only stakes being who gets to be ranked in the final AP Poll, is not what any of us were hoping for. We get to think it's no good.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
We are way past the point of just being happy to go bowling. We were ranked in the top 10 this season for Chrissake.

Going 8-4 and playing Pitt/Virginia in Orlando, with the only stakes being who gets to be ranked in the final AP Poll, is not what any of us were hoping for. We get to think it's no good.

Least it's another game.

• Agree
Reactions: Inthesystem

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
This. I'm ecstatic for Iowa State to go to any bowl, but there are definitely cities I like better than others.

Make no mistake, location matters. A bowl trip costs a not insignificant amount of money at a time when travel costs are high. You'd better believe the location is going to influence my decision to go.

Exactly! This is how most people feel about certain locations and that's perfectly fine. When push comes to shove, I'm writing the check, not @Hoggins.

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020

THIS....listen, I will always be grateful that it seems we are past the days of not ever contending to go to a bowl but this was supposed to be the year. To go back to Arlington, to FINALLY win 10 games and beat Iowa...one of those didn't happen and the others are most likely not happening with still having to play OU...and as much as Texas has sucked this season, they are still far more talented than us and will give us a fight...we can still have a decent season, but it's okay for our fan base to be disappointed about how this season played out

Reactions: Spanky and whoooe

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Mandel has us in Orlando vs Pitt

McMurphy has us in Orlando vs Clemson

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
THIS....listen, I will always be grateful that it seems we are past the days of not ever contending to go to a bowl but this was supposed to be the year. To go back to Arlington, to FINALLY win 10 games and beat Iowa...one of those didn't happen and the others are most likely not happening with still having to play OU...and as much as Texas has sucked this season, they are still far more talented than us and will give us a fight...we can still have a decent season, but it's okay for our fan base to be disappointed about how this season played out

Agreed... and almost more than the loss I was disappointed in some of Coaches comments about being positive and still having a lot to play for... I get why he said it but at the same time for once I almost wanted him to say

"we sucked" or "we didn't play or coach well, it was a disappointing performance" and leave it there. I know teams can be much more difficult than that to manage and you have to manage the psyche and etc... - understood. But if you can't be critical of a incredibly veteran team to the media when the criticism is warranted.... when can you be? Maybe he doesn't like the idea of making it public and I can respect that but I was just like "meh" in reading his initial comments when normally I'm excited for the next game. This just had me feeling... meh. I'm still looking forward to Texas I just felt ... meh. Kinda like I felt watching the game Saturday.

But talking about what's in front of this team ( a likely 7-5 or MAYBE 8-4 record when we were a pre-season top 10, picked to finish second and at best will likely be tied for 3rd - IDK.

Its not a bad season, don't get me wrong. But given everyone coming back - and a reasonably favorable schedule (Iowa, Okie State and Texas all at home) .....it is disappointing. obviously its way more disappointing to them with the work and time and sacrifices they've put in but fans do have the right to be disappointed this season. This season is likely going to make everyone who said "it was a fluke and its same old Iowa State, 7 wins is the ceiling there" talk even louder.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Since a NY6 seems to be a pipedream now, I kind of want the Texas bowl just for something different. Though the Liberty against an SEC opponent would be interesting.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Since a NY6 seems to be a pipedream now, I kind of want the Texas bowl just for something different. Though the Liberty against an SEC opponent would be interesting.
I'd love either of those

Reactions: CloneGuy8

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Give me anything warm weather over the freaking Liberty bowl. Beale street is OK, everything else about my 2 trips to Memphis has sucked, especially the weather. Even the legendary BBQ is HIGHLY overrated. I had a MUCH better time in Orlando than either of my 2 visits to Memphis, game result notwithstanding.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
I'll take Orlando again, add on a day trip to Kennedy Space Center and a chance to eat a big bowl of boiled shrimp on Cocoa Beach.

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
and that's why the national media expects coaches to leave every time they're close to .500 at Iowa State. And why Reece Davis continues to mock us - besides the fact he's a shill and a tool IMO.,

because while I am happy going to a bowl - I'm not happy. Both can be true. Doesn't mean anyone's entitled - just means you're disappointed.

If I do my job one year at 100%, come back another year and do it at 75% - is my boss being entitled thinking it was a disappointing year? IDK. Its not a great analogy but in some ways it fits, in some ways I know it doesn't.

But Iowa State's never going to be more than the plucky under-dog if people aren't allowed to be disappointed about a team that raised the expectation and then came up short.

I'm not going to stop being a fan. I'll scream and cheer and praise and rant and rave all day every Saturday till I'm dead. But if you ask me if I felt like this season was and is disappointing as a fan ? Then my answer is yes. Not that it means anything because I know its more so to the coaches and players than it ever will be to me. But thats my honest answer.

Happy to go to a bowl . Not happy that all the people who are going to tell recruits, other programs and the national media that will proclaim last year a fluke and that it only happened because everyone else struggled with covid... yeah, not going to be happy about that but it will likely happen and if not yet probably will at some point. Thats why this year was potentially huge for the program to take a step forward from the underdog team that plays hard to a team that over-achieves to something more. I never thought we had a real chance of making the playoff... but I did think we had a real chance of beating Iowa and or finishing second and winning 9 games, outside chance of 10. Technically we can reach 9 but we'd have to win out and I'm not sure I'd bet my life on it... hope for it, but expect it? no.

Reactions: sdillon500

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
There isn’t a fanbase out there that could start preseason top 10 and end up being 7-5, unranked and not be disappointed. So spare us the we should be happy crap. It’s perfectly normal to be disappointed.

And no @jsb this doesn’t mean I want Campbell gone, so no reason to go in a tizzy over this.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron