Bill Snyder finally retiring

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
49er head coach Bill Walsh had a "Standard of Performance" he implemented into the organization when he took over in 1979. It started with how the secretaries were instructed to answered the phone,what the expectations for the custodians were. The principles worked up through every level of the organization to players and coaches. That level of attention to detail is reminiscent of Snyder's 16 goals for success IMO. Snyder is truly one of the greatest coaches in football history.

It's interesting how many head coaches just don't have or get "it". However with the size of the roster, staff, etc its got to be incredibly tough as a HC trying to manage all that.

I had a discussion with a KSU fan on twitter. He didn't get why ISU fans were so salty after beating KSU. We discussed the length of the losing streak vs KSU, and how many games were close. He posted an odd comment that implied that ISU was not a good team most years, as if that's not reason to be frustrated over close losses to KSU.

Beating KSU would have moved ISU up the ladder in standings, but I don't believe it would have changed much during the Rhoads era. However, even Rhoads best teams faced incredible challenges just to get to bowl games. It would have made a big difference to ISU fans in terms of our own perception(IMO) to go 7-5 in 2011/2012.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
JP4CY asked me to pick who I want. As I told my son (also nicknamed JP) last night, I trust in Gene Taylor's judgment. However, if forced to pick myself, I'd hire Jim Leavitt. There are lots of reasons for that rationale including his experience, ties to emaw, and wanna-be-here attitude.

I didn't care for Littrell. Too damn ****-sure of himself. Too much of a change from K-State's culture on multiple levels. And I'm just not into seeing TxT-light in neon purple and black.

Troy's Brown seems to be moving up and that's good. NDSU's Klieman slipping a tad this Sunday morn. I'd be fine with either of them.

As for the assistant coach contracts, I'm confident other programs were after them and this was a way to deflect that. The o'line coach has been in very high demand for good reason. Snyder's tree is tall and deep in coaching ranks.

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
49er head coach Bill Walsh had a "Standard of Performance" he implemented into the organization when he took over in 1979. It started with how the secretaries were instructed to answered the phone,what the expectations for the custodians were. The principles worked up through every level of the organization to players and coaches. That level of attention to detail is reminiscent of Snyder's 16 goals for success IMO. Snyder is truly one of the greatest coaches in football history.

It's interesting how many head coaches just don't have or get "it". However with the size of the roster, staff, etc its got to be incredibly tough as a HC trying to manage all that.

I had a discussion with a KSU fan on twitter. He didn't get why ISU fans were so salty after beating KSU. We discussed the length of the losing streak vs KSU, and how many games were close. He posted an odd comment that implied that ISU was not a good team most years, as if that's not reason to be frustrated over close losses to KSU.

Beating KSU would have moved ISU up the ladder in standings, but I don't believe it would have changed much during the Rhoads era. However, even Rhoads best teams faced incredible challenges just to get to bowl games. It would have made a big difference to ISU fans in terms of our own perception(IMO) to go 7-5 in 2011/2012.

A lot of the reason ISU didn't win those games was because of the lack of details and KSU continuing to play hard no matter what. The blocked extra point in 2009 comes to mind.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
The future of KSU athletics on the line, seems like a good time to get cheap.
Next thing you know, dinosaurs are killing people all over the place.

tenor.gif

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Assistants (except coordinators and possibly Snyder’s son as associate head coach) typically don’t sign multi-year deals. If Kansas State signed their assistants to multi-year deals with an 80 year old head coach, then LOL.
It was likely partly based on Snyder's loyalty to his assistants and partly a scheme to make it even harder for the AD to not promote Sean to the HC role.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
A lot of the reason ISU didn't win those games was because of the lack of details and KSU continuing to play hard no matter what. The blocked extra point in 2009 comes to mind.
The blocked PAT in 2009 was a clear case of leverage. It should have been half the distance to the goal and replay the try.

• Agree
Reactions: CyCloned

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Next thing you know, dinosaurs are killing people all over the place.

tenor.gif
I just watched this yesterday. I often wonder in this scene if Wayne Knight improvised putting the shaving creme on the desert and they liked it so much they shot a close up of it.

• Agree
Reactions: GTO

lakesbison

Jul 14, 2009
im having a blast on #goemaw. those clowns are hilarious... and stupid.

I told them Klieman already has the job... I was told by 3 diff people yesterday at NDSU game on ESPN ahem (and this Friday on espn 2 7pm) good plug eh?

that hes got the job, just gotta work out assistants, logistics, etc.

Im assuming KSU would keep some current coaches recruiting while Chris finishes fridays game.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I just watched this yesterday. I often wonder in this scene if Wayne Knight improvised putting the shaving creme on the desert and they liked it so much they shot a close up of it.

Something deep in my memory tells me it was improved, but Spielberg isn’t exactly the improv type.

lakesbison

Jul 14, 2009
thanks man. yea banishment via ames iowa was rough... it was like spending a day in Iowa City argh.

friday night 7pm espn2 will be a fun game to watch. NDSU v sdsu.

we have lots of internal coaches at the ready at NDSU, but itd be interesting to see what names would apply if we opened it up nationally

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Klieman, DC Matt Entz and Courtney Messingham followed all incoming K-State recruits and current players and admin on Twitter yesterday afternoon. Hard to hide your intentions in the social media era.

New head coach at NDSU is going to be Tim Polasek, former OC there and current O-Line coach at Iowa.

• Informative
Reactions: isutrevman