Big XII considering plus 1 schedule

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

NIU was supposed to play Iowa and Maryland. Those games being cancelled will end up costing them $1.4 million..

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
This is a bit of a rabbit trail, but I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't all end up with the power five breaking from the NCAA. The association is in DC now trying to defend its model before Congress. And there's an effort within to cancel all its championships this year due to the virus. Well, how does P5 football continue under an umbrella that says no championships should be held?

The c'virus could cause an epic fracture between the institutions and bring the P5 under its own reign, much like the CFP. I can't think of many things the NCAA has done organizationally that would bring admiration other than the Condi Rice effort, and we still don't know if anything meaningful will come of that.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010

NIU was supposed to play Iowa and Maryland. Those games being cancelled will end up costing them $1.4 million..

I smell a lawsuit. I'm not sure what the Big X doing has to do with the other conferences. Other than screwing ISU out of our rivalry game.

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
even is this season happens its going to be a crap show. kind of like high school summer sports this year. teams will end up having to forfeit players or even a game one week here in there because of multiple positive testing etc.
Bowl games will probably not happen,
ugh...

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
even is this season happens its going to be a crap show. kind of like high school summer sports this year. teams will end up having to forfeit players or even a game one week here in there because of multiple positive testing etc.
Bowl games will probably not happen,
ugh...
I think there's a chance they expand the season itself, meaning pushing back title games, bowl games, and the CFP. That means there are more weeks to work with. PAC 12 just put out their plans and they're not starting games until Sept. 19. They're fully expecting the CFP to get pushed back.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
This is a bit of a rabbit trail, but I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't all end up with the power five breaking from the NCAA. The association is in DC now trying to defend its model before Congress. And there's an effort within to cancel all its championships this year due to the virus. Well, how does P5 football continue under an umbrella that says no championships should be held?

The c'virus could cause an epic fracture between the institutions and bring the P5 under its own reign, much like the CFP. I can't think of many things the NCAA has done organizationally that would bring admiration other than the Condi Rice effort, and we still don't know if anything meaningful will come of that.

The breaking apart was coming regardless of the virus. This is just accelerating the chaos. It's time to recognize this as a semi-pro type league. You are there to develop young people with exceptional talent, it just happens that the talent is athletic and not academic. Prepare them for their very young careers and then offer them a potential free education after they age out of the athletic career.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I smell a lawsuit. I'm not sure what the Big X doing has to do with the other conferences. Other than screwing ISU out of our rivalry game.

If you think the Big 10 didn’t have their contracts reviewed and guaranteed locked down airtight before they made their decision then I’ve got news for you.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron