Big 12 - G6?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
There's a thread about Big 12 expansion but I think a dedicated thread about relegation is in order. In what way is the reconstituted Big 12 not a relegated conference? ...The sixth (or first?) of the now group of six.

It seems the only thing keeping us at the P5 level are the media deals which all included UT and OU. The revised Big 12 can't possibly get media deals in the next go-round to keep up with the SEC, B1G, ACC and Pac, right?

And the shifting $$$ fueled CFB landscape may well eliminate all but TWO power conferences, Fox's B1G and ESPN's SEC...

Schools like ISU, KSU, & oSu have made huge $$$ investments into their AD's and FB programs over the last 25 years. Anybody my age has literally watched ISU become a legit top 25 FB program with regard to facilities projects and upgrades. We started behind the eight ball in the '90's but have gotten to a place where we can compete in the physical upgrades arena...which brings coaches, who bring recruits, that bring Fiesta Bowl Championships.

Relegation will destroy all of that.

So, are we doomed? Will the P4 continue to exist with ISU getting a Pac or B1G invite? Are the B1G & SEC gonna go full NFL Lite with 16 team leagues a al AFC/NFC? Will ISU (in the Big 12) be able to get the $$$ we need going forward to sustain our success?

I'm relying on the smartest people in America, CF posters, to give me their educated opinions on the future of Cyclones Football. TIA.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
OMG. Where have you been lately? There is a significant change developing about $$$ and the source of them. The landscape in 3 years will be significantly different than now. Any discussion of $$$ should be left to the true visionaries ... which I haven't seen too many of around here.

Naddafinga

Aug 14, 2013
IA
My sources tell me Football is indeed doomed. However all is not lost. The powers that be think we can channel existing and future $$$ into a World Class Ping Pong Program (PPP).
IOW I have no idea...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: CyTwister

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
The only thing that separates the new big 12 vs other conferences is the perceived heavy hitters. This would be the Ohio State, Alabama, Oklahoma, Clemson, etc. of the conference. It may take half a decade, but one or two will emerge as the conferences heavy hitter. Outside of that, we belong with the other P5 conferences.

Reactions: LincolnSwinger

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I can see an argument if you're going to classify it a power 2 and a middle 3. But to think the new Big12 is at least not on par or above the PAC and ACC is crazy. The Big10 and SEC have clearly established themselves as a tier ahead, there's no arguing that. But that doesn't mean college athletics are doomed for all but the top 30 teams.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
yeah this definitely needed to be its own thread
PleasedGlossyBluemorphobutterfly-max-1mb.gif

20eyes

May 15, 2020
OMG. Where have you been lately? There is a significant change developing about $$$ and the source of them. The landscape in 3 years will be significantly different than now. Any discussion of $$$ should be left to the true visionaries ... which I haven't seen too many of around here.

Working. Explain it to me.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
The only thing that separates the new big 12 vs other conferences is the perceived heavy hitters. This would be the Ohio State, Alabama, Oklahoma, Clemson, etc. of the conference. It may take half a decade, but one or two will emerge as the conferences heavy hitter. Outside of that, we belong with the other P5 conferences.

Says you. Is someone going to pay us P5 level going forward?

20eyes

May 15, 2020
I thought you might be able to make a legitimate case until you grouped the PAC 12 in with the SEC and Big 10 - then you lost me.

Until I didn't.

What case? I'm asking legitimate questions.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Working. Explain it to me.

Real answer - nobody knows, because there are a lot of balls being juggled right now. A lot of people have their theories. I think the new look Big 12 will be and should be on par with the ACC and Pac 12 as far as money negotiating, but we'll see. We don't know which players will be in the game for media rights, we don't even know when OU and UT are leaving. I think it's obvious there are going to be a big 2, (SEC, Big 10) and a little 3, (ACC, Big 12, PAC 12) it's just a matter of how little those guys are.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
I can see an argument if you're going to classify it a power 2 and a middle 3. But to think the new Big12 is at least not on par or above the PAC and ACC is crazy. The Big10 and SEC have clearly established themselves as a tier ahead, there's no arguing that. But that doesn't mean college athletics are doomed for all but the top 30 teams.

So, we'll get commensurate $$$ to those leagues going forward?

20eyes

May 15, 2020
Real answer - nobody knows, because there are a lot of balls being juggled right now. A lot of people have their theories. I think the new look Big 12 will be and should be on par with the ACC and Pac 12 as far as money negotiating, but we'll see. We don't know which players will be in the game for media rights, we don't even know when OU and UT are leaving. I think it's obvious there are going to be a big 2, (SEC, Big 10) and a little 3, (ACC, Big 12, PAC 12) it's just a matter of how little those guys are.
JFC, finally a cogent response...thank you, Bryce.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
When I see threads like this, I remind myself that we pay Jamie Pollard a helluva lot of money to use his vision and connections and experience to come up with the solutions that are most beneficial for ISU. I'm going to trust him to navigate this to the best possible resolution.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
JFC, finally a cogent response...thank you, Bryce.
Agreed. I think you will see the "new" Big 12, Pac 12, and ACC in a very similar $ payout. Now, this may be the catalyst to drive the Pac 12 blue bloods out and drive additional consolidation...or not. Later next year into 2023 is going to be very interesting as the initial media deals start to roll out.