CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I will still be surprised if OuT is in the Big12 in 22-23.

I tend to agree. I lean towards that next season will be the last for both schools, which roughly matches the timeline of Nebraska, A&M, Colorado, and Missouri.

But reading the article, it said that " both schools would be subject to what have been projected as nine-figure early exit fees for breaking the Big 12 grant of rights that bind schools' TV inventory to the conference." So does this mean that both would individually be subject to 9 figure exit fees? If that is the case, I could see them staying a little longer, or at least until the exit fees are lessen due to the remaining value of the media deal becoming less.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
One of those is not like the others in the South

This is one of the dumbest division alignment proposals that I have seen, can't see that flying.

I think the league should design the ideal 6+6 set up for the 12 that will be continuing and then stick OU and UT on either side based on whatever.

There is only one way to keep (1) ISU, KU, and KSU together (2) Cincy and WVU together for geography, (3) the Texas schools together, (4) OSU with the Texas schools. It is the East/West set up with ISU, KU, KSU, UC, WVU, and UCF in the East, and BYU, OSU, and all the Texans in the West. In this case just stick Texas in the West and Oklahoma in the East for two years.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I like the comment in the report that one official joked... put them (OuT) in the same division so there is no way they could both be in the Big12 CC game.

I think it'd be better if you put them in different divisions, and then schedule them not to play each other.

Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
Yea, they ain't going anywhere. 3 more years in the Big 12

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
I think it'd be better if you put them in different divisions, and then schedule them not to play each other.

Yep. Make it so Red River doesn't happen for at least 1 year if not 2. They can always schedule it as a non-conference game if they really want to. No one will play all their cross-divisional opponents. With 14 that means only 3/7, whereas with 12 that will mean 4/6 if we stay at 9 league games.

• Agree
Reactions: 20eyes

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I tend to agree. I lean towards that next season will be the last for both schools, which roughly matches the timeline of Nebraska, A&M, Colorado, and Missouri.

But reading the article, it said that " both schools would be subject to what have been projected as nine-figure early exit fees for breaking the Big 12 grant of rights that bind schools' TV inventory to the conference." So does this mean that both would individually be subject to 9 figure exit fees? If that is the case, I could see them staying a little longer, or at least until the exit fees are lessen due to the remaining value of the media deal becoming less.
Have there been any more rumblings about a potential buy out or OUT not staying though the whole contract? Seems stupid for two teams on a downward trajectory to want to pay money to move to the SEC to get obliterated and damage their brand even more.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Yea, they ain't going anywhere. 3 more years in the Big 12

The freeze on CFP expansion has made this much more likely IMO. Much less of a reason for the other Big 12 schools to want to play ball on an early exit. We know that keeping OU around maintains the league's place as a power conference with a legitimate playoff shot. Then in 2025 the CFP will expand because the contract is up and the new Big 12 will maintain the same playoff access.

• Winner
Reactions: Yaz and Hoggins

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Have there been any more rumblings about a potential buy out or OUT not staying though the whole contract? Seems stupid for two teams on a downward trajectory to want to pay money to move to the SEC to get obliterated and damage their brand even more.

I have no inside sources, so I just go off of what I read. But if OUT were worried about their brands and loosing, they would be better off beating the teams in the Big12 and having an easy path to the playoffs. They both have the resources and history to win.

Part of why I think they want out is because 1) they want the higher revenue quicker so they don’t t fall behind. 2) when we’ve seen teams leave conferences, it seems to be a two season transition. 3) OUT has egg on their faces because they thought the big12 would cease to exist. Being the southern ego types that the donors and decision makers are, they probably don’t want to be walking with egg on their faces around their friends for very long and want this to end sooner rather than later.

Just my opinions and how I feel based on what I read. What are your thoughts? According to the article, it sounds like a buyout is steep to pay, even for Texas. But maybe after bball things will start to work themselves out and become clear.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
TV partners are sure to be in the ear of the Big 12 and say "you guys are going to guarantee Texas and OU play at least once, if not twice". I have hard time not seeing them in the same division. That game is easily the most valuable TV property the conference has to offer, ESPN or Fox is going to say its going to be played.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
This post is a great example of why they need to move ASAP.

The last two bowl seasons, plus A&M and Missouri's immediate seasons after moving, show that winning percentage won't be impacted much, but perception may. It's really only the Bama and maybe UGa games, and those losses basically don't hurt brands anymore. People assume Bama is a loss for all teams.

UT lost to KU- they need to move as soon as possible to save their brand. Losses to the Big 12 newcomers is bad for OuT and the SEC, great for the Big 12.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I have no inside sources, so I just go off of what I read. But if OUT were worried about their brands and loosing, they would be better off beating the teams in the Big12 and having an easy path to the playoffs. They both have the resources and history to win.

Part of why I think they want out is because 1) they want the higher revenue quicker so they don’t t fall behind. 2) when we’ve seen teams leave conferences, it seems to be a two season transition. 3) OUT has egg on their faces because they thought the big12 would cease to exist. Being the southern ego types that the donors and decision makers are, they probably don’t want to be walking with egg on their faces around their friends for very long and want this to end sooner rather than later.

Just my opinions and how I feel based on what I read. What are your thoughts? According to the article, it sounds like a buyout is steep to pay, even for Texas. But maybe after bball things will start to work themselves out and become clear.
I think I agree with most of your points. Only thing is that Texas doesn't really need the SEC money but OU might. My personal thoughts if I ran OUT would be to save the coin and stay in the BIG12 untill the contract was out. Try to reestablish the program for OU and try to not be a dumpster fire for Texas. While the SEC is extremely top heavy the top 75% of teams in that conference would be really hard for them to beat. A couple years of getting your breaks beat off can severely damage a program. Knowing the push back against playoff expansion the move to the SEC looks even more idiotic.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I think I agree with most of your points. Only thing is that Texas doesn't really need the SEC money but OU might. My personal thoughts if I ran OUT would be to save the coin and stay in the BIG12 untill the contract was out. Try to reestablish the program for OU and try to not be a dumpster fire for Texas. While the SEC is extremely top heavy the top 75% of teams in that conference would be really hard for them to beat. A couple years of getting your breaks beat off can severely damage a program. Knowing the push back against playoff expansion the move to the SEC looks even more idiotic.

Your right that Texas doesn’t need the money, but they’re greedy and that won’t stop them from wanting more. Their title as richest department could be in jeopardy if the Big 10 and SEC get those big deals your talking about. And that would just hurt their feelings.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Your right that Texas doesn’t need the money, but they’re greedy and that won’t stop them from wanting more. Their title as richest department could be in jeopardy if the Big 10 and SEC get those big deals your talking about. And that would just hurt their feelings.
Hahaha that's fair