Best Web Browser

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
I've been using the Chromium version of Edge for a while now, and I like it. I decided since I switched back to a Windows laptop from a Macbook that I'd try using the whole Microsoft suite of things.

I really like Firefox, but the thing that pushes me away (on my laptop in particular) is it's poor battery performance. In my experience, especially with playback of videos, it tends to run my CPU much harder than other browsers. So my laptop runs hotter, which means the fans run more, more battery drain, etc. If it weren't for that, I'd probably use Firefox, since there's a ton to like about it -- privacy, easy built-in ability to take screenshots of the full web page (which is a killer feature), great developer tools, among others. But the video playback on my laptop is a bit of a deal breaker.

I will say, for all the features I like on Firefox more than Chrome, I do like Chrome's zoom feature (different from increasing the size of the elements on a page). I can pinch to zoom with my trackpad and it'll zoom in like you would an image, whereas the same gesture on Firefox just increases the size of the elements.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
I like the Samsung browser on my Galaxy phone more than Chrome. Can also install the AdBlock app into the Samsung browser.

Chrome on my laptop.

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN
Internet Destroyer! FTW!

Believe it or not I still have some programs at work that only operate on IE so I'm forced to use it for a couple oddball things. One requires IE 5.5 or less. Let's just say there's one old computer still lingering around just for that.

• Funny
Reactions: ThatllDoCy

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
I flip flop between Chrome and Brave.

I use Brave if I'm just serfing the web. Super quick and you don't run into the same bugs you do on Chrome.

I use Chrome for work. I use the G Drive for a lot of data gathering and compiling and I have A LOT of plugins set up to talk with my G Drive (Trello boards, Monday.com, and many many more)

If you want to just serf, Brave.

• Agree
Reactions: ThatllDoCy

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Netscape Navigator, forever and always.

Edit: Dammit. @SC Cy beat me to it; I did a thread search before posting, but the netscape mention was an image embed. Clever.

Ahh, the good old days, when you had to pay cash money for a web browser and listen to the dulcet tones of the modem dialing into your ISP.

wenkeej

Dec 28, 2015
Cambridge
tumblr_n1ldbketVi1s0ny3fo1_250.gif

My favorite part of surfing the internet has always been manning the helm while watching the shooting stars.

• Funny
  • Agree
Reactions: ISC and ThatllDoCy

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa

The new edge (based on Chromium) is way, way faster than Chrome. If you haven't yet, give it a try. Note this is the new version, not the old one. You can tell by the icon (get it from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge).

Firefox is a close second for best browser.

At the bottom is Safari and IE. At least IE is a discontinued browser. Safari is just a horrible excuse for a browser.

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa
Using Brave with DuckDuckGo as my browser. Faster than chrome, similar to Firefox, but I like it so far.

What rendering engine is brave based on? I haven't heard of it?

Note for anyone using iOS, all browsers on iOS have to use the same rendering engine, so all you are actually getting is a skin. Not sure if android has the same restrictions.

All Browsers Must Use Safari’s Rendering Engine. Apple’s App Store policies state: “Apps that browse the web must use the iOS WebKit framework and WebKit Javascript.”

• Winner
Reactions: GetAwesome

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Duckduckgo. The rest will clog your whole system and slow things way down.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
What rendering engine is brave based on? I haven't heard of it?

Note for anyone using iOS, all browsers on iOS have to use the same rendering engine, so all you are actually getting is a skin. Not sure if android has the same restrictions.

All Browsers Must Use Safari’s Rendering Engine. Apple’s App Store policies state: “Apps that browse the web must use the iOS WebKit framework and WebKit Javascript.”

I'll be honest not sure what a rendering engine is, I believe I chose duckduckgo if that is what you mean.