Best Dorm?

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
If I could do it over again I would have applied for housing in Union Drive, probably Friley. I couldn’t have been further from the west side of campus where all my classes were living in RCA.

I really did like RCA overall but the distance was a killer during the winter.

I lived in Maple and was in engineering. It was fine, even in the cold winter, and we walked uphill both ways, in the olden days.

The important thing was that I had an onion on my belt which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I walked in on two chicks in the coed bathrooms in Willow around 3AM once during VEISHEA that had a dude bent over the counter, pants at his ankles and were literally shaving his ass. No conversation or explanation given. I just shut the door and went to a different bathroom.

I miss college.
We had a party on Coconino that got busted, the cop went and watched the two girls in the shower, and let us off..

I also miss college

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
I lived in Maple and was in engineering. It was fine, even in the cold winter, and we walked uphill both ways, in the olden days.

The important thing was that I had an onion on my belt which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones.

You probably didn’t have giant design folios to lug back and forth. I swear some days were windy enough that I could have just invested in a skateboard and used it to sail across campus.

• Haha
Reactions: NickTheGreat

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Check his access+ account and see. That’s usually the best
Room assignments are in StarRez, which is the portal for the Department of Residence.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

ISUinOR

Nov 8, 2007
Portland, OR
6th Floor, Larch Hall

Used to party a lot on 4th (Cessna) a "few" years ago. Looking forward to finding out if Larch still smells like it did back in the day. I know the smell of Friley is still going strong.

jaj040

Nut Cup Wearer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 21, 2015
I drank then passed out in the Towers heat.
I remember it being hotter in Wallace in the winter. Those radiators were always blastin. Also, no AC means doors are open and more socializing.

• Agree
Reactions: FOREVERTRUE

NY Chicago Fan

Mar 17, 2023
We tried to burn Larch down in 1997, oops.
Ha, I remember that. I was in Larch 95-96, and 96-97. Fire I think was during spring break

I liked Larch since had AC (friends used to come over from other dorms in Aug/Sept to hang), big cafe easy walk, and close to the Lied Rec Center where I played basketball or used gym most nights. Downside was long walk (I never took cyride all 4 years, personal goal) to Engineering classes. Lived in Apt last 2 years, one or two blocks from Eng side of campus, missed the short walk to play basketball, but was better walk to bars once 21

Reactions: CycloneDaddy

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Loved that dining hall! It was never too busy because everyone went to UDCC. MWL wasn’t terrible either I guess but Oak-Elm’s lines were always manageable.
Went to Oak Elm for the "scenery" since it was an all girls dorm at the time. If you were hungry you would go to Linden as it was buffet style.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Went to Oak Elm for the "scenery" since it was an all girls dorm at the time. If you were hungry you would go to Linden as it was buffet style.
Buffet??? When did that happen? I went there 90-92 and it was only a little Buffett type. Main dishes and sides were pick up.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Buffet??? When did that happen? I went there 90-92 and it was only a little Buffett type. Main dishes and sides were pick up.
I went to ISU from 98-02, Lived in BWR to start, then Towers then Linden and it was pretty much buffet style when you went through the line that I recall. They did not have dishes with certain portion sizes on them like most of the dining halls did it was pretty much grab a plate and take as much as you wanted of whatever they were serving. Loved it as it kept the food hot and fresh and you didn't have to go back through the line another time or 2 to get enough to eat.

• Informative
Reactions: BCClone