Best Dorm?

ISUinOR

Nov 8, 2007
Portland, OR
My oldest son is planning on Aerospace Engineering this Fall as a freshman. I read through this thread and love the insight.

I'm a '93 ISU grad. Never lived in dorms as I did JUCO for a couple years before ISU. Got some semi dorm-life experience staying/partying with friends when visiting ISU in high school and while at JUCO - MWL and Towers mainly. I dated a girl who lived in Helser, so spent a bit of time there.

As an AE major, I'm thinking Helser or Friley would be best for him. I heard they did renovations on Helser recently. Anyone know how that turned out?

I missed out on the traditional dorm experience and really think the old-school dorm life for at least a couple years would be a great experience for him. If you had to rank the dorms, what would be your top 3?

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I lived in and loved Buchanan Hall. I still have friends from all over the world that I met there.

kcbob79clone

My oldest son is planning on Aerospace Engineering this Fall as a freshman. I read through this thread and love the insight.

I'm a '93 ISU grad. Never lived in dorms as I did JUCO for a couple years before ISU. Got some semi dorm-life experience staying/partying with friends when visiting ISU in high school and while at JUCO - MWL and Towers mainly. I dated a girl who lived in Helser, so spent a bit of time there.

As an AE major, I'm thinking Helser or Friley would be best for him. I heard they did renovations on Helser recently. Anyone know how that turned out?

I missed out on the traditional dorm experience and really think the old-school dorm life for at least a couple years would be a great experience for him. If you had to rank the dorms, what would be your top 3?

Definitely Fridley cause Helser sucks!

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I stayed in Wilson tower my 4 years and loved it. That’s was back in the 70’s and I believe it’s still standing.... I hope.

I stayed on the 7th floor of Wilson until we got kicked out for shooting a bottle rocket down at a Domino's driver.

Tower floors are all co-ed now. That could be a motivating factor.

Reactions: SweetNSauber

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club

'15 grad here. Helser is the worst but it was home. I'd say friley first

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

I lived in a non-air conditioned section of Friley from 1997-2000 and I loved it. And I walked up hill and barefoot in a blizzard to my classes unlike the pampered people with suites and airconditioning, and lofts not built by the roommate's dad, and carpet that they didn't have to order through some overpriced dorm catalog.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Back when I applied and was accepted to ISU they gave you the choice of three options. TRA (Towers), FRA (Friley/Helser) and RCA (MWL etc).

My ranked choices w.ere 1: FRA 2: RC 3: TRA. I wound up in the towers. Furthest freaking walk to Campus and my major building - Town Hall.

STLISU

Aug 25, 2017
St. Louis (CWE)
I would strongly recommenced Richardson Court area (aka Old RCA - Birch-Welch-Roberts, Barton-Lyon-Freeman) etc. You get the nice courtyard, trees, quintessential college feel, the hallways encourage interaction, the dens feel like old school college dens. Boys dorms are close to girls dorms (building by building, e.g. Oak-Elm, at least in past) but avoid the co-ed-floor weirdness effects to male group psychology.

Not as far away as Maple-Willow-Larch, not as much of a mole-burrow as Deep-Friley :) I would advise against the new Martin/Eaton suite where the doors are heavy and close automatically, and everything is far apart and non-conducive to organic socializing. Sure it is a bit more of a walk to engineering buildings but as a freshman your classes are scattered and that walk takes you through the creek/Knoll area and central campus.

Wherever you end up you get out what you put in, but the spatial arrangements can help or hinder...

I mean look at this place! If "aesthetic truth" :) is lost on him, and if you don't think it will be awakened by the springtime dogwood blooming along College Creek between the Union and the dorms, trees then maybe leave the spot for someone else, but otherwise...
View attachment 59244 View attachment 59245
Completely agree. Roberts Hall, Harriman House for me. So many great memories.

Reactions: k123

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I lived in BWR and worked food service in Oak-Elm. Since I was in Ag Business, most of my classes were Agronomy and Heady Hall, so it was a rather quick trip to and from classes.