Behind Enemy Lines: Big 12

Jsievers24

Jan 8, 2014
Johnston, IA
Also, thanks a lot for leaving us such a "great" team Fred. He knew he was leaving a huge mess for the next guy. What a joke. Hoiberg can stay in Chicago, even after he gets fired.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
We are isolating Niang on the wing/in the post way more than last season. It's basically our entire offense. He was more of a point forward last season, where he would bring the ball up occasionally and initiate the offense from the top. Now Monte is bringing the ball up every possession.

wait so now it's on the wing and in the post?

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
He runs a better zone defense that much seems to be true so far.

<facepalm> Good grief. Prohm starts using a zone midway through a season with a bunch of seniors who have never played it, and suddenly we're comparing them to Morgan's guys. Whatever. Preach on, brother.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
The McKay stuff here wasn't a problem last year with the fanbase; what'd y'all think "Fred runs practices pretty loose" meant?
I thought it meant that there was probably a lot of screwing around and horseplay at practice, but players would at least have to show up. I guess I thought wrong...

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Fred Hoiberg & Wayne Morgan > Steve Prohm & Greg McDoormat

If it takes the "inmates running the asylum" to play exciting winning post season making teams I don't care what you say that is the way to go...you all know the old adage that winning is 90% talent and 10% coaching. Good thing Prohm's contract is cheap but I'm not sure that the curmudgeons here can handle the right type of coach to win in today's college basketball. This isn't freaking Hoosiers anymore fellas.

afro-shaking-head-no.gif

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
wait so now it's on the wing and in the post?

On the wing equates to Niang backing his guy down into the post. They're similar, it's just a matter of how far he gets pushed out.

I don't see your point. You really don't think he's being used differently? There's a reason his field goal percentage has gone up. He's making more hooks and relying less on driving.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
On the wing equates to Niang backing his guy down into the post. They're similar, it's just a matter of how far he gets pushed out.

I don't see your point. You really don't think he's being used differently? There's a reason his field goal percentage has gone up. He's making more hooks and relying less on driving.

He has always done this though. I agree with you that he is used less to bring the ball up but he still does a lot of facing up from the perimeter and either drives or shoots the three. I think he is more efficient this year but he I think a big part is he is making better decisions on drives. And the other part is he is just a better player this year.

AllIn

Nov 28, 2013
It is sickening how many people are killing Prohm for this season and writing off the future. I'm ashamed of our fan base right now. Our best team ever (2000) came from a coach who was a complete hard-*** but got his guys to play like warriors. I think Steve has a chance to be in-between Fred and Larry and both styles can win.

^^^^This x 1,000,000,000

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Starting to wonder if Fred let the inmates run the asylum because look at the train wreck Royce White became after he left ISU. You can probably keep egos and attitudes more in check by letting them do as they please instead of enforcing rules which keeps them happy even if it means they aren't being held to the same standards as everyone else is. It's a different situation in the NBA now when you have players that are making more than the coach is, the players are definitely the ones in charge when you look at how often NBA coaches are fired.

I forgot to respond to this earlier. Royce isn't a train wreck. He has his problems but he isn't having problems. He isn't in the NBA because he took a stand and said his mental health was more important. I don't know if you read his letter the other day but I think it shows that he made a informed decision that the NBA wasn't worth it if they didn't take his health seriously.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
McKay being allowed to not practice and be babied could have also let to BDJ's outbursts. Afterall BDJ practiced and was replaced in the starting lineup by someone who was allowed not to practice. I know If I were in BDJ's shoes and that happened I would be ******.

I think BDJ got his own liberties from Hoiberg. Specifically, by having Fred come out to his place with the police and address the crap going on in his apartment building.

CycloneWarrior

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 10, 2008
Urbandale,Ia
I would love to have an off-the-record conversation with hoiberg about the royce white year and how he managed guys like allen, white, booker and lucious (his redshirt year) at the same time. I've heard a few stories about white that definitely weren't flattering.

CyBri

Mar 2, 2012
I hope you are not serious. Fred is one of the best things to happen to ISU. I'm grateful for everyday that we had him and would welcome him back whenever he wanted.
Also, thanks a lot for leaving us such a "great" team Fred. He knew he was leaving a huge mess for the next guy. What a joke. Hoiberg can stay in Chicago, even after he gets fired.