Behind Enemy Lines: Big 12

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Sorry if this has already been posted, but Seth Davis has put out a couple of these now. They're fascinating to read. basically opposing coaches/scouts giving their breakdown of in-conference foes anonymously. Thought they went pretty easy on Iowa State:

Iowa State (19–9, 8–7): "Everybody in the league knows they will not foul because they only have six or seven guys. So you just have to drive it and go at 'em. [Senior forward Georges] Niang is a great offensive player, so you have to post him and make him play defense, because he's not going to foul and he's not an athlete. When he drives, you have to make him a finisher because he's really good at passing the ball. If Niang is standing still, he's a big-time passer; but once he gets moving, he can't stop. He's so big and bulky. He loves to go baseline and then spin back into that righty hook, so you have to try to wall him in on the baseline. [Coach] Steve [Prohm] has done a good job keeping continuity after Fred [Hoiberg] left. They're pretty much running all the same plays, which is smart. I heard when Fred was there that sometimes [senior forward Jameel] McKay didn't want to practice, which Fred allowed, but Steve isn't allowing that. They survived without him, but they're not nearly as good when he's out. [Junior guard Monte] Morris has become such a better scorer. His transformation from three years ago is amazing. He only scores when he needs to, but he hits some big shots."

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
So essentially Prohm adopted a grown kid that his previous parent didn't raise right. How do you "let" a kid not practice? Is this hyperbole?

ISU_Clone_28

Mar 27, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
Sorry if this has already been posted, but Seth Davis has put out a couple of these now. They're fascinating to read. basically opposing coaches/scouts giving their breakdown of in-conference foes anonymously. Thought they went pretty easy on Iowa State:

Iowa State (19–9, 8–7): "Everybody in the league knows they will not foul because they only have six or seven guys. So you just have to drive it and go at 'em. [Senior forward Georges] Niang is a great offensive player, so you have to post him and make him play defense, because he's not going to foul and he's not an athlete. When he drives, you have to make him a finisher because he's really good at passing the ball. If Niang is standing still, he's a big-time passer; but once he gets moving, he can't stop. He's so big and bulky. He loves to go baseline and then spin back into that righty hook, so you have to try to wall him in on the baseline. [Coach] Steve [Prohm] has done a good job keeping continuity after Fred [Hoiberg] left. They're pretty much running all the same plays, which is smart. I heard when Fred was there that sometimes [senior forward Jameel] McKay didn't want to practice, which Fred allowed, but Steve isn't allowing that. They survived without him, but they're not nearly as good when he's out. [Junior guard Monte] Morris has become such a better scorer. His transformation from three years ago is amazing. He only scores when he needs to, but he hits some big shots."

If the part about Fred allowing Mckay to skip practices is true that may explain the difference in attitude we have seen from him this year under Prohm.

clonetone

Feb 16, 2016
Nothing surprising in there I guess. Wonder how much different the defensive philosophy would be if this team really did go, say, 9 deep without much of a drop-off.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I would think Fred allowing a player not to practice only further hurt last year's group. Wouldn't that to finger pointing, etc.?

Tight like a fist...funny stuff.

clonetone

Feb 16, 2016
The last thing we need is an anonymous rumor based on hearsay from someone outside the ISU program about Jameel to make the rounds, so how about we let that one go. Jameel is back, he looked like he's buying in, hopefully he sticks with that because he might have as little as 5 games left in a Cyclone uniform.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
If true, I don't know how Fred managed to avoid more player issues.

Starting to wonder if Fred let the inmates run the asylum because look at the train wreck Royce White became after he left ISU. You can probably keep egos and attitudes more in check by letting them do as they please instead of enforcing rules which keeps them happy even if it means they aren't being held to the same standards as everyone else is. It's a different situation in the NBA now when you have players that are making more than the coach is, the players are definitely the ones in charge when you look at how often NBA coaches are fired.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I didn't think it was a big deal. I thought the comment was highlighting Prohm's style moreso than McKay's petulance, but you know the media is going to pounce on this. McKay looked ready to go against West Virginia. There is a month left in the season/his career. That crap doesn't matter anymore.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
You wonder if that's 'totally true' about Jameel. He better not have printed that if he didn't have some concrete info. I certainly will be asking someone who will know without question. As for the game plan against us and Georges, its pretty much spot on. Makes you wonder how we've won as much as we have, doesn't it? Offensive efficiency, I guess. Sad part is, Georges probably knows it too and that has to wear on a player who knows he's extremely counted on. Heck they all are.

My question moving forward is...is Prohm letting the players run (and I'm hearing he calls very few himself at needed times) all the same plays just because he didn't want to mess with continuity, or is it an area he lacks in his young coaching career that we should be concerned about? Having asked that, its probably not a very fair question, tho, at this time. Inheriting almost a whole team thats been under the same staff can't be easy. Besides, its not like we hired a Power 5 conference coaching veteran. Fred's success was going to make it almost impossible not to question an up-and-comer in the coaching ranks when something doesn't go well.

clone136

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2006
Des Moines
Its probably not entirely true but there is probably some truth to it. But if McKay is not on the same page because he wont practice hard, thats on him not Prohm.

Regardless its March or bust now for McKay.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
dozens of sources have confirmed.....

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
You wonder if that's 'totally true' about Jameel. He better not have printed that if he didn't have some concrete info. I certainly will be asking someone who will know without question. As for the game plan against us and Georges, its pretty much spot on. Makes you wonder how we've won as much as we have, doesn't it? Offensive efficiency, I guess. Sad part is, Georges probably knows it too and that has to wear on a player who knows he's extremely counted on. Heck they all are.

My question moving forward is...is Prohm letting the players run (and I'm hearing he calls very few himself at needed times) all the same plays just because he didn't want to mess with continuity, or is it an area he lacks in his young coaching career that we should be concerned about? Having asked that, its probably not a very fair question, tho, at this time. Inheriting almost a whole team thats been under the same staff can't be easy. Besides, its not like we hired a Power 5 conference coaching veteran. Fred's success was going to make it almost impossible not to question an up-and-comer in the coaching ranks when something doesn't go well.
The problem with this team is not the offense.